Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs/Partners > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 23, 12, 10:02 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: Hertz PC, HH Diamond, WN A list preferred
Posts: 345
At the LAX Gold Booth, got into with a renter

The guy was charged for gas and pleading his case as long as he returned it full, it was ok. He said he drove 25 miles and did not top off the gas. "The agent here last night said as long as it was full, it's ok." As he's leaving, I said Hertz should charge him because if I get his car next, I'm paying for the gas he used. Why should I pay for his gas use? Hertz should charge him. He's the type of customer who tries to get away with stuff and whines when caught. He starts saying he had to wait 30 minutes for a car last night at 130am making another excuse. He goes on and on, I turn to my favorite LAX rep and told her, "sorry," cause the guy went on for another minute. If I got a charge removed, I would have left in a hurry, especially knowing I got one over on Hertz. Anyway, the rep says she hasn't seen me in a while and I tell her my name isn't on the board. She claims she only has convertibles available (and it was a real nice 75 degree day). I said that won't do. "How about a red Camero?" Just something with low miles please? Malibu for me was fine, especially for an economy rate. Just another day in LA.
travelingchumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 12, 5:25 am   #2
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DCA or IAD (originally DUB)
Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, Hertz Platinum, Marriott/SPG Gold
Posts: 5,912
And the point you're apparently trying to make ... is?
UAPremExecflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 12, 5:01 pm   #3
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Easton, CT, USA
Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Posts: 31,819
How do you know they don't top it off? At the local HLE, every single care returned gets topped off, if it takes over some amount of gas they charge the renter, if it doesn't it's full for the next guy.

How do you know the person before you doesn't just put gas into the car until the needle hits F without filling it? I know others here disagree, but I believe it's pretty easy to get the needle to F without putting in that last gallon or two if you really wanted to. Unless you fill the car as soon as you leave the facility once you pick it up, you really don't have any way to know if it's full or not.
__________________
Mike Cordelli mike@cordelli.com
cordelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 12, 12:11 am   #4
 
Join Date: May 2006
Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,718
In Australia you are meant to provide a receipt for petrol if you drive less than 75 miles.....
AndDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 12, 9:00 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K, DJ Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/PC Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDee View Post
In Australia you are meant to provide a receipt for petrol if you drive less than 75 miles.....
A number of the US rental companies have the same policy, although the only place I've ever had ask to see it was Avis.

It's always fun "filling up" with $1.92 worth of gas like I did for one rental last week!
docbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 12, 9:52 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
It's always fun "filling up" with $1.92 worth of gas like I did for one rental last week!
First world problem "fun."
dayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 12, 10:00 pm   #7
TalkBoard Member, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.003MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 35,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
A number of the US rental companies have the same policy, although the only place I've ever had ask to see it was Avis.

It's always fun "filling up" with $1.92 worth of gas like I did for one rental last week!
Don't some gas stations have minimum charges? If so that $1.92 of gas could cost $5 or even $10.
MSPeconomist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 12, 2:59 am   #8
 
Join Date: May 2006
Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Don't some gas stations have minimum charges? If so that $1.92 of gas could cost $5 or even $10.
Some gas stations in Australia state a "minimum delivery of 2 or 5 litres" which is 0.52 or 1.32 gallons respectively.

Never tried it out though to see what happens
AndDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 12, 11:57 am   #9
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: State of NY
Programs: AA,HH Gold,SPG Plat,Natl Elite,Hertz Pres Cir
Posts: 218
Sometimes I'll fill up the tank, on the way to the airport (usually if I'm in an area with lower fuel costs) or perhaps the night before (to speed things up the next day).
Then I might have to drive some more & fill up to full again, but that second filling might cost only a couple more dollars.
When filling up with such low dollar amounts, I always look around for an extra receipt at the gas station, just in case I'm hassled (some agents don't understand the dynamics of cars and how much little fuel can be consumed over a long highway distance).
Usually though, I don't have "fun" filling up the tank. It's often like "another 70 bucks in fuel, sheesh!"
Americanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 12, 12:32 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, A3 Gold, MR/SPG/PC Gold, HH Diamond, Nat ExecElite
Posts: 31,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingchumley View Post
The guy was charged for gas and pleading his case as long as he returned it full, it was ok. He said he drove 25 miles and did not top off the gas. "The agent here last night said as long as it was full, it's ok." As he's leaving, I said Hertz should charge him because if I get his car next, I'm paying for the gas he used. Why should I pay for his gas use? Hertz should charge him. He's the type of customer who tries to get away with stuff and whines when caught. He starts saying he had to wait 30 minutes for a car last night at 130am making another excuse. He goes on and on, I turn to my favorite LAX rep and told her, "sorry," cause the guy went on for another minute. If I got a charge removed, I would have left in a hurry, especially knowing I got one over on Hertz. Anyway, the rep says she hasn't seen me in a while and I tell her my name isn't on the board. She claims she only has convertibles available (and it was a real nice 75 degree day). I said that won't do. "How about a red Camero?" Just something with low miles please? Malibu for me was fine, especially for an economy rate. Just another day in LA.
pinniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 12, 10:33 am   #11
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Southern California
Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Posts: 2,911
I did a o/w rental from LGB to SNA. Near SNA, I went to top off the tank. It took 3 gallons and it was a small car. I gave them my receipts and asked that 2 gallons of the gasoline purchase be refunded. (note: I put only 27 miles on the car and it was a small car!). The agent cheerfully processed the refund of approx $7. (2 gallons of gas).

On another rental, I did a o/w rental from LGB to LAX. On this one, I put alot of miles on it. (a few hundred). I was charged for fuel even though I had a fuel receipt within 1/2 mile from Hertz LAX. (they charged me for 25 miles of fuel--the approx distance from LGB to LAX). I rarely call corporate Hertz but I did this time & they refunded me the fuel charge.

I don't do o/w rentals to often since both LGB & LAX both add a $10 contract fee on all car rentals. I may do the occasional HLE-(LAX/SNA) dropoff when my in/out airports are different.
chemist661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 12, 10:26 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: Hertz PC, HH Diamond, WN A list preferred
Posts: 345
the point is people who do not return the car full (filled up within 3 miles of the return location) should be charged for gas, if you get caught by the CSR on return, take your lumps. I tired of putting in 3.6 gallons in the car for a car I drove for 30 miles. I show the return agent the receipt and get credited. It's like you damage the car, return it, not get caught, and the next renter is in a hurry, takes the car, gets blamed for the damage. Don't blame the next guy, take responsibility.
travelingchumley is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:09 am.