Camaro SS Conv vs Mustang Conv Trunk Space

Old May 22, 2012, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Camaro SS Conv vs Mustang Conv Trunk Space

Hi again!

I posted on another thread a question about the trunk space of the Mustang convertible and then I found that the Camaro SS conv is available. Will the Camaro SS convertible have more trunk space than a Mustang's convertibe?

As I've mentioned I'm looking for a convertible that can fit 2 suitcases and 2 carry ons both in the trunk and backseats.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:07 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It has half a cubic inch more space (the Camaro) which is not really that big, but most reviews say the trunk lid is so small anything of any size can't easily be put in.

I don't know if you lose space in the camaro when the top is down or not.
Old May 23, 2012, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Pook
Hi again!

I posted on another thread a question about the trunk space of the Mustang convertible and then I found that the Camaro SS conv is available. Will the Camaro SS convertible have more trunk space than a Mustang's convertibe?

As I've mentioned I'm looking for a convertible that can fit 2 suitcases and 2 carry ons both in the trunk and backseats.
Problem with most of the convertibles is that the opening of the trunk is pretty small. So even if the volume would fit into the trunk you might have issues of actually getting it in, because there could be some "bottlenecks" (especially when the first case is already in). I hope you have soft cases that you can push around a little bit.
Old May 24, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by cordelli
It has half a cubic inch more space (the Camaro) which is not really that big, but most reviews say the trunk lid is so small anything of any size can't easily be put in.

I don't know if you lose space in the camaro when the top is down or not.
Just rented one a Camaro SS convertible out of ATL for 4 days. I was absolutely SHOCKED at the size of the trunk opening.

The trunk opening is exactly the size (well, with a bit of convincing) of my 21" travelpro crew 8 rollaboard. My wife and I were able to sqeeze her makeup bag, my laptop bag, and a few groceries around the rollaboard once we got it in, but that's about the limit.

DEFINITELY not possible to fit two rollaboards (or a rollaboard and large duffel) in the trunk, whether the top is up or down. There is a screen that marks off the space for the top, which would mark off how much extra space you can have if you don't plan to put the top down... except that this space is about 10" at the top of the trunk, and roughly 1' deep (front-back) and the same width a the trunk opening (maybe 2.5').

Also, I found that the driver's seat LITTERALLY touches the back seat when I found a comfortable driving position, so I doubt you could physically fit more than 3 adults in this car.

All that said, it's A LOT of fun to drive, though it only got about 16 mpg on on the highway and MUCH less on the roads.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:14 am

I have a Camaro 1LT Convertible this weekend, and the trunk space is horrible for a few reasons.

1) the cargo shade (mounted in the trunk) must be pulled back in order to lower the top, and this decreases the trunk space. You might be able to squeeze some small flat objects under the cargo shade.

2) the trunk is basically a small well, and it's hard to maneuver large items into the trunk.

3) trunk is already tiny with the top down.

The Mustang trunk space is smaller, but more usable because a) no cargo shade, and b) the trunk lip extends to the bumper so easier to load objects.

Both have back seats that can reasonably store some luggage, though dunno about 2 suitcases and 2 carryons. My advice is to pack less if you can.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your inputs.

No wonder the rate for the Camaro SS convertible is so low! I have given up on the idea of a convertible and will rent something else instead with a big enough trunk
Old May 25, 2012, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Pook
Thank you everyone for your inputs.

No wonder the rate for the Camaro SS convertible is so low! I have given up on the idea of a convertible and will rent something else instead with a big enough trunk
You could always go for a luxury sedan with a panoramic roof. I know, not the same as having a convertible, but might be the closest you can get to replicating the experience.
Old May 26, 2012, 7:09 am

I rented a Camaro from National, and there's a picture of the trunk in my ride report.

http://carrentingreviews.com/2012/05...t-convertible/

not sure if you can see it clearly, but my stuffed backpack took up most of the room in the trunk. There was a little room to the sides, and underneath the cargo shade.
Old May 26, 2012, 7:33 am
Original Poster

drzoidberg - thank you and I've been reading your various reports which are very useful!
Old May 27, 2012, 3:08 am

You can fit one Big suitcase (hardshell) and some small soft bags around it to the trunk. See picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60890849@N05/7220479682/
Old May 27, 2012, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by funfin
You can fit one Big suitcase (hardshell) and some small soft bags around it to the trunk. See picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60890849@N05/7220479682/
Wow, impressed that the renter managed to maneuver the edges of the suitcase into the trunk!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3 Gold, KL Gold, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, HH Diamond, Accor Platinum
I vote for Mustang - I was able to put my big bag + 20" bag + some small stuff around

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.