Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Current underage fee waiver code quick reference:

Use either a CDP or a PC:

CDPs
AAA: various codes listed here - fee now waived for AAA members age 20-24 as confirmed here
USAA: 77694 - for USAA members age 18-24
Hertz Gold Family: 1826991 - Technically only for those who signed up for Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (free) through this link: http://hertz.com/goldfamily, though not likely enforced - Seems to no longer work in U.S. but continues to work in Canada

PCs
Current underage fee wavier PC: 106934 - fee reduced to $9.99/day through 3/31 (possibly no longer valid as of 3/4?)
Please add one if anything comes up in the future!

Are there other CDPs? If you find them, please post them in this thread.

Alternative companies and options
USAA member discount at other companies: Avis: A177232, Budget: Y126501, Enterprise: ALNCWBA
Avis: reports are that the Visa cardholders discount (B204400) removes the underage fee--do a test booking at Avis.com to check
Budget: If renting in Canada, the Costco Executive Member code appears to waive the underage driver fee (source)
Dollar: reduced underage driver fee of $9.99/day through 3/31 when booking with coupon code 101080

Summary of the situation

Here's what we've discussed/researched/experienced so far:
Age 21-24
  • Daily "Age Differential Charge"
    • Lower daily charge - varies by location, approx $15 - Classes A, B, C, D, F, G, J
    • Higher daily charge - varies by location, approx $25 - all others except Prestige & Adrenaline
  • Daily fee is easily waived with a PC or these CDPs: Hertz Gold Family, USAA.
  • Fee is also waived for US Government Employees and Military (travelling at leisure or on orders, ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card).
  • Prestige and Adrenaline are never rentable under 25.
  • In Mississippi the minimum age is 21 by law.

Age 18-20
  • Mandated by law in NY, MI and also allowed in QC. Age Differential Charge is $41 per day and could vary. (Underage fee waiver by PC and Hertz Gold Family CDP is for 21-24 only.)
  • USAA members 18-20 years old can rent anywhwere in the United States with no fee.
    • USAA "program benefits apply only at participating locations in the United States. They do not apply to international rentals or if the rental agreement terms have been violated."
    • "Reminder: You may be requested to present your USAA-Hertz Discount Card or USAA Member Card for identification at the time and place of rental."
  • US Government Employees/Military 18-20 years old travelling on orders (ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card) are also able to rent with no fee.
  • Only vehicles available are classes A, B, C, D, F.
To read the Hertz policy at a specific location:
1) Click this link for Rental Requirements.
2) Select the location.
3) Click the name of the location when found.
4) Select "Age Requirements" from the drop down box.
Outstanding questions

1) Will the USAA CDP work for limited members?

USAA is an organization for US military, veterans, and their families. You must meet this qualification in order to get USAA insurance. But anybody can join USAA for free as a limited member.

What has yet to be reported here is if the limited membership qualifies for all the USAA Hertz benefits, which includes the under age fee being waived. And of course anybody could use USAA CDP and hope their membership isn't verified, but what if there were a bad accident? Things could get ugly and lawyers would certainly get involved.

In practice, Hertz seems not to discriminate between limited and full members of USAA. Actually, Hertz almost never even asks for identification to prove USAA membership, but in the event they do, providing your USAA number, a screenshot of the USAA page, or something else showing affiliation should be sufficient. Consequences after the fact if damage is involved remain unclear, though.

2) Are there any states/locations beside NY and MI that rent to under 20?

Per roymustang: "USAA members may rent as young as 18 years old, except where prohibited by state law, such as the aforementioned Mississippi. Front-line employees may resist but managers should be aware of this perk."

3) What about outside of the USA?

Per GW McLintock: "The underage PC only works in the USA and Canada. CDP waivers I believe will work outside of the US, but it may be best to get in touch with the location or customer service beforehand just to confirm. I would expect to be given a hard time especially at licensed franchises abroad."

Additional places to look for PCs
- The coupon sticky thread: PC and RQ Registry - Promotion Codes and Rate Codes only
- Hertz.com- Facebook
- Twitter
- Email and snailmail from Hertz
- All around the interwebs
- When you find new codes, be sure to post them in the coupon sticky thread

Originally based on material posted by Rut Dog; used by permission
Print Wikipost

The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:13 pm

hey,
I will be in los angles at 3-16. september, I am 22 years old, and need to rent a car from avis (or others car rentals), Do you have anybody some function AWD code with underage fee and without id check ?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Daniel Melkes
hey,
I will be in los angles at 3-16. september, I am 22 years old, and need to rent a car from avis (or others car rentals), Do you have anybody some function AWD code with underage fee and without id check ?
Welcome! Check the wiki above. There is an answer there for you.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:25 pm

So if i'm understanding this correctly, if I sign up to be a gold plus member, I will instantly have the young driver fee waived? This seems way too easy... I will for sure sign up to be member, saves me a ton of money if there isn't some sort of fine print in the gold plus membership
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by c444
So if i'm understanding this correctly, if I sign up to be a gold plus member, I will instantly have the young driver fee waived? This seems way too easy... I will for sure sign up to be member, saves me a ton of money if there isn't some sort of fine print in the gold plus membership
Read up the thread, I had to sign up to USAA to get the fee waived.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:46 am

So I became a member after being told by a Hertz representative that it would waive the young driver fees in Europe and this appears to be a lie... I tried booking with just the membership and there are still surcharges... I then entered the PC/CDP posted on the wiki here and it still doesn't waive the young driver fee... I then tried in Canada and without the PC/CDP there was still a fee but then when I entered the PC/CDP it waived the young driver fee... guess it's only good for Canada/US
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by c444
So I became a member after being told by a Hertz representative that it would waive the young driver fees in Europe and this appears to be a lie... I tried booking with just the membership and there are still surcharges... I then entered the PC/CDP posted on the wiki here and it still doesn't waive the young driver fee... I then tried in Canada and without the PC/CDP there was still a fee but then when I entered the PC/CDP it waived the young driver fee... guess it's only good for Canada/US
If you read the wiki you could save yourself a lot of time.

Per GW McLintock: "The underage PC only works in the USA and Canada. CDP waivers I believe will work outside of the US, but it may be best to get in touch with the location or customer service beforehand just to confirm. I would expect to be given a hard time especially at licensed franchises abroad."
Old Oct 8, 2016, 10:07 pm

I just booked a reservation using travel & incentives 1911795 CDP to waive my underage fee. If they ask to see my ID what should I do? I work at an amusement park and have an ID from there - and I would say my HR manager gave it to us? Any ideas? Just don't want to get denied my rental and have to pay 2X the price for the underage fee.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: Hertz Gold PC, AAdvantage Platinum, United Premier 1K, HHonors Gold
Noticed something interesting with the Avis USAA program- it now waives the underage fee for 18-24 (previously was just 21-24) and permits 18-20 year olds to rent anywhere in the US with the program.

https://www.avis.com/car-rental/html...l?MID=usaa_faq

"What is the minimum rental age?

Rentals are available to USAA members 18 and older at participating locations in the contiguous United States, District of Columbia and Hawaii. Renting with the USAA program means that members 18 – 24 years of age are exempt from any underage surcharges that normally apply."

Naturally, works for Budget as well:
https://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/htm...l?MID=usaa_faq

Last edited by rapiddave; Oct 31, 2016 at 10:54 am
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:35 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

While reviewing some pages on Hertz.com, we noticed something:

This page describing AAA benefits with Hertz now says this:

Young Renter Fee WAIVED for AAA Members ages 20-24!
This is huge. This basically makes it feasible for any US resident who is under 25 to consistently rent without an underage fee (previously limited to only those who could qualify for a USAA membership). An AAA membership can be had for not much more than the cost of a day or two of the underage driver fee, plus you then get all the other AAA benefits (discounts, towing, etc.)--and AAA often has some of the best rates of any discount code with Hertz. it's a no-brainer now for anyone under 25 to sign up with AAA.

I've edited the wiki to reflect the change. You can also read more in our post about the change: BREAKING NEWS: AAA Membership Now Waives the Underage Surcharge with Hertz

With the loss of the Gold Family program and dearth of UA-fee-waiving PC codes lately, this is a welcome upgrade for those under 25!

Last edited by AutoSlash; Dec 14, 2016 at 10:33 pm
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:46 pm

Great find, this is huge!

For people who're in Belgium, join 'Touring' if you want to benefit from this offer. They're a partner of AAA and issue AAA member cards whenever you travel to the US or Canada. Their "offers" page clearly states you can benefit from AAA Hertz deals.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Turned 25 this last year! Amazing feeling being free of restrictions and saving a bit more not having to use Gold Family CDP!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Turned 25 this last year! Amazing feeling being free of restrictions and saving a bit more not having to use Gold Family CDP!
Especially when the Gold Family CDP has been terminated. Congrats that You are out of the woods, but for others, AAA is now a viable option to waive the underage fee.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Especially when the Gold Family CDP has been terminated. Congrats that You are out of the woods, but for others, AAA is now a viable option to waive the underage fee.
The Gold Family CDP no longer works? I've used it recently for prepaid and pay later reservations at YYZ and there was never any underage charge.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Schweden
The Gold Family CDP no longer works? I've used it recently for prepaid and pay later reservations at YYZ and there was never any underage charge.
Try this... Go to Hertz.com and start a reservation and use the Gold Family CDP (1826991). As you proceed through the process, there should be a line item for Age Differential. Now edit the CDP to USAA (77694) or AAA (1805452) and see that in both instances the Age Differential fee is removed.

If you're seeing something different, please reply back with a screenshot showing the price breakdown without Age Differential and the Gold Family CDP.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Try this... Go to Hertz.com and start a reservation and use the Gold Family CDP (1826991). As you proceed through the process, there should be a line item for Age Differential. Now edit the CDP to USAA (77694) or AAA (1805452) and see that in both instances the Age Differential fee is removed.

If you're seeing something different, please reply back with a screenshot showing the price breakdown without Age Differential and the Gold Family CDP.
I see what you're saying. I was given an age differential when I tried booking for US locations such as OKC. However, there is still no age differential for Canadian Hertz locations such as at YYZ, YUL, and YVR. It seems that Gold Family CDP only works in Canada now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.