Corolla, Camry or Chevrolet Impala

Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Corolla, Camry or Chevrolet Impala

Hello,

Looking to making a booking at Atlanta.

My choices are Corolla, Camry or Chevrolet Impala

My husband is 6' 3" so what would be the best car for 2 adults.

The prices are fairly similar and we would have it for 2 weeks.

Thank you.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:23 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The Camry and Impala are full-size vehicles; the Corolla is a mid-size.

The Impala might have working XM radio, but gets poorer fuel economy than the Camry.

I'd probably go for the Camry but I wouldn't be that upset if I got an Impala.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:55 am

And just a note, you're not guaranteed any of these vehicles, you're booking a class of vehicle and these are the examples provided within the class.

That said, I'd choose a Full Size or larger if I were traveling with someone who is 6' 3".
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:35 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Those are just samples of which car they may assign you (and there are others) if you book a full size car, you don't get to choose ahead of time.

At 6 foot 3 I don't think it matters all that much at all, he can probably easily fit into any of them. Some have seats that adjust up and down in addition to front to back, which would be a plus, but it's totally hit and moss what each car has.

You can ask at the counter if you want to swap, or maybe even for an SUV.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

thanks.

Re the SUV they offer the Nissan Xterra as the only SUV. This seems to have bad reviews.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by MrsGG
thanks.

Re the SUV they offer the Nissan Xterra as the only SUV. This seems to have bad reviews.
Again, they offer a Nissan Xterra as a sample of what you will receive. It could be a Ford Escape, Mazda CX-9, etc. The vehicles shown are definately only an example.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:48 am
Original Poster

okay thanks.

I guess the issue with Hertz site is that they only show a few cars prices at any one time.

You have to alter your wishes to display other vehicles/prices.

or at least that is the case with the UK site.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:24 pm

okay thanks.

I guess the issue with Hertz site is that they only show a few cars prices at any one time.

You have to alter your wishes to display other vehicles/prices.

or at least that is the case with the UK site.
It's the same with the US site as well - only the first ten vehicles display a price. If you want to see the price of other vehicles, click the submit button, click it again on the next screen, and then you will see the cost per day and the total.

A full-size car will be fine for your husband. It is labeled as a Chevolet Impala (or similar), but you shouldn't have a problem requesting a Toyota Camry if that's what you want.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
These are the classes booking on the US site.

The Corolla is considered midsize in the green collection. I recently got one on a midsize reservation. I'm 5'10" and the manual drivers seat barely goes back far enough. (it was OK for me but for someone taller, comfort may be an issue). It does gets excellent gas/petro mileage.

The Camry is considered fullsize. (green collection). The driver's seat is usually power assisted and goes back a ways. May be good for a tall driver. The car is larger and gets pretty decent mileage for being a larger car. For the US site, it usually prices more than a full size car since it in the "green" collection. Green according to Hertz means above average fuel mileage. Usually, they are 4 cyl models and the LE (mid model).

The full size can be pretty good. It can range from a larger car with a V-6 (Chevrolet Impala) to a smaller car. I recently received an Impala on a compact car reservation and we enjoyed the car. It does use more gas/petro than other full size cars but it does have a V-6 and IMHO is a very decent motorway/freeway car. Hertz usually have cars more loaded with options than other rental companies. Our Impala had sunroof, leather, heated seats (my wife loved that), etc. The full size category can vary alot with Hertz.

I would say reserve the Toyota Camry since it has reasonable amount of room and it would normally be the most expensive category of the 3 choices. (in the US Hertz system). There is no guarantee you will get a Camry but you may be able to get a larger (better) Premium car since the Camry (full size Green Collection) is usually priced more than full size.

Bottom line: Your experience (mileage) may vary. (YMMV for short). Don't do Corolla since it may not fit a tall person as well as the others. Go for Camry in my opinion.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Thank you.

We are planning on driving around 1500 - 2000 in just under 2 weeks, so will book the Camry I think.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:19 pm
In Memoriam

I think you are still missing the point. You can NOT book a camry, or an Impalla, or any other full size car by make and model. You can book a full size, and when you get to the counter you can try to get the car you want. Hertz does not let you reserve by make and model for full size, you are just booking a category of cars.

Don't drive yourself nuts trying to figure out which car to book, you don't have that option. Just book a full size, and when you go to pick it up try for the car you want if they have it available.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:24 pm

Programs: US CP, CO PE, Avis First, National EE
Can the OP not reserve a Camry under the Green Collection? I've found the pricing to be about the same (on weekends DCA) to reserve a Green Collection Camry.

Originally Posted by cordelli
I think you are still missing the point. You can NOT book a camry, or an Impalla, or any other full size car by make and model. You can book a full size, and when you get to the counter you can try to get the car you want. Hertz does not let you reserve by make and model for full size, you are just booking a category of cars.

Don't drive yourself nuts trying to figure out which car to book, you don't have that option. Just book a full size, and when you go to pick it up try for the car you want if they have it available.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:37 pm
In Memoriam

You can make and model reserve under the fun, green, and prestige collections.

The camry would be a few dollars more than a full size (I think it's usually like only $20 a week) if they wanted to go that route. Though you may not be able to use as many discounts on a Green collection than a full size car.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:23 am
Original Poster

You can make and model reserve under the fun, green, and prestige collections.
Did you not contradict yourself?

The camry would be a few dollars more than a full size (I think it's usually like only $20 a week) if they wanted to go that route. Though you may not be able to use as many discounts on a Green collection than a full size car.
We do not get all those discounts over here - although all USA cars are 20% off at the moment I think for about 2 weeks it works out to around 300 ($475) including all insurances for the Camry.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:10 am
In Memoriam

Did you not contradict yourself?

No, as the thread is about reserving a full size car, not a green collection car.

If you reserve a full size car, you will not have any choice in what they give you. You may be able to get it changed at the counter if they give you one car and you want another, you may not, it depends on who you deal with and what they have.

There is no option what so ever with hertz where you can choose between the Corolla, Camry or Chevrolet Impala as you suggest in the first post, it's just not at all possible.

If you want a Camry, you can reserve a Camry in the Green Collection, which you can reserve by make and model, but it will probably cost a few dollars more.

So it's not a contradiction. If you want a Camry or Carolla, you can reserve them in the green collection, but not as a full size selection. Because you are mentioning the Impala, I (and probably others) are assuming you are reserving a full size car, in which case you have no choice in what they give you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.