Old Sep 1, 2009, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Maui Prince lays off workers, shuts down operations

Sad sad sad...

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...ctive+Sept.+16
About 380 employees of the Maui Prince Hotel and the neighboring golf course received notices yesterday notifying them that they will lose their jobs effective Sept. 16 as the result of foreclosure proceedings against the resort.
Advertisement

The hotel's lenders "are unable to meet the funding terms and conditions required by Maui Prince Hotel LLC to continue as the management company for the Maui Prince Hotel and Makena North golf course," said Donn Takahashi, president of Prince Resorts Hawaii, the management company for the owners of the hotel and golf course.

The upscale hotel operator "has no recourse but to give notice to terminate our management contract and cease operations."
Old Sep 1, 2009, 2:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by slippahs

That is sad...

Are they going to shut down for a while and reopen with a non-unionized workforce? I know its been having fiscal issues for a while...
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:46 am

This is such terrible news. I know a bunch of the people at the golf course and tennis center and they are the nicest crew on the island.

Please let whomever takes over operations rehire current employees.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
As a Prince Preferred member, this is sad news.

This was one hotel on my list for our first trip to Maui, possibly in a year.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, SPG Gold, HH, Marriott Silver, Delta, United, TSA Prechk/GE
That is very sad. Does anyone know if this is specific to the Maui Prince only or whether the Prince hotels as a group are having trouble?
Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was told this last week and will miss the place. The buyers (I know one of the principles) paid way too much for the Maui Prince and its surrounding property intending to keep overbuilding as they have for years. My understanding is they will try to sell the hotel in this depressed market and keep the properties if they can.

MisterNice
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Improving news for the Maui Prince:

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content...07.html?nav=10
Old Sep 11, 2009, 4:38 pm

We were on Maui over Labor Day weekend. Had made reservations for brunch at the Maui Prince but received a call the day before we flew out, that they were no longer doing brunch. Most of the restaurants on Maui were less than half full. But not surprised since this is typically slack season for Hawaii. I hope they do get back on track. But could see the need to pair down staff levels given an occupancy rate of 50% or so. Reading on trip advisor, it sounds like lots of folks are canceling or booking else where for trips in the near term.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kboo
That is very sad. Does anyone know if this is specific to the Maui Prince only or whether the Prince hotels as a group are having trouble?
Only Maui Prince..."The Prince hotels" were only the contracted management group for the hotel in Makena, Maui, HI

The name will change when it reopens.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Now Makena Beach & Golf Resort

The hotel is now the Makena Beach & Golf Resort. They told me they managed to rehire most of the former Maui Prince staff.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
The hotel is now the Makena Beach & Golf Resort. They told me they managed to rehire most of the former Maui Prince staff.
Yeah. Never stayed there, but I talked to some staff while passing thru and checking the place out. Very nice people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.