Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prestige Car Changes in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Location: Work/Melbourne Victoria - Home/McKinney, TX (Dallas)
Programs: AA 7.8 MM EXP, QF P1, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium(Life), Hilton DIA, IHG RA, HZ PLAT
Thumbs up Prestige Car Changes in Australia

A bit of a bright light in the horizon (and it's not a speeding Hyundai heading at us) - for those who rent "down under".

Beginning in March, Hertz Oz is to begin introducing BMW's into their fleet (under an exclusive agreement with BMW - no other rental agency in OZ will have BMW's).

The cars I've been told we'll start to see on the East Coast (and slowly move west to WA) - will be 3Series, X1, X3 and X5's.

The current MB C200's will roll off the fleet at the end of their registration. I've not heard if they'll be offeirng them for sale as they do with their Holdens, Fords and Toyotas. I'd be curious if they do offer them for sale; what the price would be.

Current C200's (the base model in the fleet) - MSRP around $66K (with our Stamp Duty's and associated taxes). This would be a decent spare vehicle for our household - if the price was "reasonable". Now, a reasonable price in Australia vs. the rest of the world are normally not uttered in the same sentence due to the absurdley high prices we get charged by the manufactors (Audi, BMW, MB).

But - back on topic; will be looking forward to driving the 3 series in a few months!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
I can only imagine the ridiculous charges they would impose what would probably be lowest grade models.

Don't forget the retail of these cars in Australia is about twice of what they go for in US.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Location: Work/Melbourne Victoria - Home/McKinney, TX (Dallas)
Programs: AA 7.8 MM EXP, QF P1, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium(Life), Hilton DIA, IHG RA, HZ PLAT
I think I said that...

Originally Posted by aces_high
I can only imagine the ridiculous charges they would impose what would probably be lowest grade models.

Don't forget the retail of these cars in Australia is about twice of what they go for in US.
I believe that was the point I was making too mate "Now, a reasonable price in Australia vs. the rest of the world are normally not uttered in the same sentence due to the absurdley high prices we get charged by the manufactors (Audi, BMW, MB)."

It's actually more than double -- our 2008 750Li Series ($94KMSRP, we got for $83K back in 2008); was selling for $324K here back in Jan 2009 (when I last checked prices). That's BMW mainly charging an absurdly high base rate + the LCT (Luxury Car Tax) on vehicles prices above X $ with a low L/100KM rating. I believe that base $ is now $55K or so. Some cars had LCT over over $35K (enough for a Mini or other 2nd car in the US!).

Even without the LCT (which people still debate where the money goes/what it's used for by the gov't) - the luxury marques still have uber high base rates; AND there's usually a queue/backlog of folks waiting for their cars (at least for the lower series e.g. BMW 1's and 3's). A strange market dynamic is in place here in OZ on luxury cars.

Of course - it's a First World problem to gripe about this... otherwise, tis a joy living and working down under for the past 5 years!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:26 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Great news

The C200's come out of their 12 months between May-September 2013

As for pricing, the FULL SIZE cars here cost about $40k onroad

The X1 is about the same as that $42k
X3 $70k
3 Series $60k++
X5 $90k++

Will be interested to see what Hertz get and the pricing
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
Great news!

Whilst I like the C200 Merc's, I'd like to be able to rent a 3 or 5 series BMW.

Hopefully they'll have good deals!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
How long do they keep the C200's for? I guess what I'm getting at is whether they are the current C200 or the C200K that MB used to put out (I think the 2nd iteration of this shape C class was in 2010 sometime?).

Have booked one for PER in March; decided to pay a bit more over a Camry (or whatever else they have in the FCAR class).

Found it interesting that they had 1 available for pick up at Mulligan Street.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
How long do they keep the C200's for? I guess what I'm getting at is whether they are the current C200 or the C200K that MB used to put out (I think the 2nd iteration of this shape C class was in 2010 sometime?).

Have booked one for PER in March; decided to pay a bit more over a Camry (or whatever else they have in the FCAR class).
They are the C200, the current model, as I said above they are all May 2012 onwards.

They keep them for 12 months in most cases
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller

Found it interesting that they had 1 available for pick up at Mulligan Street.
Don't think Hertz ever had the C200K (supercharged).. Only the C200CGI (turbocharged).
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:20 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by AndDee
They are the C200, the current model, as I said above they are all May 2012 onwards.

They keep them for 12 months in most cases
Annual renewal is normal for rego but doesn't mean they only keep them for 12 months, thought they might keep them for 2 years.

The website says C200K so was wondering - good news if it's C200 CGI only - better vehicle on paper.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
Are they keeping the Lexus cars?

When I was there last spring I had an IS and then an RX...... they were notably more expensive than the Falcon/Commodore type cars, and to be honest the IS was a huge disappointment, though the fact that they did handle any toll liabilities on all Prestige rentals in Sydney was useful.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Red Scorpion
Are they keeping the Lexus cars?
They have been out of the fleet for quite some time now!

At least 12 months
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: QF SG,Velocity WP, HI Diamond, Accor Platinum
The mumbles of the BMW fleet are:
118i
323i
X3 2.0i
X5 3.0D

They will start coming onto fleet in March alongside some other new models (not quite as exciting!) Natural assumption is Melbourne and Sydney airports to be the first to receive the new fleet.

Will post more when I know more solid information.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by austgap
The mumbles of the BMW fleet are:
118i
323i
X3 2.0i
X5 3.0D

They will start coming onto fleet in March alongside some other new models (not quite as exciting!) Natural assumption is Melbourne and Sydney airports to be the first to receive the new fleet.

Will post more when I know more solid information.
Do you have any idea what the other new models you refer to are and what they will replace?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by AdMEL
Do you have any idea what the other new models you refer to are and what they will replace?
I can certainly find out the entire list - remember though that some states get particular vehicles and others don't depending on demands for the vehicle on fleet.

The replacement is a bit harder as again it depends on age/mileage - all I do know is that Falcon's days can't end soon enough
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:44 pm

The BMWs have now been loaded onto Hertz.com.au - of course not available yet. Will be interested to see the takeup of the X5s. Expect low volume (less then 10 each state) of all the BMWs until at least August though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.