Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum for $1,350 worth it? curbside?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, United GS, Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Platinum for $1,350 worth it? curbside?

I did 27 rentals or 2012, Mostly SFO, SJC and occasional OAK.

I love SJC since the lot is across the street and a 3 min walk from the terminal.

SFO, you have to ride AirTran, and that whole process takes 15 min. Oakland, the bus I've had to wait for the 2nd bus since the 1st was full. 20-25 min!

There's not much info on platinum, but if curbside pickup was available I think it'd be worth it. Sounds like at Dropoff you pull up the the rental lot, and they drive you curbside which definitely saves the 15min or so.

Anyone have platinum & know benefits at SFO, SJC, OAK? I usually rent full size and get a decent car,but upgrades would be nice.

I'd be expensing the $1,350, and at 25-30 rentals, figure it's an extra $50 per rental and if letting me not miss a meeting or a flight once or twice it'd be worth it. the extra 4 hr rental window is nice and that'll probably save some money as well.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 1:07 am

Programs: UA LifetimeGS, DL LifetimePM, HH Dia, Bonvoy Ambassador, IHG Plat, Avis Chairman, Hertz Plat
YMMV - there is curbside pickup but it is not consistent from airport to airport. SFO does have it but you have to call when you are ready for a pickup. They send a towncar to get you at a mutually agreed upon door number. This is where it is tricky - 50% of the time, it takes longer than the Airtrain. A few times I tried to game the system by calling while I was walking down the jetway and the car showed up early and had to go back due to the fact that there was no stopping allowed curbside. Timing for pickups is hit or miss if you really are trying to "fold time and space" as it is not perfect. There is no curbside pickup for Avis Chairman's Preferred that I have found in the dozen or so airports I frequent domestically so Hertz does get the edge on this. By the way, your first encounter at each new airport will likely not be a curbside pickup as you will have to get a local dispatch number at the Hertz rental office. I have not gotten a straight answer if there is a master database of phone numbers floating around. Given all the stations, I can see the challenge but with technology today...you get the picture.

I do love the drop off service as I am cutting it close every time I get to the airport. A funny thing happened last month at SFO as my driver was pulled over for speeding while getting me back to the terminal. I certainly didn't ask him to do so and the remainder of the ride was a little awkward. Both Avis and Hertz have great service on returns but I give the edge to Hertz as you drive to a different location while Avis pulls you out of the return line after letting them know you are a Chairman.

Cars are usually good but I showed up Christmas Eve and all they had was an Altima (granted it only had 37 miles). I asked the 2 gals (who both couldn't have been much older than 21) in the office about a better car and they looked at me and shrugged. As far as cars go, I have to give the edge to Avis in SFO as all the upgraded cars have Toll Tags and that is really critical if you cross the bridges in the Bay Area.

Apparently there are more Hertz Platinum renters at SFO than any other location.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:25 pm

Not worth it, more like glorified PC status IMO but Hertz Platinum gives you a pro-rated refund if you're not satisfied with the service. (better check the T&C to see if they still offer refunds).
Old Dec 28, 2012, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Well-worn thread started a couple of years ago http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...num-worth.html with the most recent post from earlier this year.
I'm a firm believer that it's very good value for money, particularly if you build a relationship with the manager(s) at the location(s) where you rent most often. I know drzoidberg disagrees . I've been treated very well at many locations: the worst I've found are RDU and CLT ... I've had locations find vehicles, sometimes multiple vehicles, for me at the very short notice and in 'sold-out' situations.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Well-worn thread started a couple of years ago http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...num-worth.html with the most recent post from earlier this year.
I'm a firm believer that it's very good value for money, particularly if you build a relationship with the manager(s) at the location(s) where you rent most often. I know drzoidberg disagrees . I've been treated very well at many locations: the worst I've found are RDU and CLT ... I've had locations find vehicles, sometimes multiple vehicles, for me at the very short notice and in 'sold-out' situations.
I agree that it is a great deal, depending on which airports you rent from. I loved it in ATL because I got great upgrades and the curbside pickup and dropoff. Unfortunately, most of my rentals were from the two locations mentioned above, so it was of no use to me.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
While I agree the personal relationship has tons of value I disagree you need to be a Plat to get that. I have been a PC for 10+ years and the 6-8 airports I frequent most all know me very well. Taking the time to go communicate with the staff can build that relationship. They are upset when they can't get me a Merc or a Volvo (when I rented a compact) every time because we have a relationship and they know/like me.

I actually just posted a question on what the threshold is for Plat because I refuse to pay another $1300 on top of the $8-10k I give them today. That's said I would like to at least try out Plat and see if the ride to the terminal is worth it. I get the upgrades every time and usually much more than 2 levels.

Your advise about getting to know the station managers is gold...I just do not think that and Plat are mutually exclusive.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, United GS, Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Thanks! this is what I was looking for.. tough call for sure if it's inconsistent on pickup. might be worth it for just dropoff to curbside. How much time do you think you save on that?
have you tried OAK?

Originally Posted by sumfungai
YMMV - there is curbside pickup but it is not consistent from airport to airport. SFO does have it but you have to call when you are ready for a pickup. They send a towncar to get you at a mutually agreed upon door number. This is where it is tricky - 50% of the time, it takes longer than the Airtrain. A few times I tried to game the system by calling while I was walking down the jetway and the car showed up early and had to go back due to the fact that there was no stopping allowed curbside. Timing for pickups is hit or miss if you really are trying to "fold time and space" as it is not perfect. There is no curbside pickup for Avis Chairman's Preferred that I have found in the dozen or so airports I frequent domestically so Hertz does get the edge on this. By the way, your first encounter at each new airport will likely not be a curbside pickup as you will have to get a local dispatch number at the Hertz rental office. I have not gotten a straight answer if there is a master database of phone numbers floating around. Given all the stations, I can see the challenge but with technology today...you get the picture.

I do love the drop off service as I am cutting it close every time I get to the airport. A funny thing happened last month at SFO as my driver was pulled over for speeding while getting me back to the terminal. I certainly didn't ask him to do so and the remainder of the ride was a little awkward. Both Avis and Hertz have great service on returns but I give the edge to Hertz as you drive to a different location while Avis pulls you out of the return line after letting them know you are a Chairman.

Cars are usually good but I showed up Christmas Eve and all they had was an Altima (granted it only had 37 miles). I asked the 2 gals (who both couldn't have been much older than 21) in the office about a better car and they looked at me and shrugged. As far as cars go, I have to give the edge to Avis in SFO as all the upgraded cars have Toll Tags and that is really critical if you cross the bridges in the Bay Area.

Apparently there are more Hertz Platinum renters at SFO than any other location.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:05 pm

I never enjoyed the vehicle upgrade success that UAPremExecFlyer experiences, but you may have better luck at your airports.

I would agree with avidflyer; get to know the station managers. This should get you vehicle upgrades better than any status ever will.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC
Well, until I feel like Hertz can get the benefits (consistently) right at the other Gold levels, I'm certainly not keen on 'taking a chance' and ponying up the extra money for Platinum. I get fine service as a President's Circle--but nothing particularly extraordinary or noteworthy. Hertz has a LONG way to go with making their frequent rental program something special--or worth throwing more money at.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by latony
There's not much info on platinum, but if curbside pickup was available I think it'd be worth it. Sounds like at Dropoff you pull up the the rental lot, and they drive you curbside which definitely saves the 15min or so.
Even though it'll save you the train time, I doubt it's going to save you 15 mins. According to Google maps, the drive from the rental car center to SFO is 3 miles and takes 8 minutes. Whilst I wouldn't expect it to take 8 minutes most of the time, at busy times it certainly can, especially if the lights aren't in your favor (there's 4 sets of them, and the only right turn one is a no-turn-on-red).

Last edited by docbert; Jan 11, 2013 at 12:29 am
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: UA LifetimeGS, DL LifetimePM, HH Dia, Bonvoy Ambassador, IHG Plat, Avis Chairman, Hertz Plat
Sorry for the delay as I have been in Bhutan the last 10 days. I have not tried OAK but SFO is very quick and I have to save somewhere between the 8 minutes quoted above up to 20 minutes (of course, this depends on which terminal you need to take the Airtran to). One thing I have started doing is calling the station ahead of time to tell them that I am 10 minutes away and they have a driver waiting for me. This minimizes the wait time to just having to check the car back in.

Is it worth $1300? Again, it is relative as each person's perspective on utility is different. If you are planning on getting this reimbursed as an expense, what have you got to lose? If you were to say you had $1300 to spend and Hertz Platinum was one of X choices, that would be a different discussion...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Did anyone get clarification on why there is a minimum credit score (700) to enroll?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:29 pm

Location: Base: EWR/LGA/JFK. 2016: BOM, DEL, HYD, BKK, SIN, HKG, ICN, NRT, LAX, SFO, DEN, ORD, BNA, IAH, MIA, MDE, BOG, CHO, IAD, LHR, LCY, FRA, ZRH, LIN, MXP
Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Ritz Lifetime Platinum Premier, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Don't do it. I had it last year over 40+ rentals, half were airports. It takes longer to get picked up than the shuttle half the time.

Luckily my company paid for it, so I don't feel burned.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:50 am

The 4 hour window was already a benefit of the centurion CDP number.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Aside from the rules and regulations, has anyone in practice found Platinum status to be of any use in European rentals?

I know for Avis Presidents Club, there are no stated benefits for Euro rentals, but in practice I'm treated very well at most Euro airport locations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.