Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Who rents the last Crown Victoria / Mercury Grand Marquis / Lincoln TownCar?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Since there has been a lot of discussion about these cars already I thought maybe it is funny if everyone who gets one writes it down in that list

Maybe we can document the phase-out here

I can start with June 01, 2012, but for sure I haven't been the last one...
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:33 am

im hoping to get one on sun lol at hertz lax, not sure what my chances are?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Was walking past the Avis/ Budget selection at TUL and saw a Town Car with FL plates.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:33 pm

I hope to get a TC in three weeks at ATL... I'll let you know if I got lucky!
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
I'm predicting it'll be a post sometime in 2015, in some little known regional airport franchise location and lord knows what the mileage reading is gonna be...
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
I'm predicting it'll be a post sometime in 2015, in some little known regional airport franchise location and lord knows what the mileage reading is gonna be...

For a pick-up on July 24, 2012, at LAX, I had annotated my PCAR reservation with "Prefers other than land yacht CrownVic or Grand Marquis," and when I arrived at the airport, the agent told me, "They saw your note, so they're looking for something else." A few minutes later, she proudly says "It's tight today, but they found something!" and hands me the keys to--you got it--a Town Car.

I drove around Studio City pretending to be a chauffeur for a movie star or studio exec for a day before finally heading over to BUR, where I exchanged for a Hyundai Genesis (was given the choice between that or a Maxima, both of which I like).
Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by jackal

For a pick-up on July 24, 2012, at LAX, I had annotated my PCAR reservation with "Prefers other than land yacht CrownVic or Grand Marquis," and when I arrived at the airport, the agent told me, "They saw your note, so they're looking for something else." A few minutes later, she proudly says "It's tight today, but they found something!" and hands me the keys to--you got it--a Town Car.
What was the mileage on the Town Car? I still have hope to snatch a low-mileage-almost-new one from ATL (I know, not very likely).
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hammer
What was the mileage on the Town Car? I still have hope to snatch a low-mileage-almost-new one from ATL (I know, not very likely).
I just tried to look on my Hertz.com receipt, but that only shows the Genesis I swapped to (5,000 miles on that one). I don't recall the Town Car being terribly beat up or anything, so it wasn't all that ancient.

I have a bin of all my papers from my two-month-long trip, and the original Hertz rental agreement from before I swapped cars is in that bin. I'll try to take a peek at it tomorrow (you've got me curious, now).
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
I read that the taxi versions usually do have mileages in the region of 400,000 ... now, that would leave a lot of years to go!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by at4behe1
I read that the taxi versions usually do have mileages in the region of 400,000 ... now, that would leave a lot of years to go!
The highest I've ever seen in a taxi was 469,307. It was higher than that because he picked up someone right after I got out. That cab was in bad shape, the engine was vibrating/shaking and I don't think it had long to live.

If you take care of it, though, it could last forever. These things were built for the streets of New York so they were built to last.

-J.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL FO, US Silver, MR Plat, HH Silver
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
The highest I've ever seen in a taxi was 469,307. It was higher than that because he picked up someone right after I got out. That cab was in bad shape, the engine was vibrating/shaking and I don't think it had long to live.

If you take care of it, though, it could last forever. These things were built for the streets of New York so they were built to last.

-J.
I spent some time working in Okinawa Japan and some of the cabs had odometers nearing 2 million KM. All of them seemed in very good shape especially for the mileage on them. Most of them were Nissan Crews or Toyota Comforts.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
My Dad drove Crown Vics most of his later years, and I ride in a Crown Vic to the airport and home weekly (back seat).

With that said, my last Town Car rental was in Hawaii about 18 months ago. Had a Town Car with 1,000 miles. Didn't like it as a driver, and made a decision to avoid a Town Car as a driver in the future. Just not a nice drivers car. Glad they won't be a common option in the future.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by vtmike
I spent some time working in Okinawa Japan and some of the cabs had odometers nearing 2 million KM. All of them seemed in very good shape especially for the mileage on them. Most of them were Nissan Crews or Toyota Comforts.
I miss Japanese cabs! I lived in Tokyo for a few years, and when I finally hailed a cab in the States, I waited for the door to automatically open...and then remembered I had to do it manually. I'm sure the driver thought I was crazy.

And the lace and white gloves--class act!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:01 am

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
On the basis of this thread, I have forgone my usual SUV rental and gone for the Towncar from the LCAR band, out of LAX

Am I going to be disappointed? It actually worked out a fair bit cheaper than SUV for the same dates. I figure as a PC, I should be able to swap it out for something else either at pick up, or trundle back to the LAX depot sometime during the rental period.

Will report back in December.......

Adey
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mradey
On the basis of this thread, I have forgone my usual SUV rental and gone for the Towncar from the LCAR band, out of LAX

Am I going to be disappointed? It actually worked out a fair bit cheaper than SUV for the same dates. I figure as a PC, I should be able to swap it out for something else either at pick up, or trundle back to the LAX depot sometime during the rental period.

Will report back in December.......

Adey
Darn, I may have to give up my title as the last FTer to drive one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.