Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Gold Choice [Now Available in Select Locations]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Gold Choice [Now Available in Select Locations]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Plat
I was at BWI last Tuesday (9/13) and it opened that day. (They still had painters tape on the new lines on the ground since the paint wasn't fully dry). Anyway, it seemed sort of useless. There were about 2 dozen or so "Gold Circle" spots closest to the board, and easily identifiable. There were a WIDE variety of cars in the spots. Corolla, Camaro, QX45 (or some infiniti SUV), S60, C-class, LaCrosse, PT Cruiser, etc. There was no indication as to what the purpose was for the cars here. I only knew to look because I was aware of the GC program. (When I was there the previous week, there were employees next to the board stopping everyone that seemed to be listed on there to tell us about the upcoming rollout. I was practically running to my car since I was late and politely ignored them). So this time I had a few minutes and asked an employee who was loitering nearby to help me out. I asked if I could just take any car. She said "yes". So I asked if there would be any additional fee. She said yes, and it would depend on my original reservation. So I showed her my portfolio: I'm a 5* and had a midsize reserved (and had a Cruze in my spot). She said I could only take a car in my car class otherwise there would be an upcharge. I asked which of those cars were in my car class, and she said just the Corolla (NO THANKS!!). But that was my only choice. I asked what the upcharge would be for the other cars and she said she'd have to check the computer, and look at my rate plan, etc. So here is my take:

To be fair, they has just opened it, and only barely, so it is certainly reasonable to allow for growing pains. I'll be back there tomorrow and will update my report. But am I enthusiastic about this new program? Is it a good answer to National? Not exactly.

Last edited by woody1173; Sep 19, 2011 at 2:33 pm Reason: Trying to figure out how to use bullet points.
          Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
          From my point of view it is just the opposite from National’s “Aisle” program.

While both of them are of course here for business, and both programs were created to help them reach that goal, they are designed entirely different.

National’s Aisle program is designed to benefit the costumer that will in most cases end up with an upgrade at “no additional cost” vs. Hertz GC program which is designed in their benefit that they will end up selling more upgrades after what customers will get excited standing at the GC next to “available to choose from” Infinity’s, Mercedes, Volvos etc. w/o having any clue on how much (or if) they are gonna end up paying for that upgrade.

Last edited by GreeNYC; Sep 19, 2011 at 3:34 pm
          Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:27 pm
          In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
          Originally Posted by GreeNYC

National’s Aisle program is designed to benefit the costumer that will in most cases end up with an upgrade at “no additional cost” vs. Hertz GC program which is designed in their benefit that they will end up selling more upgrades after what customers will get excited standing at the GC next to “available to choose from” Infinity’s, Mercedes, Volvos etc. w/o having any clue on how much (or if) they are gonna end up paying for that upgrade.

From the How it Works section on the program

Do I have to pay for Gold Choice?
          No. When you reserve a midsize car, you can switch to any comparable vehicle in the Gold Choice area at no extra cost. Specialty cars are available at clearly marked ‘per day’ additional charge in the Gold Choice Upgrade area. We also have dedicated personnel to assist with your rental or answer questions. If you don't see the car you are looking for they can help you find exactly what you are looking for.

Pretty sure when they say clearly marked with the per day additional charge, people will have some clue what the charge will be before they arrive at the booth.
          Old Sep 20, 2011, 6:51 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
          Originally Posted by cordelli
          From the How it Works section on the program

Do I have to pay for Gold Choice?
          No. When you reserve a midsize car, you can switch to any comparable vehicle in the Gold Choice area at no extra cost. Specialty cars are available at clearly marked ‘per day’ additional charge in the Gold Choice Upgrade area. We also have dedicated personnel to assist with your rental or answer questions. If you don't see the car you are looking for they can help you find exactly what you are looking for.

Pretty sure when they say clearly marked with the per day additional charge, people will have some clue what the charge will be before they arrive at the booth.

Originally Posted by woody1173
          I was at BWI last Tuesday (9/13) and it opened that day. (They still had painters tape on the new lines on the ground since the paint wasn't fully dry). Anyway, it seemed sort of useless. There were about 2 dozen or so "Gold Circle" spots closest to the board, and easily identifiable. There were a WIDE variety of cars in the spots. Corolla, Camaro, QX45 (or some infiniti SUV), S60, C-class, LaCrosse, PT Cruiser, etc. There was no indication as to what the purpose was for the cars here. I only knew to look because I was aware of the GC program. (When I was there the previous week, there were employees next to the board stopping everyone that seemed to be listed on there to tell us about the upcoming rollout. I was practically running to my car since I was late and politely ignored them). So this time I had a few minutes and asked an employee who was loitering nearby to help me out. I asked if I could just take any car. She said "yes". So I asked if there would be any additional fee. She said yes, and it would depend on my original reservation. So I showed her my portfolio: I'm a 5* and had a midsize reserved (and had a Cruze in my spot). She said I could only take a car in my car class otherwise there would be an upcharge. I asked which of those cars were in my car class, and she said just the Corolla (NO THANKS!!). But that was my only choice. I asked what the upcharge would be for the other cars and she said she'd have to check the computer, and look at my rate plan, etc.

So now you tell me that they gonna have at each GC car detailed its upgrade charge for each contract/rate plan-which counts in the thousands…

What I suggest they should have: either a kiosk style machine which would let you enter your reservation # and it would tell you how much your upgrade fee should be for each car type based on your original reservation/contract info. Or it should be preprinted somewhere on your contract along with all other details. (An additional 10 sheets per Hertz contract…)
          Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott Plat
          BWI Update

So there are 28 GC spots; 14 spots on each side of the first car aisle. 17 spots had cars when I arrived at 9 this morning. I got better details from a different employee today. The spots on the right are "swap" cars, which means anyone that has reserved a midsize or higher can take any of these cars straight to the exit and won't pay an upgrade fee, just like national. The spots on the left are "upgrade" cars, which of course means there's an upcharge. As with last week not a single car was marked in any way to indicate any of this. I was told that at some point they will have some of the upgrade cars marked with a per day price, and if you took that car, you would simply pay that price instead of (not in addition to) your original contract price. For the cars that weren't marked, there would be an upgrade charge that varied based on many factors, including potentially which airline you came in on. The exact fee would be listed on a sheet that a roaming employee would have, and that would be at the exit booth if you just took the car there. I was shown the sheet, or actually a blank template, since the manager hadn't determined those fees yet for that day. The swap cars were Malibu, impala, altima, hhr. The upgrade cars were lacrosse, c class, ctx. There was a maxima on the swap side so I decided to take it. As I opened the door the lady told me that was a mistake and she had to move it to the other side. I just got in my Cruze and left.
          Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Hertz 5*
          Hmmm this sounds interesting, I'll take a look around when I'm at FLL this Friday!
          Old Sep 20, 2011, 7:48 pm
          Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by woody1173
          So there are 28 GC spots; 14 spots on each side of the first car aisle. 17 spots had cars when I arrived at 9 this morning. I got better details from a different employee today. The spots on the right are "swap" cars, which means anyone that has reserved a midsize or higher can take any of these cars straight to the exit and won't pay an upgrade fee, just like national. The spots on the left are "upgrade" cars, which of course means there's an upcharge. As with last week not a single car was marked in any way to indicate any of this. I was told that at some point they will have some of the upgrade cars marked with a per day price, and if you took that car, you would simply pay that price instead of (not in addition to) your original contract price. For the cars that weren't marked, there would be an upgrade charge that varied based on many factors, including potentially which airline you came in on. The exact fee would be listed on a sheet that a roaming employee would have, and that would be at the exit booth if you just took the car there. I was shown the sheet, or actually a blank template, since the manager hadn't determined those fees yet for that day. The swap cars were Malibu, impala, altima, hhr. The upgrade cars were lacrosse, c class, ctx. There was a maxima on the swap side so I decided to take it. As I opened the door the lady told me that was a mistake and she had to move it to the other side. I just got in my Cruze and left.
          Great info. Thnaks for posting.
          Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
          Wow, I can't wait for this to come to DCA! The past two times I have received a double upgrade, but to some large car that I really don't want (Town Car, 7pax SUV, etc). Ideally I like a small car in good shape with sirius and some extras, like leather etc. However if if I reserve anything smaller then a mid-size, I always end up with some POS with crank windows.

Hopefully I'll be able to use this to swap my behemoth upgrade for a nice mid-size. I wonder if I have to choose a car in the class I reserved or the class I was upgraded to?
          Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
          Originally Posted by doctor15
          Ideally I like a small car in good shape with sirius and some extras, like leather etc.

You REALLY think that Hertz will put THIS type of car in the "swap" lane???

As identified earlier, Hertz is doing this for THEIR benefit, NOT the customers!
          Old Sep 27, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
          Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
          You REALLY think that Hertz will put THIS type of car in the "swap" lane???

As identified earlier, Hertz is doing this for THEIR benefit, NOT the customers!
          Well according to them it is for their benefit since they seem to only price according to vehicle size. I would gladly swap my SUV, Premium, or Full-size for a mid-size in good shape. The SUV and Premium rents for significantly more than the mid-size, so apparently they think there is some benefit
          Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5*
          Once again, I feel like Hertz has made this concept way harder then it needs to be.

Why not create two rows, one consisting of the free swap out vehicles and the other with paid upgrade vehicles. Mark half of the upgrade row signs with easy to see $15 a day and the other with $30 a day. Match the areas with the corresponding fleet based on demand, and call it a day.

The idea of having a computer kiosk or CSR who stands and searches prices on an excel sheet is a complete waste and contradicts the purpose of the gold program in general.
          Old Sep 27, 2011, 4:18 pm
          Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by nwaaok
          Once again, I feel like Hertz has made this concept way harder then it needs to be.

Why not create two rows, one consisting of the free swap out vehicles and the other with paid upgrade vehicles. Mark half of the upgrade row signs with easy to see $15 a day and the other with $30 a day. Match the areas with the corresponding fleet based on demand, and call it a day.

The idea of having a computer kiosk or CSR who stands and searches prices on an excel sheet is a complete waste and contradicts the purpose of the gold program in general.
          +1.
          Old Sep 27, 2011, 4:19 pm

While both of them are of course here for business, and both programs were created to help them reach that goal, they are designed entirely different.

A company that mandates a midsize rate will probably get upset when they see an unauthorized upgrade fee on the receipt. Therefore, business travelers will be less likely to take the paid upgrade. This is something leisure travelers are more likely to consider, however.

Most companies don't mind if the business traveler gets a Suburban, as long as the company still pays the midsize rate. Hence the appeal of the Emerald Aisle. The company and customer are both happy.

Also, National has Emerald Reserve. If you book something other than a midsize, you can still choose a car. Hertz's Gold Choice seems to only apply, at least initially, to midsize reservations. If you or your company travel arranger books an economy, chances are high that you probably will still get pre-assigned to an old beat up high mileage Yaris or Rio as before.
          Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:52 pm
          FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
          Came across this in San Diego. Awesome program. Had a crappy Dodge Nitro. Wanted a full size car with trunk, and was able to rent the Chevy Malibu sitting in the choice spot.
          Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:05 pm
          Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
          Was in ATL two weeks ago. The program is way to complicated. I hope they streamline it. If you want to upgrade, you won't know the upgrade price without having someone check for you. Basically it's the same as before (going to Gold desk and asking what is available); the only difference is now you know what is avail for upgrade without having to stop.

I haven't rented Hertz in a while but when did they start charging for Neverlost on a paid upgrade into a Prestige vehicle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.