"Working the upgrade" at Hertz locations in Europe

Subscribe
I've become pretty good at working the counter staff at US Hertz locations to get a good upgrade by pitching in some extra $$ and allowing them to try to upsell me. Often a good upgrade can be had for relatively low $$.

However, in Europe I have not been able to work any specials at the time of rental. The counter staff there are able to put me into a different category of car, but then want to reprice it as if I had booked it into the higher class on Hertz.com -- in other words, no real deal.

Any tips to get a better car in Europe? If it matters, usually I book an I6 class and get a BMW 3 series.
Same here. Last year heading to my sisters wedding, I'd been allocated a VW Passat. Looking around the lot, there were plenty of more desirable cars such as Audis, Mercedes, but when I went and asked if I could pay to get an upgrade, they would only reprice to the 'walk up' rate for those cars which needless to say is very expensive.
The times that I have landed good upgrades have been when I've booked a model that was then unavailable at time of pickup. For example I had a great run of booking 'green collection' intermediates, and getting upgraded to prestige or fun collection cars. In the last few months I've not seen a single upgrade though, and I can see why, because I'm seeing far fewer high-end cars on the lot. I guess they've scaled back because of the economy, so there is no oversupply anymore.
Follow http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13149948-post1562.html - free one class upgrade in 2010 in Europe.
Much thanks! Following the instructions right now...
For some reason I am getting all kinds of trouble trying to book at Hertz.com with a pick-up at AMS. I am usually renting I6 class (Special, Full-Size, Manual) in Berlin, but nothing like that is coming up. Had to pick up the phone (the horror!) and talk to a human to get the reservation done.
Quote: Follow http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13149948-post1562.html - free one class upgrade in 2010 in Europe.
Quick thanks to FT member Razdva for promptly sending the PDF coupon to my email. I will give it a try on the 24th when I pick up my car in AMS and report back as to my success.
I try not to rent in amsterdam these days, last 3 times i booked a golf got a ford fusion according to them it is the same class. Attitude was take it or leave it!! Good luck
Razdva, I just tried your codes for a booking, it comes in 6 cheaper(386 opposed to 392) but main problem is then limit the mileage to 1750kms for the week. This was for a rental in Stuttgart, maybe differant in other countries.
Quote: Razdva, I just tried your codes for a booking, it comes in 6 cheaper(386 opposed to 392) but main problem is then limit the mileage to 1750kms for the week. This was for a rental in Stuttgart, maybe differant in other countries.
I have 2 forthcoming rentals by Hertz when I used code and PC in Italy and Spain. I have unlimited mileage in both cases.

Promotional Coupon: ххх
CDP Discount Plan: ххх
Rate is Guaranteed
Base Amount:
Week: 1 Week at ххх EUR
UNLIMITED FREE KM
Extra Days:3 at ххх EUR
UNLIMITED FREE KM
(MI = Miles KM = Kilometers)
Quote: I try not to rent in amsterdam these days, last 3 times i booked a golf got a ford fusion according to them it is the same class. Attitude was take it or leave it!! Good luck
ha....I rent there 1x per month.....AMS @Schiphol just plain out sucks.....as well as the staff......just picked up a D class today (again, same crappy Toyota Verso as 2x in the past) and an employee ( I speak Dutch) just got a brand new Lancia to take home for the night.....
Maybe they like to keep the nice cars for staff! That might explain their pricing ,I have to rent in Feb they wanted 450 a day for a MB C class with 0 free kms and 2.90per/km
At that rate they must keep most for staff