Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New mile limit?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

New mile limit?

I am Hertz gold member. Normally I travel around 1200 miles during 3 day period (weekend). Today I just quoted my neighbourhood Hertz online. I am surprised by that there is no unlimited free mile. Instead, it only includes 900 free mile. I have to pay $0.09 each extra mile. I didn't use any PC or RQ. I wonder if this is a permanent or temporary policy? Or even worse, just for me?

Last edited by bulletin2007; Apr 10, 2014 at 3:40 pm
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bulletin2007
I am Hertz gold member. Normally I travel around 1200 miles during 3 day period (weekend). Today I just quoted my neighbourhood Hertz online. I am surprised by that there is no unlimited free mile. Instead, it only includes 900 free mile. I have to pay $0.09 each extra mile. I didn't use any PC or RQ. I wonder if this is a permanent or temporary policy? Or even worse, just for me?
If you are renting from a HLE, then the location may not want you putting 400+ miles per day on its vehicles. This thread from a couple of years ago might apply to you.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:54 pm

:O If that becomes widespread, I can tell you that I'm definitely not renting with Hertz anymore... 60% of my rentals are only ~100-200miles/day, but the other 40% of my rentals work out to be 400-500 miles/day
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:21 pm

Which class of vehicles were you reserving? I've seen luxury and small SUV come with mileage limits in our area recently. Also any rate codes you might have used that ended with low numbers like LOCE2 will have mileage restrictions but a lower base rate.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Which location is it? Many franchised HLEs impose mileage limits.

-J.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CTNYC
:O If that becomes widespread, I can tell you that I'm definitely not renting with Hertz anymore... 60% of my rentals are only ~100-200miles/day, but the other 40% of my rentals work out to be 400-500 miles/day
I am pretty sure Hertz will not care they lose a customer who is putting 400 miles a day on a vehicle. Hertz want a car to last 12-18 months 100 miles per day is a sweet spot for them.

That being said I have seen it appear when some promo codes and rate codes are used and only on the better vehicles mainly!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by AndDee
I am pretty sure Hertz will not care they lose a customer who is putting 400 miles a day on a vehicle. Hertz want a car to last 12-18 months 100 miles per day is a sweet spot for them.

That being said I have seen it appear when some promo codes and rate codes are used and only on the better vehicles mainly!
That may be, but some will put 40 miles on a car in one day, some will put 400 They Most rentals seem to be getting 20-25k miles/year anyway, and if they don't value my loyalty, I'm sure Avis wouldn't mind having me
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Knoxville, TN
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Which location is it? Many franchised HLEs impose mileage limits.

-J.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

I checked it on priceline. It also showed that my local HLE enforced the 900 mile limit. It seems a regional policy.
Anyway, I rented from Enterprise. It has a 2500 mile limit and lower rental fee. I may switch to enterprise in the future.
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
If you are renting from a HLE, then the location may not want you putting 400+ miles per day on its vehicles. This thread from a couple of years ago might apply to you.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
AAA CDP 1 and USAA CDP 77694 both provide free unlimited mileage on "most" rentals. Do they work on this location?

You can join USAA for free. You do not have to be military to be a member, just to be an insurance eligible member.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_member...fo?action=init
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
I was curious so I just did a dummy booking for a Compact vehicle for a 3-day rental over a weekend. The daily rate was an amazingly low $12.xx on a Pay Later with the LDW at $22.99/day?!?! (I live in CA where it is $9/day... I can appreciate some of the local rental car regulations now looking at other states!). The vehicle did say 900 Free Miles with each additional mile being .09 (cents). The HLE locations were all listed as corporate. I used the AAA CDP.

Interesting regional policy that Hertz has there. Hopefully that doesn't spread around more.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I noticed that several companies had mileage caps in Montana when we went there 3 years ago. I think Avis was the only one that didn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.