Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs/Partners > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 3, 12, 8:49 am   #16
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 305
I can assure you Hertz is not rigging the gas gauges - they would not even begin to know how to do this.
oldgoldflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 12, 1:00 pm   #17
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SJC
Programs: WN CP, DL PLT, Hyatt DD, PC PLT, GC PLT, Hertz PC
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDee View Post
Yep I always fill up about 10-30miles away from where I return it

The cars I constantly get are never fully full anyways, so I just return the favor by playing the game

This gives it time to move back up to F

I am sure they are not going to check every single car and see how much gas they can pump into it and charge every single customer

They would only do this if it's not showing F
This used to be OK but not anymore. I spoke to station manager about this at a different airport and she mentioned Hertz instituted a new policy to prevent this exact scenario. AND, they are checking every car. After you return your car and they are being vacuumed and washed, they are supposed to top off the gas. If the top off calls for more than 0.15 Gal, they will bill you for the gas it takes for the top off to reach "gun pop FULL". The computer allows this fuel cost addition for up to 3 hrs from the closure of your rental. After 3 hours, the computer locks out this option. This effectively gives you about 3-4 miles radius from the airport, for refueling.

It depends on the station but I can tell this is being enforced because for cities like PDX and SEA, all the cars I've gotten are FULL-FULL. This is actually a good thing for consumers because I have gotten cars with digital gauge that shows full at rental but I could barely get out of the airport before a lose a bar on the digital gauge.

The problem I have, doesn't have a good option for me, Hertz wins in all cases. Because the gauge is slow, they could/would bill for the gas on the receipt at the time of return. However, I am very sure by the time they clean and top off, the gauge would have returned to FULL. The cleaning person won't be able to top off much gas, but that doesn't matter, because I was already billed.

I have been a Hertz customers for well over 10 years and maintained my status in all those years. I only noticed this is becoming a very common issue recently. For some reason, all the car SNA Hertz rent out seems to have slow moving gauges. I dont have similar issue at SEA or PDX and the gas station there are equally close to the Hertz return lot.
wlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 12, 1:35 pm   #18
Moderator: National Car
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SE MI
Programs: Delta GM, National Executive Elite, Hertz 5* PC, Hilton Gold, Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Posts: 1,181
First of all, like others, I don't think Hertz is systematically modifying gas gauges on their cars. Besides all of the consumer issues such a move would cause, the expense of modifying the fuel systems for hundreds of thousands of cars would certainly negate any profits to be earned from overcharging customers for an extra gallon or two of gas.

If the car is actually full when you return it, you won't get billed. If Hertz is actually doing what you say (fill up to top at time of vacuum and cleaning), and you returned the car full, you should not be charged anything regardless of what the gas gauge reads, especially if you have your receipt from a nearby gas station.

I can't see how a greeter would even be able to do what you say in the first place. Say the gauge is down 1/8, and reads 7/8, even though you just filled up. There is no way the greeter would even know how much to charge you for that 1/8; they would note it in the system as "not returned full" and then you'd be assessed the charges for what it takes to top the car off. For example, 1/8 of a tank on a Ford Taurus is not the same as on a Town and Country or a Dodge Ram. In such a scenario, what would you be billed? 2 gallons? 3 gallons? Greeter's choice? You can see how arbitrary this would be and how in practice impossible to implement. In truth, this is no different than the other reported cases on this forum of Hertz charging for fuel when it shouldn't. The same advice given in those threads holds true here. Save your receipt and the charges will be dropped in almost every case. If you're especially concerned, start taking a picture of the fuel gauge and the time stamp on there will verify the full tank.

The only possible way that this makes sense would be for them to charge whatever fuel it takes to top it off at cleaning time.

Last edited by dwbf11; Dec 3, 12 at 1:43 pm.
dwbf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 12, 4:05 pm   #19
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlau View Post
The problem I have, doesn't have a good option for me, Hertz wins in all cases. Because the gauge is slow, they could/would bill for the gas on the receipt at the time of return. However, I am very sure by the time they clean and top off, the gauge would have returned to FULL. The cleaning person won't be able to top off much gas, but that doesn't matter, because I was already billed.
THIS.

it sounds like you found a hertz location that has figured out it can get some easy money by taking advantage of a known mechanical issue with gas tank gauges. it is not hard to imagine that you are billed to "fill" a car whose gauge does not show the tank to be completely full, but no additional gas is added to the tank before it's rented out again (with a "full" tank, of course).

i doubt they ever top off the tank. they just take your money and hope you don't complain. if you complain enough, they'll take the fuel charge off, but expect the same routine the next time you return a car.

my advice is to document every time this happens, and complain in writing to the hertz location, hertz corporate, the SNA airport authority, and the attorney general.
__________________
--freedom isn't dumb--
crabbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 12, 9:44 pm   #20
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbing View Post
i doubt they ever top off the tank. they just take your money and hope you don't complain. if you complain enough, they'll take the fuel charge off, but expect the same routine the next time you return a car.
A fact-free post.
__________________
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome."
dayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 12, 3:13 pm   #21
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SJC
Programs: WN CP, DL PLT, Hyatt DD, PC PLT, GC PLT, Hertz PC
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbf11 View Post
I can't see how a greeter would even be able to do what you say in the first place. Say the gauge is down 1/8, and reads 7/8, even though you just filled up. There is no way the greeter would even know how much to charge you for that 1/8; they would note it in the system as "not returned full" and then you'd be assessed the charges for what it takes to top the car off.
If you are really a PC member, then I am shocked you haven't figure this out... If you return the vehicle with gas less than when you rented, as noted on the contract, regardless by how much less, then they will BILL YOU BY THE MILES YOU DRIVEN!! The computer calculates this automatically based on return odometer reading.

Hertz had a new policy earlier this year. If your drive less then 25 (or was that 50) miles during your rental, the handheld unit automatically populate the gas is not full field to "yes". The return attendant has to override and many forget to do so (accidentally or intentionally). I did a lot of rental for one day meeting, where my round trip is less than 20 miles and I have seen this happen repeatedly. In fact, one return attendant showed me the handheld screen.

What I am saying is that I've noticed Hertz has tighten up significantly in 2012 regarding gas. They are finding every way to charge you for gas, even though you filled it up. The fact is the fuel charge is buried under many line items and most people don't even notice it, unless you rent enough to know the system, or you are very careful with reading the receipt.
wlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 12, 3:35 pm   #22
Company Representative - Hertz
Award Winner
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4
I work for Hertz, we would never rig a fuel gauge. If you’re refueling just before you return and presenting a receipt and the location employee still insists on charging you, that is unacceptable and a problem I will fix. Send me a private note and I will take care of the issue. For the record, our policy is if the gauge reads full, and you put gas in the car before you returned, we will not charge you for fuel. That said, many renters drive few enough miles that the gauge still reads full, but they don't put any gas in the car before returning and may expect not to be charged for the fuel used since the guage is still full. However, fuel was used and we expect the customer to either replace the fuel, or be honest with us that they did not refuel and we charge them. Believe it or not, some customers are not honest.
HertzExec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 12:56 pm   #23
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Retired in Houston, TX
Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
Posts: 296
If the gauge is slow, as on some cars, the gauge will not be on full when you start the car on pick-up. I had this happen just last week at MCI. When I left the gate, I told the attendent that the tank was not full. He marked my contract as 3/4 full, and that was how I returned it.
Houston.Business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 2:30 pm   #24
2014 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28
My experience with topping off fuel is that if you fill the tank with the engine running, the gauge will not quickly adjust to the F setting. I have now made a habit of turning off engine before popping the gas cap open to refuel. This seems to quickly reset the computer upon restart of the engine.

Just my own obeservation.
mtneer1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 4:16 pm   #25
Used to be 'jzweighaft'
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta SkyMiles (KM/FO), JetBlue TrueBlue, Hertz #1 Gold (5*), Greyhound Road Rewards
Posts: 3,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer1969 View Post
My experience with topping off fuel is that if you fill the tank with the engine running, the gauge will not quickly adjust to the F setting. I have now made a habit of turning off engine before popping the gas cap open to refuel. This seems to quickly reset the computer upon restart of the engine.

Just my own obeservation.
Aren't you always supposed to turn off the engine before filling up to reduce risk of fire??

-J.
__________________
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you,
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
GW McLintock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 12, 5:14 pm   #26
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: ORD
Programs: AA ExPlat (1MM), SPG Plat 100 Nights
Posts: 126
Hertz rigs fuel gauge to move super slow?!

Noticed this for first time the other day at LAX; Nissan Altima. I told the rep I filled it even though the gauge was showing well below F. No issues with crediting me for F return.
cphurley is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:34 pm.