Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

What if baggage doesn't fit in trunk of pre paid Mustang?

Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus

Hi There,

Please excuse the ignorance/silliness of this. I've just rented a Mustang from MCO in September without realising that there is potentially limited trunk space (other half will be shopping - a lot).

What are my options if when I turn up at MCO my fears are realised and all of our baggage doesn't fit? Is it a case of tough and I have to pay in full for a new rental (2 weeks, really would like to avoid this), or will Hertz likely just make me pay the difference between the Stang and the car I eventually end up with (probably a Yukon).

I've gone with a pre paid option seeing as prices were decent through the Aer Lingus website...I don't have any loyalty programmes with Hertz so don't expect preferential treatment.

(Btw, I've been looking at various reviews etc..but any clips I've seen on Youtube, it's difficult to gauge the size of the bags going into the trunk).

Thanks in advance...
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Slip the clerk a $50 and all will be well.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Really?! Thanks for the very practical advice. It's noted but say, for a second, I'm the one unlucky tourist who gets a cleaner than clean clerk?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:40 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk.

They may do an upgrade for you at the counter if they have something available, pricing can be pretty much anything depending on what they have and what they are trying to get out for a couple of weeks.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Yup, assumed there wouldn't be a convenient definitive answer, thanks Often1 and cordelli. Will update once I travel.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:09 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Welcome to Flyertalk!

You shouldn't have to book a new reservation. And with luck and diligence you won't have to pay for an upgrade.

Here's what I recommend...

www.hertz.com/freegold

1) Click above, get Gold for free.
2) Call Hertz central reservations and add your new Gold number.
3) Call Orlando airport location. Explain the situation, very nicely, to a manager if possible. They can probably get a different car assigned upon arrival.
4) Whatever is assigned upon arrival, Mustang or otherwise, you can check the Hertz Gold Choice aisle. Pretty decent chance that something there will fit the bill.

Mustang has a pretty decent sized trunk - 13.6 cubic feet.

Camry, for comparison, has 15.6 cubic feet. But it also has those big back seats.

How big a vehicle do you really need? And for how many days?

A large SUV will be expensive, it seems. You might monitor rates, though, and watch to see if a more desirable vehicle becomes available for a similar or lower rate, at which point you get some leverage with the manager (see 3 above).

If the vehicle you need requires an upgrade fee it is negotiable! Reps have wide latitude, as little as $3 per day.

Remember that you can exchange your car at any Hertz location. There are 39 in Orlando, including many hotel locations.
http://goo.gl/maps/qztw
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/locat...ionTabView.jsp

You can exchange the Mustang only when or if you need more cargo room. That way, if paying an upgrade fee, you pay only for the days you have the upgrade car. Maybe you'll only need the upgrade for the last 2 days of your trip.

Finally, remember security -- windows get broken when cars have shopping bags in them. Large trunks are safer than SUV cargo areas.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:01 am

Programs: Priority Club, Eurobonus, Hertz Gold, Dollar Express, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by Rut Dog
Welcome to Flyertalk!

You shouldn't have to book a new reservation. And with luck and diligence you won't have to pay for an upgrade.

Here's what I recommend...

www.hertz.com/freegold

1) Click above, get Gold for free.
2) Call Hertz central reservations and add your new Gold number.
3) Call Orlando airport location. Explain the situation, very nicely, to a manager if possible. They can probably get a different car assigned upon arrival.
4) Whatever is assigned upon arrival, Mustang or otherwise, you can check the Hertz Gold Choice aisle. Pretty decent chance that something there will fit the bill.

Mustang has a pretty decent sized trunk - 13.6 cubic feet.

Camry, for comparison, has 15.6 cubic feet. But it also has those big back seats.

How big a vehicle do you really need? And for how many days?

A large SUV will be expensive, it seems. You might monitor rates, though, and watch to see if a more desirable vehicle becomes available for a similar or lower rate, at which point you get some leverage with the manager (see 3 above).

If the vehicle you need requires an upgrade fee it is negotiable! Reps have wide latitude, as little as $3 per day.

Remember that you can exchange your car at any Hertz location. There are 39 in Orlando, including many hotel locations.
http://goo.gl/maps/qztw
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/locat...ionTabView.jsp

You can exchange the Mustang only when or if you need more cargo room. That way, if paying an upgrade fee, you pay only for the days you have the upgrade car. Maybe you'll only need the upgrade for the last 2 days of your trip.

Finally, remember security -- windows get broken when cars have shopping bags in them. Large trunks are safer than SUV cargo areas.

Not trying to hijack but I have a question regarding the free gold offer. I was told by the Norwegian branch that being a gold member thu this offer...I would only get points for cars booked IN Norway This sounds fishy to me...is this really true? As never been a gold member til recently.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum, National Emerald Exec Elite
I would call ahead and see if you can arrange a bigger model. They SHOULD work with you, although I never have good luck at MCO. I rent with them about 10 times a year and they never upgrade my vehicle and when I ask to switch models (within my class - ie. a grand marquis to a Buick Regal) they always say they are out of cars. Quite frankly, I find their staff to be the worst out of all the locations I rent at because they are argumentative and lazy. Their Their General Manager also just left the location and I really hope the new manager steps it up. Also beware that it is busy vacation season for overseas tourists and families alike in the Orlando area. Last week at MCO, they had very few cars which is why I recommend arranging something bigger in advance.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by aviator4512
I would call ahead and see if you can arrange a bigger model. They SHOULD work with you, although I never have good luck at MCO. I rent with them about 10 times a year and they never upgrade my vehicle and when I ask to switch models (within my class - ie. a grand marquis to a Buick Regal) they always say they are out of cars. Quite frankly, I find their staff to be the worst out of all the locations I rent at because they are argumentative and lazy.
Unfortunate but helpful to know. What about all the satellite locations around Orlando? Maybe the service level at some of the hotels is a bit better?

Also beware that it is busy vacation season for overseas tourists and families alike in the Orlando area. Last week at MCO, they had very few cars which is why I recommend arranging something bigger in advance.
OP's rental is in September. Is that still high season?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by nordictat2
Not trying to hijack but I have a question regarding the free gold offer. I was told by the Norwegian branch that being a gold member thu this offer...I would only get points for cars booked IN Norway This sounds fishy to me...is this really true? As never been a gold member til recently.
Fishy in Norway?

It does sound strange. I've never heard of any such restrictions. Read your terms & conditions, check with somebody at Hertz customer service. I doubt he was correct, but who knows.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Jul 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: VS Silver, Kris Silver, IC Amb, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
I'll be renting a Mustang in a couple of weeks - are Hertz offering out the '13 models?

I was also concerned a little about boot space, but we're going to try and pack light - and it'll be from hotel to hotel, so any bags on the back seats shouldn't be unattended for long.

Maybe I'll bring a light black cover for the back seats if the wife can't resist the shopping and packing. To cover the luggage on the back seat, not her... lol. Also hope I'll be able to find the other MyKey in the boot :P
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by ferg01
Really?! Thanks for the very practical advice. It's noted but say, for a second, I'm the one unlucky tourist who gets a cleaner than clean clerk?
You get your $50 back.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:43 am

We rented a standard SUV at MCO in june 2010 during our honeymoon. I'm a gold member and had an upgrade voucher with me printed from somewhere in this forum.

At the gold desk I told the clerk about the honeymoon and that I had an upgrade voucher. Somehow I could not find the voucher but the clerk gave us an upgrade never the less.

We got the key and to our surprise the upgrade car was a GMC Yukon XL. I went back and asked if this was the correct car and it was. This thing was like a pimped out tank. Loved the car and so did my wife and to kids. (Later discovered that the voucher only covered small to large normal car ).

@Rut Dog. Would not recommend that caviar. 31.07.07 . But it's by far the best caviar on boiled eggs on a slice of bread in my opinion.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The truck in a Mustang isn't all that small. However, I did have trouble fitting one of my suitcases into it and solved the problem by lowering the top, putting the bag in the back seat, and raising it again.

As for shopping, well, unless you're going to buy mountains of things at once, the trunk should be adequate, and any overflow can go in the backseat until you get back to your hotel.

I don't like SUVs when I plan on shopping because most of them don't have anywhere you can put your purchases out of sight as to move on toward the next outlet mall I'm not sure if a Yukon is that way, but you should know that the possibility exists.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice - will keep you posted, however trip has been delayed until May.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.