Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs/Partners > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 4, 11, 7:04 am   #1
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Posts: 2,784
Hertz 24/7 (was Hertz on Demand (was Hertz Connect))

Apologies if old news but I just noticed this splash ad on Hertz's front page. I'd read about but had always dismissed Connect as having no real value for my purposes.

Can anyone familiar with Connect weigh in as to whether any substantive changes have been made to the HoD program?

http://www.hertzondemand.com

Hertz On Demand™ is a pay-as-you go car membership club, and it couldn't be simpler. It's the luxury of having a car, without the hassles of owning one. And with zero membership fees, you only pay for the car when you use it, so you can hit the road with savings.

Enjoy the many benefits of being a Hertz On Demand™ member:

• Free Membership, no enrollment or annual fees
• Rent by the hour or by the day
• 24/7 Vehicle Access
• Gas & Insurance Included
• 180 Miles Per 24 Hour Period
• Luxury and Green vehicle options
• One Way & Round trip Service Available (even to the airport!)
• Guaranteed weekday availability (Mon.-Thurs.)
• 24/7 In Car Member Care


Did you know? Every Hertz On Demand™ vehicle takes 14 personal cars off the road. Reduce your carbon footprint today.

Join for Free and use Promotional Code “ZEWEB25” to receive $25 in Driving Credits*.

For more information and to join for free, visit hertzondemand.com.
bk3day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 11, 3:50 am   #2
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London
Posts: 449
Some subtle differences with the product offering in the UK (well - it's London only unless you want a van).
I don't see it as competing with the mainstream operation - it's trying to tap into a different market. Presumably Hertz will have competitive advantage over streetcar/zipcar on things like fleet purchase power (though it won't make much difference on the tiny number of electric vehicles they have so far!)

UK scheme is:
•Free Membership, no enrolment or annual fees
•Rent by the hour or the day
•24/7/365 vehicle access
•Full Insurance cover included
•30 miles of fuel per day (cars) or 20 miles per day (vans) included
•Low Co2 cars and vans
•Electric vehicles
•24/7 In-vehicle Member Care
rcspeirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 11, 12:21 pm   #3
Company Representative - Hertz
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Programs: Hertz
Posts: 90
Most of the significant changes such as the free membership happened a while ago. This rebranding is just a way to bring it more in line with the traditional Hertz brand. While the 2 are still pretty distinct, we are making HOD available at more traditional RAC locations all the time.

Mike
mmcdowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 11, 1:47 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Orlando, FL, US
Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Posts: 3,325
I'm not sure how coverage is elsewhere, but I have a hard time seeing how they can compete with zipcar and igo in Chicago. HOD has a single location in Chicago, the others have dozens, maybe hundreds.
__________________
"It's alright to lose your heart, but never lose your head."
djk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 11, 5:08 am   #5
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Posts: 2,784
Thanks for your reply, mmcdowell!

I see HoD is touting increased 1 way rentals. Is that only in a few select locations (ala Connect) or has that feature been expanded?

For example, last I checked only 1 NYC location (somewhere in the W50s) offered 1way rentals and those were solely to the NYC=>airport.
bk3day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 11, 8:31 am   #6
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: California
Programs: Just a lowly UA 1K these days; SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, National EC
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk3day View Post
Thanks for your reply, mmcdowell!

I see HoD is touting increased 1 way rentals. Is that only in a few select locations (ala Connect) or has that feature been expanded?

For example, last I checked only 1 NYC location (somewhere in the W50s) offered 1way rentals and those were solely to the NYC=>airport.
I am curious about this too, along with how much it costs? In NYC its only $45 plus tolls for a cab to or from the airport. While you could probably do the trip in <1 hour, are you only charged the hour fee and therefore can save some money or is there a drop charge? Also is there an option to use the service returning from the airport. Here you get a problem I foresee where you want to reserve a car though your flight gets delayed and there is someone waiting on the other end for the car to arrive.

I haven't signed up yet and am slightly annoyed that HOD doesn't give you a detailed map of where their cars are available and what the costs are until after you sign up .
adambadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 11, 1:08 pm   #7
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NYC (formerly BOS/DCA)
Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Posts: 60,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambadam View Post
I am curious about this too, along with how much it costs? In NYC its only $45 plus tolls for a cab to or from the airport. While you could probably do the trip in <1 hour, are you only charged the hour fee and therefore can save some money or is there a drop charge? Also is there an option to use the service returning from the airport. Here you get a problem I foresee where you want to reserve a car though your flight gets delayed and there is someone waiting on the other end for the car to arrive.

I haven't signed up yet and am slightly annoyed that HOD doesn't give you a detailed map of where their cars are available and what the costs are until after you sign up .
Couple of observations:

1) Seems *more* expensive than a cab. I'm getting $50+ from UWS to LGA, for example. And that's not even including the toll, correct?

2) The website is clunky and difficult to use.

3) No recognition of Hertz status or ability to accrue points? Seems lame.
__________________
Bringing cogent analysis, a strong intellect, and respect for others to FT since 2003.
magiciansampras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 11, 5:35 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 86
I've always struggled to understand the pricing. The Hertz website always uses the phrase "priced from...", which doesn't give any real indication as to what the rental will cost. I find competitors' pricing - such as Zipcar and particularly Mint - far more transparent.
enfuego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 11, 11:40 am   #9
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfuego View Post
I've always struggled to understand the pricing. The Hertz website always uses the phrase "priced from...", which doesn't give any real indication as to what the rental will cost. I find competitors' pricing - such as Zipcar and particularly Mint - far more transparent.
If anyone's interested in Hertz On Demand for one-way rentals from NYC area to dropoff at LGA, just forget about it. I spoke to a sales person who lied to me and said they had one-way to all three major NYC airports, and they don't have any one-way dropoffs at LGA, only to Newark and JFK.

LAME.
barely_flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 11, 2:14 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UK
Programs: Hertz #1 Gold 5*, United,Virgin and AA
Posts: 199
Two weeks ago tried to use Hertz on Demand from 55st to JFK one way, they would only allow me to have a Mazda 3, which was to small for 4 adults and cases, when it was connect they offered XC90 etc, so I got the hotel to arrange a car (chevy suburban) with driver for $70 instead of $55 for the on demand car
holodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 11, 2:35 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Inner Circle
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by barely_flying View Post
If anyone's interested in Hertz On Demand for one-way rentals from NYC area to dropoff at LGA, just forget about it. I spoke to a sales person who lied to me and said they had one-way to all three major NYC airports, and they don't have any one-way dropoffs at LGA, only to Newark and JFK.

LAME.
Did you see this?

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/speci...TabLink=tlink4
vballny23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 11, 4:21 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Posts: 2,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by holodoc View Post
Two weeks ago tried to use Hertz on Demand from 55st to JFK one way, they would only allow me to have a Mazda 3, which was to small for 4 adults and cases, when it was connect they offered XC90 etc, so I got the hotel to arrange a car (chevy suburban) with driver for $70 instead of $55 for the on demand car
For future reference, go through Hertz (not HoD) for 1way rentals to NYC airports. Assuming all T&Cs are met, the rates top out at $29.99 & you get Hertz/Airline credit for the rental.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/speci...sp&Category=BB
bk3day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 11, 4:24 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by barely_flying View Post
If anyone's interested in Hertz On Demand for one-way rentals from NYC area to dropoff at LGA, just forget about it. I spoke to a sales person who lied to me and said they had one-way to all three major NYC airports, and they don't have any one-way dropoffs at LGA, only to Newark and JFK.
I do not understand this. What is the problem exactly? I was going to book one-ways from LGA via Demand and was able to pull them up, but then I decided to do something different. They are bookable, although the website is clunky when it comes to those.
wcj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 11, 5:15 am   #14
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk3day View Post
For future reference, go through Hertz (not HoD) for 1way rentals to NYC airports. Assuming all T&Cs are met, the rates top out at $29.99 & you get Hertz/Airline credit for the rental.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/speci...sp&Category=BB
I just tried the Hertz site for a One Way JFK to NYC Downtown and it wants... wait for it.. 110 USD for ONE HOUR of rental in a COMPACT?!

A day later I have a confirmed reservation for 24 hours one way NYC to Washington DC in a Luxury for less?

Confusing.
Foxtbh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 11, 9:37 am   #15
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Orlando, FL, US
Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Posts: 3,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcj1 View Post
I do not understand this. What is the problem exactly? I was going to book one-ways from LGA via Demand and was able to pull them up, but then I decided to do something different. They are bookable, although the website is clunky when it comes to those.
ZipCar and iGo don't allow one ways at all, so there isn't a lot of competition for that market.
__________________
"It's alright to lose your heart, but never lose your head."

Last edited by djk7; Aug 28, 11 at 9:44 am..
djk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:26 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.