Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Current underage fee waiver code quick reference:

Use either a CDP or a PC:

CDPs
AAA: various codes listed here - fee now waived for AAA members age 20-24 as confirmed here
USAA: 77694 - for USAA members age 18-24
Hertz Gold Family: 1826991 - Technically only for those who signed up for Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (free) through this link: http://hertz.com/goldfamily, though not likely enforced - Seems to no longer work in U.S. but continues to work in Canada

PCs
Current underage fee wavier PC: 106934 - fee reduced to $9.99/day through 3/31 (possibly no longer valid as of 3/4?)
Please add one if anything comes up in the future!

Are there other CDPs? If you find them, please post them in this thread.

Alternative companies and options
USAA member discount at other companies: Avis: A177232, Budget: Y126501, Enterprise: ALNCWBA
Avis: reports are that the Visa cardholders discount (B204400) removes the underage fee--do a test booking at Avis.com to check
Budget: If renting in Canada, the Costco Executive Member code appears to waive the underage driver fee (source)
Dollar: reduced underage driver fee of $9.99/day through 3/31 when booking with coupon code 101080

Summary of the situation

Here's what we've discussed/researched/experienced so far:
Age 21-24
  • Daily "Age Differential Charge"
    • Lower daily charge - varies by location, approx $15 - Classes A, B, C, D, F, G, J
    • Higher daily charge - varies by location, approx $25 - all others except Prestige & Adrenaline
  • Daily fee is easily waived with a PC or these CDPs: Hertz Gold Family, USAA.
  • Fee is also waived for US Government Employees and Military (travelling at leisure or on orders, ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card).
  • Prestige and Adrenaline are never rentable under 25.
  • In Mississippi the minimum age is 21 by law.

Age 18-20
  • Mandated by law in NY, MI and also allowed in QC. Age Differential Charge is $41 per day and could vary. (Underage fee waiver by PC and Hertz Gold Family CDP is for 21-24 only.)
  • USAA members 18-20 years old can rent anywhwere in the United States with no fee.
    • USAA "program benefits apply only at participating locations in the United States. They do not apply to international rentals or if the rental agreement terms have been violated."
    • "Reminder: You may be requested to present your USAA-Hertz Discount Card or USAA Member Card for identification at the time and place of rental."
  • US Government Employees/Military 18-20 years old travelling on orders (ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card) are also able to rent with no fee.
  • Only vehicles available are classes A, B, C, D, F.
To read the Hertz policy at a specific location:
1) Click this link for Rental Requirements.
2) Select the location.
3) Click the name of the location when found.
4) Select "Age Requirements" from the drop down box.
Outstanding questions

1) Will the USAA CDP work for limited members?

USAA is an organization for US military, veterans, and their families. You must meet this qualification in order to get USAA insurance. But anybody can join USAA for free as a limited member.

What has yet to be reported here is if the limited membership qualifies for all the USAA Hertz benefits, which includes the under age fee being waived. And of course anybody could use USAA CDP and hope their membership isn't verified, but what if there were a bad accident? Things could get ugly and lawyers would certainly get involved.

In practice, Hertz seems not to discriminate between limited and full members of USAA. Actually, Hertz almost never even asks for identification to prove USAA membership, but in the event they do, providing your USAA number, a screenshot of the USAA page, or something else showing affiliation should be sufficient. Consequences after the fact if damage is involved remain unclear, though.

2) Are there any states/locations beside NY and MI that rent to under 20?

Per roymustang: "USAA members may rent as young as 18 years old, except where prohibited by state law, such as the aforementioned Mississippi. Front-line employees may resist but managers should be aware of this perk."

3) What about outside of the USA?

Per GW McLintock: "The underage PC only works in the USA and Canada. CDP waivers I believe will work outside of the US, but it may be best to get in touch with the location or customer service beforehand just to confirm. I would expect to be given a hard time especially at licensed franchises abroad."

Additional places to look for PCs
- The coupon sticky thread: PC and RQ Registry - Promotion Codes and Rate Codes only
- Hertz.com- Facebook
- Twitter
- Email and snailmail from Hertz
- All around the interwebs
- When you find new codes, be sure to post them in the coupon sticky thread

Originally based on material posted by Rut Dog; used by permission
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07

There's been some discussion lately about 18-20 year old renters vs 21-24 year olds. But I felt a good summary could be posted, and there are still a few unanswered questions.

Here's what we've discussed/researched/experienced so far:
Age 21-24
  • Daily "Age Differential Charge"
    • Lower daily charge - varies by location, approx $15 - Classes A, B, C, D, F, G, J
    • Higher daily charge - varies by location, approx $25 - all others except Prestige & Adrenaline
  • Daily fee is easily waived with a PC or these CDPs: Hertz Gold Family, USAA.
  • Fee is also waived for US Government Employees and Military (travelling at leisure or on orders, ID required).
  • Prestige and Adrenaline are never rentable under 25.
  • In Mississippi the minimum age is 21 by law.

Age 18-20
  • Mandated by law in NY, MI and also allowed in QC. Age Differential Charge is $41 per day and could vary. (Underage fee waiver by PC and Hertz Gold Family CDP is for 21-24 only.)
  • USAA members 18-20 years old can rent anywhwere in the United States with no fee.
    • USAA "program benefits apply only at participating locations in the United States. They do not apply to international rentals or if the rental agreement terms have been violated."
    • "Reminder: You may be requested to present your USAA-Hertz Discount Card or USAA Member Card for identification at the time and place of rental."
  • US Government Employees/Military 18-20 years old travelling on orders (id and orders required) are also able to rent with no fee.
  • Only vehicles available are classes A, B, C, D, F.
To read the Hertz policy at a specific location:
1) Click this link for Rental Requirements.
2) Select the location.
3) Click the name of the location when found.
4) Select "Age Requirements" from the drop down box.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Nov 26, 2012 at 4:40 am Reason: Updated with additional information, corrections.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Outstanding questions

USAA is an organization for US military, veterans, and their families. You must meet this qualification in order to get USAA insurance. But anybody can join USAA for free as a limited member.

What has yet to be reported here is if the limited membership qualifies for all the USAA Hertz benefits, which includes the under age fee being waived. And of course anybody could use USAA CDP and hope their membership isn't verified, but what if there were a bad accident? Things could get ugly and lawyers would certainly get involved.

Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rut Dog
Daily fee is easily waived with a PC or these CDPs: Hertz Gold Family, USAA
Places to look for PCs
- The coupon sticky thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...odes-here.html
- Hertz.com- Facebook
- Twitter
- Email and snailmail from Hertz
- All around the interwebs
- When you find new codes, be sure to post them in the coupon sticky thread

CDPs
Hertz Gold Family - 1826991 - Technically for those who signed up for Gold through this link: http://hertz.com/goldfamily
USAA - 77694 - For USAA members.

Are there other CDPs? If you find them, please post them in this thread.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Nov 12, 2012 at 3:25 pm
Old Nov 12, 2012, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Great idea for a thread! This will be very useful for many people

Yes. I have used this benefit many times as a limited (albeit soon-to-be full) member. You just need to sign up on their website. It's easiest if you're a US citizen with a Social Security Number, but there are ways around it. I tell people in order to avoid any hassles or to answer any questions to just have your USAA member number on hand at the time of rental.

They are the only two that allow customers under age 20 to rent cars. Note that some states, such as Mississippi, do have a minimum age of 21 to rent a car.

The underage PC only works in the USA and Canada. CDP waivers I believe will work outside of the US, but it may be best to get in touch with the location or customer service beforehand just to confirm. I would expect to be given a hard time especially at licensed franchises abroad.

Three other things to note:
  • The underage PC is # 144314; although it expires every so often the number has not changed since I've been renting with Hertz.
  • Does AAA actually waive the age differential charge? In some dummy bookings I ran it didn't seem to make it disappear.
  • Young renters may also take out SUVs and minivans.

-J.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Does AAA actually waive the age differential charge? In some dummy bookings I ran it didn't seem to make it disappear.
It seems you are right about AAA -- they use the PC you listed in their underage promos. I'm going to edit the earlier posts.

I have used [the USAA] benefit many times as a limited (albeit soon-to-be full) member. You just need to sign up on their website. It's easiest if you're a US citizen with a Social Security Number, but there are ways around it. I tell people in order to avoid any hassles or to answer any questions to just have your USAA member number on hand at the time of rental.
For a long time USAA would not extend these extra perks to their limited members. I know because I was one, and am now a full member. I had to talk my father into activating his membership (he was in the reserves 50 years ago).

It would appear, if you can see the benefit when logged into USAA, that it would apply.

When logged in to USAA do you see this:
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/rental_cars_main_public (public page)

or do you see this

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/rent...vel_rentalcars (members page, with the table of benefits)

Last edited by Rut Dog; Aug 21, 2014 at 5:23 am
Old Nov 12, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
USAA members may rent as young as 18 years old, except where prohibited by state law, such as the aforementioned Mississippi. Front-line employees may resist but managers should be aware of this perk.

RE: renting w/ USAA discount: I would echo jzweighaft's advice and have your USAA member number on hand (ideally, the little plastic card even).

Also, for any US Military/Government renters (such as myself):

1) Gov't/Military traveling on orders/official business may rent at 18 without underage fees. (Will likely require proper documentation, particularly at gov't travel-heavy stations such as DCA/IAD/BWI, or SAN)
2) Gov't/Military traveling for leisure may rent at 20 without underage fees. (Gov't ID all that will be necessary, but definitely will be checked if you must go to the counter.)

Last edited by roymustang; Nov 12, 2012 at 8:50 pm Reason: cleaning up UBB, no content modified
Old Nov 12, 2012, 8:22 pm

Is it okay that I do not have a USAA membership card.

All I have is the USAA# with the print out when I registered
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

I've just updated the opening post.

Originally Posted by JM9ISM
Is it okay that I do not have a USAA membership card.

All I have is the USAA# with the print out when I registered
From the new opening post, as found on the Hertz USAA page, with bolding added:
"Reminder: You may be requested to present your USAA-Hertz Discount Card or USAA Member Card for identification at the time and place of rental."
It's going to be hit or miss, but since the consequences would be so severe for you, I'd recommend you have something showing your USAA affiliation with you.

The thing is I don't think USAA ever sent me an official ID card. I have credit cards, atm cards, insurance cards, but no official member card.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Nov 12, 2012 at 9:39 pm
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

The underage PC only works in the USA and Canada. CDP waivers I believe will work outside of the US, but it may be best to get in touch with the location or customer service beforehand just to confirm.
USAA underage waiver is explicitly in the USA only.

Anyone know about Hertz Gold Family outside the USA?

Last edited by Rut Dog; Nov 21, 2012 at 2:19 pm
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roymustang
Also, for any US Military/Government renters (such as myself):

1) Gov't/Military traveling on orders/official business may rent at 18 without underage fees. (Will likely require proper documentation, particularly at gov't travel-heavy stations such as DCA/IAD/BWI, or SAN)
2) Gov't/Military traveling for leisure may rent at 20 without underage fees. (Gov't ID all that will be necessary, but definitely will be checked if you must go to the counter.)
Do the US Military/Government benefits apply outside of the USA?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

QC (Quebec, Canada) also allows 18-19 year olds, for C$41 per day.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold

It's going to be hit or miss, but since the consequences would be so severe for you, I'd recommend you have something showing your USAA affiliation with you.

The thing is I don't think USAA ever sent me an official ID card. I have credit cards, atm cards, insurance cards, but no official member card.
Rut Dog, try this link. You should be able to request a new membership card there (if it doesn't work on the first shot, try logging in first).
Also, failing that, the Hertz USAA landing page has a printable USAA discount card, which should suffice as well.

Do the US Military/Government benefits apply outside of the USA?
To the best of my knowledge, these benefits are not applicable outside of the US. Official travel would be better off arranging travel through an approved agent such as Sato to work around such fees. Leisure travel, well, you're pretty well back at square one unfortunately.

Last edited by roymustang; Nov 12, 2012 at 9:57 pm Reason: Added discount card info
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:30 pm

I'll try and see if it is work or not

thx ^^^^
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:02 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
While it is true that you can't get a prestige car from an agent, you can do a gold choice upgrade to prestige. I've never had anyone stop me.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:50 pm

Are licensee locations allowed to restrict younger drivers vehicle choices beyond prestige and adrenaline ? At the ottawa airport location I was told I have to be at least 25 for premium vehicles/ SUVs and at least 30 for luxury vehicles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.