Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New hertz cars finally!

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2011, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

New hertz cars finally!

I work at the ct. Lauderdale airport in south florida and last tuesday we got a few new cars. We have the 2011 chargers in our fleet(non bookable) and the mercedes gl450(believe that's the name and it seats 7 I believe). I was really shocked for both of the cars. I believe the mercedes suv is replacing the navigator. Just thought I would share.
Old May 30, 2011, 8:25 pm

As you probably know, this year Hertz had to shut off the FL driveout to new reservations early, due to tremendous take. For those who have existing reservations, the FL driveout continues until June 12. I can't help but wonder why Hertz would buy new cars in FL now, if they're going to get rid of some.

Also, for one-ways, Hertz frequently likes to get rid of the worst car on the lot. FLL isn't going to give out the new cars for the FL driveout, for some other city to enjoy, right? More likely an old high mileage Yaris left over from the last FL drivein?
Old May 30, 2011, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Well in order for us to get new cars we have to get rid of the old one. The new cars are't goin anywhere. Well at least to another state. I must say myself that we really do need these new cars if hertz wants to keep up with competition. My little cousin works for Alamo/Enterprise/National and say's that a lot of their customers are coming from hertz because of the car complaints along with the high prices. I myself have been renting from alamo because they have way more choices and newer cars. Plus our hold amout went back to $200 where at Alamo/Enterprise/National only requires the amount of the car whichs helps a lot of people. I also get the family discount from Alamo/Enterprise/National. From my years at Hertz,they are more concerned about prestige cars than anything else. And if hertz wants to keep our customers we are going to need these new cars and lower prices. We had a meeting they told us that 7 out 10 customers never come back and one of the main reasons are the high mileage car complaints.
Old May 30, 2011, 8:57 pm

Thanks for the interesting perspective.

Ever since I got MIA's "worst car on the we have and want to get rid" to drive to NY a few years ago, I did notice that a lot of FL-plated, and out of state-plated in general, cars up here tend to have something undesirable about them. Ex, fender scuffs, looking worn out, higher mileage, etc. So other cities will get those complaints. Although I wonder how purchasing new cars and lower prices can coexist.
Old May 30, 2011, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

We have some plans that I can't say, but from what I know it should help us get more and keep our customers. We also are gonna start renting to 18 year olds(hope it works out lol) .
Old May 30, 2011, 11:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by babyboy754
We have some plans that I can't say, but from what I know it should help us get more and keep our customers. We also are gonna start renting to 18 year olds(hope it works out lol) .
Thanks for posting. Interesting. Do you know if the Mercedes GL450s are replacing the Navigators nationally, or just in some locations?
Old May 31, 2011, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Not sure yet but haven't seen a navigator in months. If I read the keytag correctly it has the same class number as the navigators had.
Old May 31, 2011, 12:33 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
I hope they are bringing the GL450 to the New York area, and they got to get this prestige cars prices down, its way high
Old May 31, 2011, 6:35 am

Yup, the Underage Coupon first brought me into Hertz. A few years ago, I Googled "rental car no underage fee" and was re-directed to Hertz's website. I initially thought it was too good to be true, because, for better or worse, Hertz has a reputation as being "too expensive." In fact, my underage friends and relatives had the same initial reaction. They wouldn't have considered Hertz, until I showed them the good value of the Underage Coupon. A "discount" brand for 25+ < Hertz retail rate, but "discounter" plus taxable underage fee =< Hertz retail rate with Underage Coupon.

Even though I'm now 25, and thus have more choices, the fact that Hertz was the only one who could give me, as a retail underage customer, some amazing one-way roadtrips these past couple of years, makes me more inclined to continue renting from them.

Speaking of which, as someone who is familiar with both the Hertz and National/Alamo/Enterprise business model, you might have noticed some of the reasons the others' cars frequently have lower mileage:

National has relatively few neighborhood stores, targeting primarily business travelers flying in and staying local.

Enterprise has neighborhood stores, but with mileage caps and geographic limitations. They target primarily shop replacement customers who stay local.

National and Enterprise seem to run a higher utilization, which means not just lower prices but also a smaller, less flexible fleet. Likely because of this, they are sold out relatively quickly, and retail intercity one-ways are either exorbitant or unavailable.

I hope Hertz does not try to keep the mileage low by following these examples. Please say they are not.
Old May 31, 2011, 7:19 am
Original Poster

No plans to. The only cars we are strict with miles are the prestige cars. Reason why is majority of them are leased.
Old May 31, 2011, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I got a brandnew car from Hertz this weekend. Must have been the first renter. Too bad it was a &%^$# Chevy HHR. Hated it.
Old May 31, 2011, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

I would never rent those. Lol
Old May 31, 2011, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by babyboy754
Not sure yet but haven't seen a navigator in months. If I read the keytag correctly it has the same class number as the navigators had.
DCA has Navigators and the odd QX56. As well as quite a few Escalades.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I got a brandnew car from Hertz this weekend. Must have been the first renter. Too bad it was a &%^$# Chevy HHR. Hated it.
Hertz PHL just got a ton of them in - I have had two in the past two weeks. Some have moonroofs and leather, some don't. Additionally, they have the Cruze in, again some are the LTZ with everything but Navi, some are more barebones LT models.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:58 am
Original Poster

I can't believe the cruzes are midsize cars. Hope they change it soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.