Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Likely UK Fleet for Hertz in London - Audi A4 or "similar"?

Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Aadvantage Platinum

I'll be renting in London and the contract says: G00 (PDAR) PREMIUM 4DR AUTOMATIC AIR G AUDI A4. OR SIMILAR

What might be "similar" to an Audi?

If they have to bump me up (I will be rent on May 1 - a holiday) to a better car what might that be?

I am concerned about a vehicle that wouldn't be covered by Amex Premium insurance. They don't cover many of the higher end models.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold 5*, United,Virgin and AA
Originally Posted by wholelottamiles

If they have to bump me up (I will be rent on May 1 - a holiday) to a better car what might that be?
Its not a holiday -the holiday is on Monday 5th May
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
If it's LHR, where upgrades are a rarity. At non-corporate sites, upgrades may even be an impossibility.

They do have a fairly diverse fleet but I usually rent a small car in the UK so I couldn't tell you what they have at the moment, sorry.

However it may well be that you can exchange it for something like a Ford Mondeo and have the rate adjusted downwards (based on what it would have been when you originally booked) if you need to preserve coverage.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
I am sure that this exact same question was asked (by someone else) not that long ago.

As far as I can tell, the Audi A4 is the only car that Hertz has in that Group. Indeed, once you get beyond Group X (which is the class below this one), there tends to be a 1 to 1 mapping between Group and available car.

Hertz will be very unkeen to upgrade you beyond this Group, as they are much tighter on upgrades at LHR than you may be used to. But if they do, then possibilities are that they will give you an A4 Avant, an Audi A6 (saloon or Avant), or perhaps an SUV like vehicle, of which they have Volvo XC60s and XC90s and Mitsubishi Shoguns at present. There is some very high end stuff (Merc S Class, Range Rover etc), but your chances of getting this for free are very slight.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:01 am

I have been upgraded from an A4 to a Mercedes S class, but you can be assured that is unusual - they obviously had nothing else with automatic transmission left in the pound.
As well as A4, there are also A5 and some larger Volvos on fleet, that they may consider suitable.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:12 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
True, they do have the A5 Sportback. It is a separate category, but would be "close" for upgrade purposes.

I am biased, as I have an S5 Sportback as my daily driver, but it is a very nice car indeed.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
I have an Audi A4 booked to pick up in London.

Planning to drive up to Birmingham and back to London. Will one tank of petrol be enough?

Does anyone know if the Audi A4 is petrol or diesel?

Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
It will be diesel. And one tank will be plenty to go from London to Birmingham and back.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Chucksta
I have an Audi A4 booked to pick up in London.

Planning to drive up to Birmingham and back to London. Will one tank of petrol be enough?

Does anyone know if the Audi A4 is petrol or diesel?

Thanks
Definitely diesel, and ample range. That car will (at rough 5L/100km, and with a 61L tank) go about 1200km on a single tank, enough for at least three LHR-Birmingham round trips.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by wholelottamiles

I am concerned about a vehicle that wouldn't be covered by Amex Premium insurance. They don't cover many of the higher end models.
Amex Premium Rental Insurance is primary, and covers sports cars and luxury vehicles.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:05 am

The issue with Amex insurance is that it only operates on vehicles up to a certain value, so some vehicles (such as Merc S class) won't be covered as they're over the limit. I think the exact limit varies, depending on which country issued your card. If I recall, for UK cards it's £50,000 limit.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:07 am

All Hertz vehicles in the UK have a sticker on the fuel cap, showing which fuel to use. You can be 99.9% sure your A4 is going to be diesel, and will hardly use any of the stuff.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:56 am

Will be enougth infact more then enougth, I have driven from Manchester to London (edgeware) and back to Milton Keynes and I am just above half a tank. That would cost presntly around £30 woth of fuel in a Diesel which the A4 will be.

My suggestions stay on motorway or roads you dont need to stop on much as the A4 is not the best at economy on local road but motorway seems to be fine just turn on the cruise crontol and set the speed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.