Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Dirty interior and rusty razor blade - compensation due?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)

I have a 2019 BMW 530 (prestige, paid rental - not upgrade or points) that I picked up from an airport location in the US. I'm happy with the car and have it for another 4 days or so but once I got it out of the airport and drove it a bit, I realized that the interior was quite dirty and went to work on my own with some wipes to clean it up a bit. Wedged between the infotainment screen and instrument cluster, I discovered a rusty razor blade that I very easily could have cut myself on or could have flown out at me while I was driving. I have no idea what it is doing there.

It's very clear the interior of this car was not properly inspected or cleaned; how do I address this? I'd prefer before the rental is dropped off so I don't need to waste time at the airport. Ideal outcome would be some compensation but not sure what is appropriate here.

Many thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:01 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

They turn around the cars pretty quick at most airports. It's basically a wash and a quick vacuum, and unless the cleaning crew notices something really amiss like a stain or smell or something, it goes back out on the lot for the next customer. It's highly unlikely that they would check between the seats and anywhere that's not immediately visible. That's probably not what you want to hear, but it's reality. Your idea of a "proper cleaning" and Hertz's are probably quite different.

All of that said, you can certainly complain to a local manager upon return, but there's really nothing you can do prior to that (or at least nothing that is likely to get any results). You'll either have to budget a bit of extra time at return or just complain later via email and hope that they're willing to do something after the fact. Not sure what you can expect in terms of compensation, if any. It's really up to a local manager.
m907 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I'm sorry to say but while you *could* have injured yourself, you didn't - so while Hertz could have had to pay compensation, they don't...

I mean it in a good-natured way but it's a very important legal principle that you can't be compensated for things that could have happened, but didn't. While I might expect some service recovery if you pushed, it won't be anything signfiicant - perhaps a few hundred points or a guaranteed upgrade on your next rental. Up to you how much you want to make of it.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 2:14 am

Most likely they would tell you to bring it back and get a different car

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.