Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

What's Hawaii like for mosquitos ?

What's Hawaii like for mosquitos ?

Old Sep 18, 2009, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by beckoa
Nope... should I watch it now? Have a friend who is a Trekkie- perhaps we should watch it

It was rather creepy to find last night...
There is one scene in particular that will give you the willies for sure
Old Sep 18, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I lived on the windward (rainy) side of Oahu for several years and don't remember them being a big problem. There ARE mosquitos, but, as has been mentioned, the wind will generally keep them away. I don't remember ever having to use repellant, although I do remember the occasional bite.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:01 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
The wetter (windward) areas can have the day-biting "tiger" mosquito, a small mosquito with stripes on its abdomen. This is the one that transmits dengue fever, but that is extremely rare here nowadays. They do not seem to be active at night. We use the weak skintastic off when gardening in our yard (Hilo), other wise we go without any repellent.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 5:37 am

On our first trip to Oahu, Mrs. Deubster & I made the hike to Manoa Falls. By the time we arrived, it was getting toward dusk, and suddenly the mosquitos started swarming. Mrs. Deubster surprised me by pulling a small spray bottle of Off out of her purse. We became popular as we shared it with two other couples who arrived while we were there.

Other than that, on the beaches and in towns, I can't recall ever noticing mosquitos.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Never had a bite in Kona

We have never been bitten by a bug on the Kona Coast on the Big Island
Old Sep 29, 2009, 4:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
I'm try to be eaten by then for about two months a year, but in general not many.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.