Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz can charge whatever card in your profile they want to?

Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club

So, something new I learned recently: if a card is in your profile, Hertz can use it to pay for your reservation. This is the case even if you did not choose that card to make payment for that particular reservation. It is irrelevant whether the card is a corporate card and whether the reservation was booked using the corporate code attached to the card.

Just something to keep in mind before you add credit cards to your profile (especially if you have corporate cards which cannot be used for personal purposes or you're trying to qualify for some offer on a specific card, or, in my case, both).
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
So, something new I learned recently: if a card is in your profile, Hertz can use it to pay for your reservation. This is the case even if you did not choose that card to make payment for that particular reservation. It is irrelevant whether the card is a corporate card and whether the reservation was booked using the corporate code attached to the card.

Just something to keep in mind before you add credit cards to your profile (especially if you have corporate cards which cannot be used for personal purposes or you're trying to qualify for some offer on a specific card, or, in my case, both).
While they CAN, under the T&Cs of the #1 Club program, I've never had them charge a card other than the one I selected when I made a reservation. As far as I know, they only use one of the other cards if the one you select fails to process.
jackal likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:20 pm

It has never happened to me either and I frequently book with cards other than the default one in my profile.
jackal likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Yllanes
It has never happened to me either and I frequently book with cards other than the default one in my profile.
Same.

Did your originally-selected card decline, perhaps?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
I can tell what happened. The card you selected did not process for whatever reason, so Hertz went to one of the other cards on your profile as the default, since you had gold canopy service.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My personal card used to get charged all the time for a corporate rental booked through my corporate travel agency. It might have been the TA's fault though, but either way I could just stop by the booth after the return and they'd charge the correct card. I think even if I didn't have time, they'd switch cards after the fact if I emailed them.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, DL Silver Medallion, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
While they CAN, under the T&Cs of the #1 Club program, I've never had them charge a card other than the one I selected when I made a reservation. As far as I know, they only use one of the other cards if the one you select fails to process.
This is correct, if the primary card on the reservation is declined for any reason, alternate cards on the profile will be attempted until one goes through. If none of them work, then you get the dreaded *** next to your name on the board to go see a representative.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Elola
This is correct, if the primary card on the reservation is declined for any reason, alternate cards on the profile will be attempted until one goes through. If none of them work, then you get the dreaded *** next to your name on the board to go see a representative.
+1.^ Hertz only goes to secondary or tertiary card if the primary card is declined.

Personally, I think it is a good policy as I prefer Hertz to charge my secondary card instead of pushing me to counter. You can, of course, stop by counter to change to a different charge card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.