What's Hawaii like for mosquitos ?

Subscribe
I've consulted my guide books and they seem to be fairly silent on the subject - I'm hoping this means that there aren't any and that I won't have to cover myself in DEET for the entire holiday and that I could actually wear some perfume. Any advice ?
I don't think I've gotten bit by a mosquito in the last 6+ trips I've been to Maui, and never worn bug spray.

Even on the golf courses.

I'm sure they're there.....somewhere.

But it's nothing like the Caribbean.....I get eaten alive there.
It really depends on what you plan to be doing and where you'll be and how wet it's been. I hike quite a bit and generally end up with lots of bites. I'll sometimes get a few in town in the evening. In Hana, especially, you should expect mosquitoes. As alternatives to DEET, you can wear clothes treated with permethrin or use the non-smelly picaridin repellent.

Quote:
Efficacy: Picaridin was tested against mosquitoes, flies and ticks in both field studies and in laboratory cage tests. Against certain strains of mosquitoes, Picaridin provides equal or longer protection than identical concentrations of DEET. Efficacy against ticks has been demonstrated in laboratory cage tests.

Cosmetics: Picaridin has been successfully tested with dermatologist. It will not cause irritations on your skin and is nearly odorless.
http://www.picaridin.com/science.htm
There are nil mosquitoes in Hawaii as most of Hawaii is almost a desert eg very dry and few swamps. FWIW I have never used DEET etc on Maui.

MisterNice
Quote: There are nil mosquitoes in Hawaii
Uh, I believe this statement too be patently false.
sorry - I forgot to say we'll be there in December - does it make a difference.

I've tried pretty everything on the market and DEET is the only thing that seems to keep them away. Unfortunately one small bite swells up on me to about an inch (sometimes two) across - then I scratch it incessantly and end up scabby and lumpy ! We'll be in Maui, Keauhou and Honolulu.
Last time we were around HNL in Dec/Jan, we stayed at a big resort just after a week of storms. The initial room they gave us on the 2nd floor was crawling with mosquitoes from the air vents. We asked for a room change to as high up as possible, and that was eventually fine.
Quote: There are nil mosquitoes in Hawaii as most of Hawaii is almost a desert eg very dry and few swamps.
Yes, mostly glaciers, no rainfall, no mosquitoes. Bring crampons.
Quote: There are nil mosquitoes in Hawaii as most of Hawaii is almost a desert eg very dry and few swamps.
Who knew you were able to spend your time on Kahoʻolawe!

Otherwise, that statement is simply not true

Mosquitos -- along with measles, VD, etc. -- were first brought to the islands by the whalers, likely to Lahaina.
What's Hawai'i like for mosquitoes? For them, it's paradise

Outside of urban centers like Honolulu, Lihue, Kahalui, Lahaina, etc., expect to get bitten, especially during early evening or after a rain shower.

If you go hiking, as l'etoile pointed out, expect to get bitten for sure, and dress accordingly (long pants is a huge plus).
Also if you go into a wet cave.

I became bait in one of those caves near Hana. Gorgeous cave - but I paid the price. I was almost in tears I had so many bites.
I got bit last night while on the 15th floor of the Halekulani.
Also got bit a few days ago while walking the gardens of some museum.

I remember driving to Hana a few years ago. After a couple stops I stopped getting out of the car because I was getting swarmed. For some reason, they don't bite my wife though.
So much of your mosquito experience will depend on where you go and where you stay. If you are travelling in rainier, more tropical parts of the islands, there are likely to be mosquitos around.

But, we always stay in Kihei, which is very dry and (while I get eaten alive when mosquitos are around anywhere else) in Maui I never even think about mosquitos or bug spray at any time.

Stay somewhere dry, and forget the deet!
So just as a consensus (and hopefully not to derail the thread too much), which are the driest parts or most mosquito-free parts of Hawaii around Dec-Feb?
In general, the leeward part of any island.