FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   Hertz 24/7 (was Hertz on Demand (was Hertz Connect)) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1232947-hertz-24-7-hertz-demand-hertz-connect.html)

bk3day Jul 4, 2011 7:04 am

Hertz 24/7 (was Hertz on Demand (was Hertz Connect))

Apologies if old news but I just noticed this splash ad on Hertz's front page. I'd read about but had always dismissed Connect as having no real value for my purposes.

Can anyone familiar with Connect weigh in as to whether any substantive changes have been made to the HoD program?

http://www.hertzondemand.com

Hertz On Demand™ is a pay-as-you go car membership club, and it couldn't be simpler. It's the luxury of having a car, without the hassles of owning one. And with zero membership fees, you only pay for the car when you use it, so you can hit the road with savings.

Enjoy the many benefits of being a Hertz On Demand™ member:

• Free Membership, no enrollment or annual fees
• Rent by the hour or by the day
• 24/7 Vehicle Access
• Gas & Insurance Included
• 180 Miles Per 24 Hour Period
• Luxury and Green vehicle options
• One Way & Round trip Service Available (even to the airport!)
• Guaranteed weekday availability (Mon.-Thurs.)
• 24/7 In Car Member Care

Did you know? Every Hertz On Demand™ vehicle takes 14 personal cars off the road. Reduce your carbon footprint today.

Join for Free and use Promotional Code “ZEWEB25” to receive $25 in Driving Credits*.

For more information and to join for free, visit hertzondemand.com.

rcspeirs Jul 5, 2011 3:50 am

Some subtle differences with the product offering in the UK (well - it's London only unless you want a van).
I don't see it as competing with the mainstream operation - it's trying to tap into a different market. Presumably Hertz will have competitive advantage over streetcar/zipcar on things like fleet purchase power (though it won't make much difference on the tiny number of electric vehicles they have so far!)

UK scheme is:
•Free Membership, no enrolment or annual fees
•Rent by the hour or the day
•24/7/365 vehicle access
•Full Insurance cover included
•30 miles of fuel per day (cars) or 20 miles per day (vans) included
•Low Co2 cars and vans
•Electric vehicles
•24/7 In-vehicle Member Care

mmcdowell Jul 5, 2011 12:21 pm

Most of the significant changes such as the free membership happened a while ago. This rebranding is just a way to bring it more in line with the traditional Hertz brand. While the 2 are still pretty distinct, we are making HOD available at more traditional RAC locations all the time.

Mike

djk7 Jul 5, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm not sure how coverage is elsewhere, but I have a hard time seeing how they can compete with zipcar and igo in Chicago. HOD has a single location in Chicago, the others have dozens, maybe hundreds.

bk3day Jul 6, 2011 5:08 am

Thanks for your reply, mmcdowell!

I see HoD is touting increased 1 way rentals. Is that only in a few select locations (ala Connect) or has that feature been expanded?

For example, last I checked only 1 NYC location (somewhere in the W50s) offered 1way rentals and those were solely to the NYC=>airport.

adambadam Jul 6, 2011 8:31 am

Originally Posted by bk3day (Post 16679027)
Thanks for your reply, mmcdowell!

I see HoD is touting increased 1 way rentals. Is that only in a few select locations (ala Connect) or has that feature been expanded?

For example, last I checked only 1 NYC location (somewhere in the W50s) offered 1way rentals and those were solely to the NYC=>airport.

I am curious about this too, along with how much it costs? In NYC its only $45 plus tolls for a cab to or from the airport. While you could probably do the trip in <1 hour, are you only charged the hour fee and therefore can save some money or is there a drop charge? Also is there an option to use the service returning from the airport. Here you get a problem I foresee where you want to reserve a car though your flight gets delayed and there is someone waiting on the other end for the car to arrive.

I haven't signed up yet and am slightly annoyed that HOD doesn't give you a detailed map of where their cars are available and what the costs are until after you sign up :td::td:.

magiciansampras Jul 8, 2011 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by adambadam (Post 16679831)
I am curious about this too, along with how much it costs? In NYC its only $45 plus tolls for a cab to or from the airport. While you could probably do the trip in <1 hour, are you only charged the hour fee and therefore can save some money or is there a drop charge? Also is there an option to use the service returning from the airport. Here you get a problem I foresee where you want to reserve a car though your flight gets delayed and there is someone waiting on the other end for the car to arrive.

I haven't signed up yet and am slightly annoyed that HOD doesn't give you a detailed map of where their cars are available and what the costs are until after you sign up :td::td:.

Couple of observations:

1) Seems *more* expensive than a cab. I'm getting $50+ from UWS to LGA, for example. And that's not even including the toll, correct?

2) The website is clunky and difficult to use.

3) No recognition of Hertz status or ability to accrue points? Seems lame.

enfuego Jul 10, 2011 5:35 pm

I've always struggled to understand the pricing. The Hertz website always uses the phrase "priced from...", which doesn't give any real indication as to what the rental will cost. I find competitors' pricing - such as Zipcar and particularly Mint - far more transparent.

barely_flying Aug 24, 2011 11:40 am

Originally Posted by enfuego (Post 16704944)
I've always struggled to understand the pricing. The Hertz website always uses the phrase "priced from...", which doesn't give any real indication as to what the rental will cost. I find competitors' pricing - such as Zipcar and particularly Mint - far more transparent.

If anyone's interested in Hertz On Demand for one-way rentals from NYC area to dropoff at LGA, just forget about it. I spoke to a sales person who lied to me and said they had one-way to all three major NYC airports, and they don't have any one-way dropoffs at LGA, only to Newark and JFK.

LAME.

holodoc Aug 25, 2011 2:14 pm

Two weeks ago tried to use Hertz on Demand from 55st to JFK one way, they would only allow me to have a Mazda 3, which was to small for 4 adults and cases, when it was connect they offered XC90 etc, so I got the hotel to arrange a car (chevy suburban) with driver for $70 instead of $55 for the on demand car

vballny23 Aug 25, 2011 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by barely_flying (Post 16985846)
If anyone's interested in Hertz On Demand for one-way rentals from NYC area to dropoff at LGA, just forget about it. I spoke to a sales person who lied to me and said they had one-way to all three major NYC airports, and they don't have any one-way dropoffs at LGA, only to Newark and JFK.

LAME.

Did you see this?

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/speci...TabLink=tlink4

bk3day Aug 25, 2011 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by holodoc (Post 16994371)
Two weeks ago tried to use Hertz on Demand from 55st to JFK one way, they would only allow me to have a Mazda 3, which was to small for 4 adults and cases, when it was connect they offered XC90 etc, so I got the hotel to arrange a car (chevy suburban) with driver for $70 instead of $55 for the on demand car

For future reference, go through Hertz (not HoD) for 1way rentals to NYC airports. Assuming all T&Cs are met, the rates top out at $29.99 & you get Hertz/Airline credit for the rental.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/speci...sp&Category=BB

wcj1 Aug 25, 2011 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by barely_flying (Post 16985846)

I do not understand this. What is the problem exactly? I was going to book one-ways from LGA via Demand and was able to pull them up, but then I decided to do something different. They are bookable, although the website is clunky when it comes to those.

Foxtbh Aug 28, 2011 5:15 am

Originally Posted by bk3day (Post 16995183)
For future reference, go through Hertz (not HoD) for 1way rentals to NYC airports. Assuming all T&Cs are met, the rates top out at $29.99 & you get Hertz/Airline credit for the rental.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/speci...sp&Category=BB

I just tried the Hertz site for a One Way JFK to NYC Downtown and it wants... wait for it.. 110 USD for ONE HOUR of rental in a COMPACT?!

A day later I have a confirmed reservation for 24 hours one way NYC to Washington DC in a Luxury for less?

Confusing.

djk7 Aug 28, 2011 9:37 am

Originally Posted by wcj1 (Post 16995207)
I do not understand this. What is the problem exactly? I was going to book one-ways from LGA via Demand and was able to pull them up, but then I decided to do something different. They are bookable, although the website is clunky when it comes to those.

ZipCar and iGo don't allow one ways at all, so there isn't a lot of competition for that market.