Hertz Car Rental at Hong Kong/Kowloon

Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Hertz Car Rental at Hong Kong/Kowloon

I rented a car from Hertz in Hong Kong from August 15 to 17, 2014, and I wanted to share my experience here. I found very little information before my trip, so hopefully this will be useful to someone in the future.

Reservations: Hertz does not have its own rental counters in Hong Kong, and there are no Hertz (or Avis etc.) counters at the Hong Kong International Airport (HKG). Instead, Hertz has an independent licensee with offices at the Hong Kong and Kowloon MTR stations. The independent licensee is German Automobiles Ltd., whose website is here: http://www.garentacar.com/Short%20Term%20Rental.html. You may be able to reserve an entry-level car online through hertz.com, but for anything else, you'll have to call or email.
  1. You can call Hertz international, who will be able to quote you prices (although all the prices are the same as in the link above) and request a reservation.
  2. You can call the licensee directly at +852 2525 1313.
  3. You can email the licensee at [email protected].

I went with route #1, but the Hertz "request" system is cumbersome and slow: after a week, my reservation had not yet been confirmed, so at the suggestion of the Hertz agent, I called the licensee in Hong Kong and immediately squared away the details with a gentleman named Rick. I selected a Class M car, a Mercedes Benz SLK 200, for 2800 HK$/day (US$361). I then received confirmation by email, and I responded with copies of my US drivers license, international drivers license (required -- get one from AAA in the US, or your issuer outside the US), passport, and an insurance declaration form that was sent by Rick via email.

Location/Pickup: I arranged to pick up my car at the Hong Kong MTR station. I would be coming by ferry from Macau into Sheung Wan, so it's a quick taxi ride or one stop on the MTR to Central followed by a long walk. Just get yourself to the Airport Express check-in counters at Hong Kong Station (where you check your bags, etc.). Then take the elevator one floor down to L1, look to your right, and you can't miss it over there by the 7-Eleven. The whole office is heavily branded with Hertz. You can pick up the cars elsewhere but for a fee, something like HK $300 anywhere on Hong Kong Island, $450 at the airport. Given the small volume of rentals, high fuel prices, etc., all of the prices for the rental and these services seem fair although high by US standards.

The cars are kept in the adjacent car park. Having sent in my insurance form in advance, I didn't have to wait long for the car. My plans had changed a little, so I negotiated an extra day for HK $2000 (US $258).

Note that the insurance excess/deductible was HK $60,000 (US $7742). I used my Amex Platinum without difficulty but you might want call your credit card company in advance if this isn't in your normal spending habit -- Rick phrased this as a "deposit," so it might be run as an actual charge along with the rental fee, rather than as a pre-authorization. There is no option to decline the LDW or anything: all insurance is included, subject to your liability for the excess.

I was given some pretty specific instructions as to where I could and could not go. Everything made sense (no China, no certain parts of Lantau, etc.). Failure to fill up the gas tank is $600 (US $77) per quarter-tank, which is a lot even at $77 (US $10) per gallon for the gas.

Car: The car was beautiful, as were the drives and the weather. We drove up Victoria Peak, round the back to Stanley Bay to buy some art and things, and, the next day, out east to Po Toi O for some fresh chilli ginger crab (all highly recommended). The first three pictures below are from the Hertz website. The following pictures are mine.

Stock pictures:

On the Peak:

View from the Peak:

Stanley:

Po Toi O (fishing village):

Hong Kong/Victoria Harbour at night:

Return: Return was a little harrowing: I had again gone to Macau (leaving the car in the Sheung Wan car park overnight), and I returned on a 13:30 ferry--needing to fuel up the car, return it, and make it to the airport for a 17:40 flight back to New York. The ferry pulled in at 14:40 to the longest immigration queue ever. We were out of that by 15:30 and then began the mad search for a petrol station -- but I couldn't find my phone (!) and there were suddenly no Essos or Shells to be found. (It turns out that I had lost my phone in Macau, which is another story.) Some Taiwan independence protest had tens of thousands out in the streets, making traffic even better than usual (link). I tried asking some pedestrians but of course no one would know where a petrol station is who doesn't use a car, so at 16:05 I pulled into the Airport Express station, checked in for my flight (deadline was 16:10), ran down to the Hertz office, and the gentleman there (David) pointed out an Esso on a map, which he let me keep. It was distressingly easy to find if you're looking for it: you just head east from the station on Connaught Road, go past the "Welcome to Wan Chai" sign, and hang a left on Arsenal Road, and it's right there. Full service, of course, so filling up was very quick. Then you can hop out onto Gloucester Road and cruise back to the station. We made it back by 16:25. David took a few minutes to check in the car (note: they are meticulous about scratches, so be careful, but they do not appear dishonest like the folks in Germany). I then had to follow him upstairs to sign off on a form, and he confirmed that the full deposit "would be returned" to my credit card. I made a 16:40 train to the airport and arrived at 17:05. Barely made it to the gate at 17:20.

Other: Driving in Hong Kong is very difficult if you're easily offended or if you're from Anchorage or some other lovely place without traffic. It is no herculean feat at all, though, if you've dealt with NY, DC, Paris, etc. Be prepared to use your phone navigation, as apparently the built-in GPS systems aren't so great with all the mountains and tunnels.
  • Lanes are on the narrow side, and it took an hour or so for me to get used to driving on the right side of the car/left side of the road (this was my first time driving right-hand drive). I found the signage to be incredibly helpful, especially as compared with Seoul, where I had driven earlier in the week.
  • I should respond to those (easily offended?) people who express shock, disgust, etc., in response to any discussion of driving in large cities. Yes, the subway is faster, cleaner, cheaper, and more reliable. I agree with you, there. I drive because I like it better. Driving around Hong Kong and the New Territories was an incredible experience--having been to Hong Kong several times before and seeing it only from the tunnels and walkways, I loved seeing how the neighborhoods blend and blur, and I loved having the freedom to pick a road and follow it to its end.
  • There are speed cameras all around. I don't know whether I was picked up by any. I tried to go slow/at a reasonable pace in the city but flow of traffic picks up when it can. There was some fast driving on the way to Stanley -- a dual-plated (China/HK) AMG was in front of me whipping around the curves and the little SLK tracked with it the whole way. I did get pulled over, of all things, for making a right turn at a no-right-turn intersection. I had a green light, but there was a no-right-turn sign. The police officer was not good with English but when I showed him the International Driving License, he said, "ok. I give you one warning." and that was that.
  • Other thoughts (let me know if I missed anything): Get an Octopus Card (HK $50 deposit, load with minimum HK $100) for parking (as well as for paying for lots of other things at stores). Almost all parking garages and meters are Octopus Card only -- you just tap it and go. Many garages are HK $10-15/hour; the one at the Sheung Wan ferry terminal was on the high end at HK $25/hour but super convenient as you park directly above the boarding area for Turbo Jet & Cotai Jet. In Kowloon, I parked once for free near Mody Road, and another time for HK $52/2 hours at the Langham hotel for easy walking access to 1881 Heritage and the Star Ferry Pier.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
Thanks for sharing.. sweet ride..

although I have to admit that I will not dare to drive in HK.. :P
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
...and for the shout out about ANC

Guess I best not drive in HKG

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.