Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I'm Renting a Manager's Special; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I'm Renting a Manager's Special; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: (Spire Ambassador)(Diamond-HH/Hyatt)(Plat MR, SPG, Delta)(National Exec/Hertz 5*)
Either of these would work for me but I have been wanting to drive the new Avalon, usually they give me an Azera. I have a pickup at DCA tomorrow morning Then returning at IAD the next day and taking a separate reservation from Sat-Tues...it was cheaper that way and the drop fee was only $5. Plus i figured if I didn't like the car I could always switch to something else. In for $62 total with taxes for the weekend.

Originally Posted by CTNYC
Manager's Special - PC Member
DCA
Carfirmation: 2015 Buick LaCrosse (3k miles)
Requested/Assigned: 2013 Toyota Avalon (31k miles)

Not a huge fan of the LaCrosse (Feels unsecure/soft maneuvering around corners/the city) and I have driven the car several times now - Nice car overall, but wanted to try something new... Now I know - the current gen Avalon has a really crappy touch sensitive radio (Will change channels/audio source on bumps)
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by tyler45150
Either of these would work for me but I have been wanting to drive the new Avalon, usually they give me an Azera. I have a pickup at DCA tomorrow morning Then returning at IAD the next day and taking a separate reservation from Sat-Tues...it was cheaper that way and the drop fee was only $5. Plus i figured if I didn't like the car I could always switch to something else. In for $62 total with taxes for the weekend.
I've taken the Avalon on Ubers before and I am not a fan of them. Comes off to me as a glorified Camry.

OTOH... my go-to rental is the LaCrosse

-J.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:36 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Today's manager special at LGA was an A Class 2015 Chevy Spark 1LT. While I was underwhelmed by the assignment, I must say being able to squeeze into a tiny free street parking space in front of my building was nice.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Ironbark
We got a Dodge Durango at YYC, paid $25 CAD a day for the MS^
Good to hear! I booked the MS in YYC for early October. Says it is a 4 pax, 2 large suitcases. A Durango would be fine.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Today's manager special at LGA was an A Class 2015 Chevy Spark 1LT. While I was underwhelmed by the assignment, I must say being able to squeeze into a tiny free street parking space in front of my building was nice.
The HLE in Evanston, IL gave me one of those earlier this month, despite reserving a B-class car. I didn't have to parallel park it that day, but that and the high gas mileage were about the only benefits to that car.

Well, another benefit would be, if you run out of gas, you can pick up the car and carry it to the gas station *rimshot*.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:54 am

DCA
10/2
Manager's special was a Mitsubishi Mirage. Fortunately, I had a backup reservation and ended up with a Mazda3.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Any experience with this manager special and being a president's circle?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Yes, I got a Yaris.

But when I asked I got a Kia-something for free. It wasn't fancy, but acceptable for the price.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:18 am

JFK (One-Way to Manhattan)
2015 F6 Nissan Altima S (25,500 miles on the odometer) with free NeverLost.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Yes, I got a Yaris.

But when I asked I got a Kia-something for free. It wasn't fancy, but acceptable for the price.
So garbage.....I think I'll pay the $4 for the intermediate so at least I can escape to the Gold Choice line in case i get a dumpy car
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
So garbage.....I think I'll pay the $4 for the intermediate so at least I can escape to the Gold Choice line in case i get a dumpy car
Absolutely. Can't see any reason to use a Manager's Special unless it's quite a bit cheaper.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:46 am

FWIW, JFK was completely sold out of cars last night (about 9 pm) and the Gold Choice section was empty so you would have been stuck with whatever they gave you. I actually had to wait about 20 min in line to get a car assignment (remind me again why I am President's Circle?)

I believe the A6 rate was about $20 cheaper than the midsize for last night (AAA CDP).

I agree that my Manger's Specials haven't been anything like that. If I care at all about the quality of the car, I will book at least a midsize and take my chances with Gold Choice.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: American Ex Plat, Avis Presidents, Hertz - Preidents Circle, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Rented from the Philly airport this weekend and also got a Yaris as the Managers Special. When I said that the PC always came with a one class upgrade I was told this did not apply with the MS. The car is a joke ..... Then again I am only paying $100 for four days including the $60 of airport fees.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM HHonors Diamond
I am PC and foolishly reserved the MS at DTW tonight. When I arrived at Hertz, my name was not on the board, and when I inquired the desk told me that they were out of subcompacts but expected returns soon. I explained that I reserved the Managers Special and requested any other car. The clerk reiterated that I reserved a subcompact and would have to wait. I asked to see the manager, who seemed equally ignorant of the MS concept and was equally unwilling to help. After 15 minutes, I was given a Yaris with 26,000 miles.

Hertz DTW seemed to go out of its way tonight to give me the worst car it could, making me wait for 15 minutes in the process. I felt like Joe Pesci after visiting the drive through in Lethal Weapon 2.

I do not plan to reserve the MS in the future at DTW or any other location.
Old May 5, 2016, 11:14 am

AUS one way to HOU (Hobby)
Booked the manager's special and I'm just regular gold status - was told to go into the gold choice lane and choose whatever I wanted. Grabbed an Elantra with 7k miles and active Sat radio. Saved $100 over booking that same class during my trip last week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.