Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Current underage fee waiver code quick reference:

Use either a CDP or a PC:

CDPs
AAA: various codes listed here - fee now waived for AAA members age 20-24 as confirmed here
USAA: 77694 - for USAA members age 18-24
Hertz Gold Family: 1826991 - Technically only for those who signed up for Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (free) through this link: http://hertz.com/goldfamily, though not likely enforced - Seems to no longer work in U.S. but continues to work in Canada

PCs
Current underage fee wavier PC: 106934 - fee reduced to $9.99/day through 3/31 (possibly no longer valid as of 3/4?)
Please add one if anything comes up in the future!

Are there other CDPs? If you find them, please post them in this thread.

Alternative companies and options
USAA member discount at other companies: Avis: A177232, Budget: Y126501, Enterprise: ALNCWBA
Avis: reports are that the Visa cardholders discount (B204400) removes the underage fee--do a test booking at Avis.com to check
Budget: If renting in Canada, the Costco Executive Member code appears to waive the underage driver fee (source)
Dollar: reduced underage driver fee of $9.99/day through 3/31 when booking with coupon code 101080

Summary of the situation

Here's what we've discussed/researched/experienced so far:
Age 21-24
  • Daily "Age Differential Charge"
    • Lower daily charge - varies by location, approx $15 - Classes A, B, C, D, F, G, J
    • Higher daily charge - varies by location, approx $25 - all others except Prestige & Adrenaline
  • Daily fee is easily waived with a PC or these CDPs: Hertz Gold Family, USAA.
  • Fee is also waived for US Government Employees and Military (travelling at leisure or on orders, ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card).
  • Prestige and Adrenaline are never rentable under 25.
  • In Mississippi the minimum age is 21 by law.

Age 18-20
  • Mandated by law in NY, MI and also allowed in QC. Age Differential Charge is $41 per day and could vary. (Underage fee waiver by PC and Hertz Gold Family CDP is for 21-24 only.)
  • USAA members 18-20 years old can rent anywhwere in the United States with no fee.
    • USAA "program benefits apply only at participating locations in the United States. They do not apply to international rentals or if the rental agreement terms have been violated."
    • "Reminder: You may be requested to present your USAA-Hertz Discount Card or USAA Member Card for identification at the time and place of rental."
  • US Government Employees/Military 18-20 years old travelling on orders (ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card) are also able to rent with no fee.
  • Only vehicles available are classes A, B, C, D, F.
To read the Hertz policy at a specific location:
1) Click this link for Rental Requirements.
2) Select the location.
3) Click the name of the location when found.
4) Select "Age Requirements" from the drop down box.
Outstanding questions

1) Will the USAA CDP work for limited members?

USAA is an organization for US military, veterans, and their families. You must meet this qualification in order to get USAA insurance. But anybody can join USAA for free as a limited member.

What has yet to be reported here is if the limited membership qualifies for all the USAA Hertz benefits, which includes the under age fee being waived. And of course anybody could use USAA CDP and hope their membership isn't verified, but what if there were a bad accident? Things could get ugly and lawyers would certainly get involved.

In practice, Hertz seems not to discriminate between limited and full members of USAA. Actually, Hertz almost never even asks for identification to prove USAA membership, but in the event they do, providing your USAA number, a screenshot of the USAA page, or something else showing affiliation should be sufficient. Consequences after the fact if damage is involved remain unclear, though.

2) Are there any states/locations beside NY and MI that rent to under 20?

Per roymustang: "USAA members may rent as young as 18 years old, except where prohibited by state law, such as the aforementioned Mississippi. Front-line employees may resist but managers should be aware of this perk."

3) What about outside of the USA?

Per GW McLintock: "The underage PC only works in the USA and Canada. CDP waivers I believe will work outside of the US, but it may be best to get in touch with the location or customer service beforehand just to confirm. I would expect to be given a hard time especially at licensed franchises abroad."

Additional places to look for PCs
- The coupon sticky thread: PC and RQ Registry - Promotion Codes and Rate Codes only
- Hertz.com- Facebook
- Twitter
- Email and snailmail from Hertz
- All around the interwebs
- When you find new codes, be sure to post them in the coupon sticky thread

Originally based on material posted by Rut Dog; used by permission
Print Wikipost

The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:18 pm

Renting in France

Hi,

I'll be renting in France for about 10 days, Nice --> Paris.
I'm 24 and my gf is 25.

She barely knows how to drive, and she could definitely not handle stick.
I'm trying to avoid the 39 EUR/day or whatever crazy underage fees they have.

I know that the Hertz promo doesn't work outside of the US. Is that so?

I haven't signed up for any coupons or promos. Can anyone explain what the gold family plan and CDP are?

More importantly, could she rent it and I'd sign up as an additional driver? (It's $40 per rental). Would there be additional charges when the extra driver is under 25?
Either, could I drive it off the lot myself? She wouldn't be able to do it

THANKS A LOT!
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:09 am

The Underage Coupon is only for the US and Canada.

The Gold Family website seems to suggest the underage fee would be waived worldwide. But I recommend clarifying that with customer service, preferably in writing.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*
Be careful, Im a 5* member and my upcoming reservation shows that my reservation will be charged an underage fee, this will be the first time this has happened since I became a gold member.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 8:23 pm

If you're using the Gold Family CDP or Underage Coupon, an underage fee may appear on your reservation, but should be removed by return. If you're unsure, clarify this before you sign the contract and take possession of the vehicle. Try to get it in writing, print out the e-mail, and take it with you to pick up the car. As silly as it sounds, many Hertz reps don't know Hertz policy.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:08 am

Ahh what's wrong with the link to the Hertz goldfamily programm!? (www.hertz.com/goldfamily)

It's offline for more than a week. I hope it still excists...

(I'm dutch and looking for a car in the US, so I could use it!)
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Bassej
Ahh what's wrong with the link to the Hertz goldfamily programm!? (www.hertz.com/goldfamily)

It's offline for more than a week. I hope it still excists...

(I'm dutch and looking for a car in the US, so I could use it!)
The link you posted works for me

If you still can't get it to work, you can always use the underage PC# 181344 for the same effect, and use some other CDP for a discount and/or bonus points for a preferred frequent traveler program.

-J.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:20 am

Hey,

I'm new here and want to rent a car for a road trip from Las Vegas-....- Las Vegas. 6 - 30 June 2013.
I'm in this Gold Rewards Plus and also have the Gold Family Program activated. The price which is listed 648.20 USD... good so far. but i can't see whether it's free for under age. I'm 24.

Included in the rates

Airport concession fee recovery
Loss Damage Waiver
Tax and other charges
Liability Insurance Supplement
Vehicle license fee recovery
Customer Facility Charge
Unlimited Free Miles Included

Not included in the rates

Personal Accident Insurance / Personal Effects Coverage
PREMIUM EMERGENCY ROADSIDE SERVICE
Fuel
Additional Driver Fee

Do i need an additional PC code? Can't find any working..
I hope somone can help =)

Cheers
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:21 am

If there were an underage fee, the confirmation would say so. The Gold Family CDP automatically eliminates it.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
If there were an underage fee, the confirmation would say so. The Gold Family CDP automatically eliminates it.
Thanks for the fast response Auto Enthusiast!

Do you know if it's written down somewhere? Just as a sucurity. As I'm from Germany and don't want a bad surprise when we arrive in Vegas.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:26 am

Alright, maybe someone here can help me...

I'm trying to rent a car with Hertz.
When I log in with my Hertz Gold Plus Rewards account and try to book the car, it will cost me ~660CHF (its a prepaid rate, and it tells me I have to pay ~438CHF now and ~222CHF at the station). When I log out and do the exact same booking, it tells me the price is ~438CHF. Now, in my Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Account I obviously entered my date of birth, so I'm assuming, the difference here is coming from the underage fee, which I have to pay at the station. But when I have a look at whats included in the rate, it tells me, the AGE DIFFERENTIAL is included and under "Not included in the rates" it tells me "Young Driver Surcharge" (This happens when I'm logged in. When I'm logged out, it just tells me, that the "Young Driver Surcharge" is not included). So my question is, can I rely on the fact that the system is showing me that I will have to pay 222CHF because I'm not 25 yet, or is it possible that those 222CHF are something else and they will charge me 222CHF at the station plus the underage fee?

If it is important, I'm going to rent from Hertz @ YVR, in September. And I use the Aegean Gold CDP (since you apparently get an upgrade, if available). I'm renting from the Swiss Hertz Website.

The other question is, is it possible to add a booking with Hertz to your Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Account after I finished the booking process?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Last edited by edoa; Aug 22, 2013 at 9:50 am
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I was just checking for my Son. Are Florida or California states that ban under 21s from renting completely or is it just Mississipi? Are there any other states or areas where under 21 driving is banned?

Am I also correct in thinking as long as the rental is in the US an under 21 young driver with the USAA CDP can still go to Canada in the rental car?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: WN
It appears that the 181344 Hertz PC for underage fee waivers is expiring tomorrow. Is there a replacement?

I have a corporate CDP that provides excellent personal insurance, so I'd rather not use a CDP to waive it. Does anyone know what the new code is / if there is a new code?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:22 pm

The PC has expired on 08/31/13. Typically would a new one come out? If it does, how long it takes to see the new promotion?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: WN
Originally Posted by berconon
The PC has expired on 08/31/13. Typically would a new one come out? If it does, how long it takes to see the new promotion?
I've seen it roll over to a new code a couple times now. But if that's happened, they didn't post the new code.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 4:35 pm
SLV

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by reclusive46
I was just checking for my Son. Are Florida or California states that ban under 21s from renting completely or is it just Mississipi? Are there any other states or areas where under 21 driving is banned?

Am I also correct in thinking as long as the rental is in the US an under 21 young driver with the USAA CDP can still go to Canada in the rental car?
Unless they changed it, I was able to rent since 18 in California with the USAA CDP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.