Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Decisions, decisions Camaro SS or Challenger R/T

Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it

Hi all,

I've not driven either of these cars before. They are both coming up at a reasonable price (same for both) for my rental period - they are however different rental categories.

Whilst I am very prepared to believe it's too much of a subjective question but thought I'd check in case there is a clear winner. Perhaps there is something in the models Hertz uses which would steer the average customer to one over the other?

Which would be the recommend car? I'm after something fun to drive, I'm not concerned about fuel economy and there will only be me and one bag.

So, the Chevy Camaro SS (PBAR category) or the Dodge Challenger R/T (ISAR)?

Cheers,
Adey
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Having driven the Camaro, I'd vote Challenger. Really, I don't know, I've not driven the Challenger and I only had the V6 Camaro RS, but I took it on a long highway drive and it was hella uncomfortable, so I'd recommend against on that alone.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
This question has arisen many times before.

You may wish to review this post .

FWIW, i've driven both, and the 5 litre GT Mustang. The post above contains links to reviews I published elsewhere.

All three cars tend to be the same price. They are only in different categories so that if you book one, you should get the one you booked, not a random lottery on which car they actually have available. Hertz generally have good stocks of all three models in their fleet.

If it were me, I'd pick the Camaro SS, in Convertible guise if I was somewhere with decent weather... but the Challenger is a good drive and does have more space in it for people and luggage (though you sound like this is not a decision criteria for you).

Have fun!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA,UA SLV, SPG GLD,Hyatt GP Plat.,National Exec., Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mradey
Hi all,

I've not driven either of these cars before. They are both coming up at a reasonable price (same for both) for my rental period - they are however different rental categories.

Whilst I am very prepared to believe it's too much of a subjective question but thought I'd check in case there is a clear winner. Perhaps there is something in the models Hertz uses which would steer the average customer to one over the other?

Which would be the recommend car? I'm after something fun to drive, I'm not concerned about fuel economy and there will only be me and one bag.

So, the Chevy Camaro SS (PBAR category) or the Dodge Challenger R/T (ISAR)?

Cheers,
Adey
Neither. Get the Mustang GT. It's the best of them all. I really enjoyed the gt over all the others! haha
Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:28 am

Corvette available? No trunk space but lots of fun!

SS Camaro is a great all rounder, fairly quick, handles better than the Challenger or GT Mustang, comfortable, good steering wheel shift auto and great brakes.

GT Mustang is at least a second quicker 0-60 than the SS but is nowhere near as sharp handling and brakes are pretty average.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
Thanks for all the replies.

The Mustang GT isn't available for the dates I require at the rental location so that is, unfortunately, out of the question.

I'm tempted to split the rental in two and have both for a week but that would entail returning to Los Angeles from Las Vegas just for the swap. Perhaps not too bad considering the cars I'll be driving

Thank you Red Scorpion for the link to a similar post. Nice reviews you linked to, too.

I've looked at some online reviews and they seem to mirror the slight bias towards the Camaro I'm seeing here. Maybe it's the Camaro......

I'll post some pics of the eventual vehicle (few months away yet)!

Adey
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by mradey
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm tempted to split the rental in two and have both for a week but that would entail returning to Los Angeles from Las Vegas just for the swap. Perhaps not too bad considering the cars I'll be driving

I'll post some pics of the eventual vehicle (few months away yet)!

Adey
Why not try a one way? return after the first week in Vegas and pick up the other then return after the second week at Lax. Do up a quote and see what the drop fees are like, if any! usually close airport locations don't mind giving up adrenaline and prestige cause they both have a healthy amount in their fleets. I did this in Orlando driving up from Miami. Had a GLK 350 which I returned to Orlando then took an Infinity G37 which I returned in Miami. No drop fees

I have a Camaro SS convertible booked the last weekend in August I'll be sure to give you a review. I think for your purpose especially the LAX to LAS roadtrip go convertible.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA,UA SLV, SPG GLD,Hyatt GP Plat.,National Exec., Hertz Platinum
Lol you don't even have to go back to lax. Exchange the car in Vegas. They're bound to have mustang gt's. It's so simple. I do it all the time. In fact, I swapped my navigator that I got from lax 4 times in sfo before I returned to lax in a suburban. You don't have to book one way or anything, just tell them you want the gt at the Vegas airport and they'll give it to you
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I actually rented the Challenger and the Camaro back to back. The Camaro is faster and more nimble, but it's ugly as sin (personal opinion) and has the worst visibility of any car I've ever been in. The Challenger is more form than function, with really classic styling, but it's much more comfortable and spacious. I wouldn't even bother with the Camaro, if you own anything relatively sporty at home I think it'll be a disappointment (IE: I drive an M3 and found the Camaro to be pretty lacking in handling/fun as well as comfort).

The Challenger would be my pick. It's not exactly a rocket ship, nor does it handle like a Porsche, but it's got a feeling of classic Americana which I think would make the drive from LA to Vegas and cruises on the Vegas strip more fun.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
As most of the others have said the Challenger to me would be the better choice for a road trip from someone who has a lot of experience with these cars. Better yet I think you should get a Corvette!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:14 am

Programs: hertz gold #1
the challenger felt massive to me , big over wieght barge that was more looks than action

try for a vette , theyre great fun

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.