Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz PC - worth the $250?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2012, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS 1MM, Delta GM, American Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gld, Starwood Gld, Hyatt Plat
Hertz PC - worth the $250?

All
I registered for FT years ago but only started participating/posting recently.
FYI I did a search before starting a new thread, couldn't quite find an answer to my specific question.
Last year I paid the $250 for Hertz PC - in part because my company will subsidize majority of membership fee. Did that because there is no way I would ever qualify for PC or even next level down - most of the time I am taking taxi's or traveling internationally.
That said I like the ease of walking out to cars in stalls close to bus stop, etc. However, I rarely get the guaranteed upgrades and have noticed a few forum posts discussing this topic.
So bottom line - for all those out there who are PC. Is it worth re-upping the $250 for PC? I get its personal preference / bottom line, but just would like your thoughts. Some mention a newer Hertz membership program. Is it possible the $250 option for PC won't even be available to me once current membership expires?
Thanks in advance for any insights re PC, membership information, etc.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 7:25 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Gold membership is free (well it has a cost but it's always available for free) that gets you the same just go to your car service.

If you don't need the guaranteed availability, and you are not getting the upgrades, about all you are getting is the bonus points, and I would not say those are worth the $250.

If you need the guaranteed availability, the $250 may be worth it to you no matter what the cost.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 10:04 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
It is difficult to say if paying $250 for PC is worth it. Even if the company is paying for most of it, I have read postings where even PC's do not get their guaranteed upgrades. At various large airports, I have seen some nice cars in the PC spots. (I am 5* and am content with that).

I travel on leisure (and agressively use coupons, etc to save some serious $$) so to pay to upgrade to PC is not worth it to me.

One thing you can consider is if you book midsize, you can use Gold Choice to pick out the car you like better. The one drawback is it takes more time to walk back to Gold and pick out a different car. I have the extra time and for me not a major inconvenience to do that.

For a business traveler where extra time to get the car is inconvenient, buying up to PC where your company is paying for most of the upgrade cost may be worth it to you. You have to see if there is value in getting your spot closer to the front (in most cases I've seen at larger airports) and usually better cars in those spots than just regular Gold or even 5*. I'm 5*, typically book midsize and only a midsize car is in my stall(like a Nissan Sentra). Since Gold Choice came out, I just go there and pick out a car I like better. At the last 3 airports I been to (ABQ, SLC, MSP), I picked out an Impala since my wife likes that car for road trips. (especially the loaded LTZ for the leather/heated seats ).

Note: At my last station (MSP), more than 1/3 of the cars in Gold had Neverlost (navigation) that has an extra daily charge. Lucky for me, there was an Impala that did not have Neverlost that I took.

Sorry that I wrote a "book" but others that are real "road warriors" that use Hertz can give you a better opinion than I.

Bottom line: Since your company is paying most of your cost, PC would in my opinion be worth it to you for convenience, etc. Especially in irregular operations, you would be better chance in getting a car where you may not if you were a lower level.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Not sure what the OP is searching.
But "PC worth" generates the following relevant threads on this well-worn topic:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...light=PC+worth
And this one from 2008 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...light=PC+worth
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The only way that PC would be worth $250 is if the upgrades were truly guaranteed and enforceable.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; AA Plat; Hertz Pres Circle, Hilton Diamond
From my personal experience over the last 2 years as a PC member, NO.

No upgrades, no close in spots (i.e. the President's Circle spots), I've never needed the "guaranteed availability". No love.

You do not get the upgrades... it's a rare suprise when it happens. Big station, small station - no difference. My most recent experience was in Kansas City where I asked if XXX car was an upgrade. No, but you can take any car in the "Choice Area", to which I noted none of these was an upgrade to what I had booked. "Well you can go in and negotiate with my manager." A published benefit is not something I think I should be negotiating for every time.

If you rent at a local location, which I also do, upgrades are ZERO.

Corporately, we just switched to AVIS which matched PC. I'm 100% (3 for 3) of great upgrades at airports where I've suffered with Hertz.

Bye-bye Hertz. You just don't love me as a PC. Avis just tries harder.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
Not sure $250 is worth it, if you are going to make 5*.

I used to be PC, but then didnt make it last year....honestly other than having to walk a little further to my car at LAX, my experience has been almost identical.

I get upgraded as 5* every week for the last 3 months at SAT, plus i was upgraded at LAX, SNA, SFO as well. Only time I did not get upgraded was in Midland, TX when i was there for the oil show....then again my buddy was bumped from the Hilton even though he was Diamond...apparently everyone in the hotel that night was or paid $$$

Bottom line, just rent 10 times a year and be 5*....its every bit as good.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
definitely NOT worth it. Only thing worth being PC is honestly the upgrades, which you can see are not consistent with all members.

If I could go for 5* I would, as it is basically the same.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:41 am

I finally made it (based on # of rentals) to PC late last year.

Right after I was bumped up to PC, an agent at Detroit airport saw my newly minted PC card and went out of her way to get me exactly the (upgraded) car I wanted with no hassle or attempt to upsell me, which I was surprised and happy about. After a few months with the status, upgrades still seem to completely depend on the agents & their mood; but at the same time I seem to get at least a one car class upgrade more often than not.

I wouldn't pay extra money to buy into PC, though. In my experience, I'm getting about the same level as service as I did as a "Five Star Gold".

I wonder if "Hertz Platinum" is any different than Presidents Club?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
I wonder if "Hertz Platinum" is any different than Presidents Club?
From what I have read, they have both lost some of their "luster" in the past few years. What took me spending 120+ days in a car to earn, a guy off the street can now buy for $450, having never rented from Hertz before.

Same thing with with Platinum. It used to be exclusive as an invite only, now anyone willing to pay up to $1500 a year (and pass credit check) can receive it.

The annoying aspect of status, is the perks vary from location to location and agent to agent. I've heard many stories of regular gold customers getting upgraded to nicer vehicles, and other locations would give the Hertz CEO a high mileage Marquis and try upsell him to the Camaro.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL FO, US Silver, MR Plat, HH Silver
I think the upgrade percentages as a PC vary a lot based on the car class reserved. I've been a PC for 4 years now and have done very well on upgrades, but the largest car I can book is C. (Company policy). I generally end up in a F or a Q4. Occasionally I'll luck out and get a G,H or Adrenaline cars. The few times I have booked F for personal rentals, I have had to push for the upgrade and generally get offered a Q4, which isn't really an upgrade in my book. So in my experience upgrades from the larger car classes are generally harder to get.

As for getting a PC spot that seems to vary a lot based on location. For instance, SAN is quite consistent, but DCA all bets are off.

All that being said, I wouldn't pay 250 of my own my money for it. As others have said, it could be worth it for the guaranteed availability. But in my 4 years I have never needed it. If its company money I would probably push for that money to be used on an airline club membership instead.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 2:10 pm

Platinum membership is refundable too!
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, AirNZ Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, GHA Black, Swissotel Eleva
In my experience almost certainly not worth it. I was made PC last year and have never been given a worthwhile upgrade and basically treated badly at a few places - some not even recognising it.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I got PC via airline status at the start of the year. So far out of ~20 rentals this year I've received an upgrade on every occasion except one (and on that occasion I did get an upgrade, but didn't like what they had given me, so went for something in the class I'd booked).

I've used the guaranteed availability 3 times (twice in San Juan, PR, one somewhere in the US).

Is it worth $250? Probably not, but maybe. I deliberately book one car class lower than I normally would (and rely on the upgrade to get what I want), which saves somewhere between a few cents and several dollars per day - I've probably saved somewhere around $100 so far this year as a result of that alone. Guaranteed availability is difficult to put a price on, especially if other companies have availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.