Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Please follow this format when posting your request:
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Pickup Date and Time:
Return Date and Time:
Vehicle Size Preference:
Home Country (if not USA):
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/Amex Plat/Cent etc):
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise:
More information can be found on the first page of this thread.

Additionally, you can save time by having AutoSlash generate a quote for you up-front by clicking here, or if you've already got a rental booked, just click here to enter your info and AutoSlash will check to see if a lower rate is available.

If you're looking for a specialty vehicle from Hertz (something from the Prestige/Adrenaline/Green Collections), it is helpful if you can specify the four-letter car size code (i.e. ICAR, MVAR, etc.) shown on the Hertz website for the specific vehicle you're looking for.

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS

New members who post any type of link will have their posts flagged for moderation by our spam filters. Unfortunately...
...this includes any links in quoted replies!
You can avoid our spam filters simply by not posting any links or quoting any links in your replies. This restriction applies to just your first two posts, so once you've posted a few times you can link away.

We are happy that this thread generates many new FlyerTalk members, and we hope you will stick around. By learning & sharing our knowledge freely, we all become better travelers. Hopefully some day you will be posting a reply, showing a new guy how to get a good rate.

Welcome to FlyerTalk! We are glad you are here.
Print Wikipost

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:26 am

This should be a good challenge:
Pickup Location: DEN
Dropoff Location: SCF or PHX
Pickup Date and Time: November 1, 2012 @ 7PM (local time)
Return Date and Time: November 8, 2012 @ 6PM (local time)
Vehicle Size Preference: Midsize
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:32 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vortix
This should be a good challenge:
Pickup Location: DEN
Dropoff Location: SCF or PHX
Pickup Date and Time: November 1, 2012 @ 7PM (local time)
Return Date and Time: November 8, 2012 @ 6PM (local time)
Vehicle Size Preference: Midsize
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA
Hertz is expensive for this rental (drop in PHX or SCF) right now at $961.86 with AAA and PC 172454. Interesting here is that a premium car is actually $1 cheaper than the midsize, so it would appear that Hertz would like to move premiums from DEN to PHX. Rates can drop further as the pickup date approaches if they want to shift vehicle allocation from one location to another.

It's worth noting here that the same rental with National would be $356.60 if you are a member of (or sign up for) United Mileage Plus.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jun 6, 2014 at 11:39 pm
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum
In a week
Pickup Location (LGA):
Dropoff Location (LGA):
Pickup Date and Time: Sept 24th at 8:00pm
Return Date and Time Oct. 4th at 10:15am
Vehicle Size Preference: Anything with satellite radio
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): USAA, AAA, AMEX
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aspenedelen
In a week
Pickup Location (LGA):
Dropoff Location (LGA):
Pickup Date and Time: Sept 24th at 8:00pm
Return Date and Time Oct. 4th at 10:15am
Vehicle Size Preference: Anything with satellite radio
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): USAA, AAA, AMEX
I priced it based on a midsize car. You can request satellite radio on any model as an add-on. Often the higher end cars will have Sat, so you may end up with a bigger/nicer car than the one you booked.

The best deal with Hertz looks to be with the USAA discount and PC 172863 coming in at $333.98.

Note that if you are a member of United Mileage Plus (or sign up for it), you can get a rate of $309.04 with National for the equivalent vehicle.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jun 6, 2014 at 12:55 pm
Old Sep 18, 2012, 8:15 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Pickup Location: Harborside Financial Centre (Jersey City, NJ)
Dropoff Location : Same as above
Pickup Date and Time: November 21st, 2012, anytime
Return Date and Time: November 26th, 2012, anytime
Vehicle Size Preference: The cheapest possible.. A-Class I guess.
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): Jet Airways, Hertz Asia Gold.

The best price I have got so far on my own is $ 270.xx. This includes all taxes, but no insurance, LDW, etc.

Simz
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simz
Pickup Location: Harborside Financial Centre (Jersey City, NJ)
Dropoff Location : Same as above
Pickup Date and Time: November 21st, 2012, anytime
Return Date and Time: November 26th, 2012, anytime
Vehicle Size Preference: The cheapest possible.. A-Class I guess.
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): Jet Airways, Hertz Asia Gold.

The best price I have got so far on my own is $ 270.xx. This includes all taxes, but no insurance, LDW, etc.

Simz
I'm seeing $264.48 for an economy car using Jet Airways CDP and PC 113761.

Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:23 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
I'm seeing $264.48 for an economy car using Jet Airways CDP and PC 113761[/URL].
Thanks man.. I think just for this one time, I might have to go with Avis.. I usually pick Hertz over Avis, if the price difference is small, but this time I am getting it for $ 162.xx from Avis, while Hertz is showing in the least $ 264.48, it seems
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simz
Thanks man.. I think just for this one time, I might have to go with Avis.. I usually pick Hertz over Avis, if the price difference is small, but this time I am getting it for $ 162.xx from Avis, while Hertz is showing in the least $ 264.48, it seems
Yes, seeing the same thing on my end. Avis is definitely the better deal in this case.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum
AutoSlash, thanks for your help with the LGA rental. Unfortunetly my airport has been switched to Burlington, VT and the dates are

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): BTV
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): BTV
Pickup Date and Time:09.25.12 12:30pm
Return Date and Time:10.03.12 08:00am
Vehicle Size Preference: Full Size or Premium (can not be a geriatric car though)
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA, USAA

Any chance of getting some help here too?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Vehicle Size Preference: Full Size or Premium (can not be a geriatric car though)
In general, the only way to make sure you get a specific car type is to reserve one for which a type-specific reservation is offered (Altima/Camry, Mustang, any of the Collections). Otherwise you could get anything in the fleet list, and if the only Premiums they have are Crown Vics then that's what you'll get on a Premium reservation. Or you could voluntarily downgrade to an Impala.

Looks like PCARs are sold out for your dates. For full-size, AAA yields $391.27, while USAA is $363.07. I tried using PC# 135892 and 175070 but neither of them worked; either the website is broken (very likely) or BTV isn't participating in those promos.

-J.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
In an effort to help keep the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...odes-here.html thread clean, our new moderator Rut Dog has given his approval to starting a separate thread dedicated to helping each other find the best deal possible on our Hertz rentals.

The idea is that users looking for a deal will post their rental details, and fellow FT members (we'll help, too!) will then reply back with information about how to get the best rates on that specific rental.
===================================
It's hard to find the best deal with incomplete information about the rental, so here's a little template we suggest using when posting your rental information:

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): San Antonio HLE Hollywood Park
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code): same OR JW Marriott-TPC
Pickup Date and Time: 9/24 1pm
Return Date and Time: 10/01 same
Vehicle Size Preference: ECAR, CCAR
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): USAA
====================
Ok, I'm game...

This is for a 21-yr old who I signed up for a ZE GOLD account w/a CDP that waives his age supplement charge. My rate is $153.xx total. I'm open to improvement!

NOTE: Additionally, register for triple points promotion before making your res!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes
====================
Ok, I'm game...

This is for a 21-yr old who I signed up for a ZE GOLD account w/a CDP that waives his age supplement charge. My rate is $153.xx total. I'm open to improvement!

NOTE: Additionally, register for triple points promotion before making your res!
I get $143.69 with PC 135892 and the USAA CDP for an Economy. USAA's CDP includes no additional charge for 18-24 year olds, plus a $5,000 cap on car damage.

Avis has a $30 coupon (MUWA005) with USAA's CDP A177232 (also no underage fee, $100k/$300k/$25k liability insurance and $5k collision deductible) for a similar price at their location on 1604.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

AutoSlash, thanks for your help with the LGA rental. Unfortunetly my airport has been switched to Burlington, VT and the dates are

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): BTV
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): BTV
Pickup Date and Time:09.25.12 12:30pm
Return Date and Time:10.03.12 08:00am
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA, USAA

Any chance of getting some help here too?
The best I'm seeing is with USAA CDP and PC 172841 @ $355.47. As jz pointed out, PCAR's are sold out.

Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lowfareair
I get $143.69 with PC 135892 and the USAA CDP for an Economy. USAA's CDP includes no additional charge for 18-24 year olds, plus a $5,000 cap on car damage.

Avis has a $30 coupon (MUWA005) with USAA's CDP A177232 (also no underage fee, $100k/$300k/$25k liability insurance and $5k collision deductible) for a similar price at their location on 1604.
I concur that $143.69 is the best deal with Hertz.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:00 pm

Hi guys,

i need two bookings, both for underage (24 years old):

Pickup Location: LAX
Dropoff Location: LAX
Pickup Date and Time: November 7, 2012 @ 10AM
Return Date and Time: November 10, 2012 @ 10AM
Vehicle Size Preference: Any
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): None

and

Pickup Location: LAX
Dropoff Location: SFO
Pickup Date and Time: November 7, 2012 @ 10AM
Return Date and Time: November 14, 2012 @ 10AM
Vehicle Size Preference: Any
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): None

The best I got is $168.82 and $290.50, both with code a 20% off CDP and PC144314 to waive underage fee.

I don't mind joining any sort of membership, but USAA is not an option as I dont have a SSN.
I tried searching on autoslash for the second booking but its not giving me any results.

Can I do better?

Last edited by unnamed88; Sep 20, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.