Reload this Page >

When is the best time to go to Maui?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is the best time to go to Maui?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009, 3:34 am

Sansei's was awesome. One thing to note, there are 2 locations on Maui and they have different late nite special times. The one in Kapalua (north West Maui) has their late nite deal on Thur. and Fri. I think the one in Kihei (South Maui) has more nights that have the late nite special.

We went twice to the one in Kapalua. First time we just walked up at around 6. Wait was about 40 min. Discovered the early bird special at that time. Went the 2nd time last nite. Showed up 5:10 or so to wait in line (actually arrived at like 4:45, but went to go see the dragons teeth and had MIL who had trouble walking back - not really worth seeing). We were about 3rd or 4th in line. They let the people with reservations in, but it looked like all walk ins who lined up by 5:30 made it in. They suggest ordering as you go, but for the early bird special, it might be 5:50 before you actually get to order so you pretty much have to order all in one shot to make it by 6 if you're a walk in.

Much better to just make reservations for 5:30 if you wanna do the early bird special.

I think we ordered 6 appetizers/rolls and it came out to $98.98 (no alcohol, just soda). Gratuity is included in the early bird thing. 6 sounds like a lot, but I didn't think it was that much food. And that's with 2 women who don't eat much. $100 is pricey for dinner, but it's not much compared to Mama's Fish House.
Old May 11, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by codex57
Sansei's was awesome. One thing to note, there are 2 locations on Maui and they have different late nite special times. The one in Kapalua (north West Maui) has their late nite deal on Thur. and Fri. I think the one in Kihei (South Maui) has more nights that have the late nite special.

We went twice to the one in Kapalua. First time we just walked up at around 6. Wait was about 40 min. Discovered the early bird special at that time. Went the 2nd time last nite. Showed up 5:10 or so to wait in line (actually arrived at like 4:45, but went to go see the dragons teeth and had MIL who had trouble walking back - not really worth seeing). We were about 3rd or 4th in line. They let the people with reservations in, but it looked like all walk ins who lined up by 5:30 made it in. They suggest ordering as you go, but for the early bird special, it might be 5:50 before you actually get to order so you pretty much have to order all in one shot to make it by 6 if you're a walk in.

Much better to just make reservations for 5:30 if you wanna do the early bird special.

I think we ordered 6 appetizers/rolls and it came out to $98.98 (no alcohol, just soda). Gratuity is included in the early bird thing. 6 sounds like a lot, but I didn't think it was that much food. And that's with 2 women who don't eat much. $100 is pricey for dinner, but it's not much compared to Mama's Fish House.
Seems like the prices were a lot higher than when I was there (at the Kihei location.) My wife and I got 5 appetizers/rolls and the total was about $50 after the 25% discount. Maybe we didn't order the most expensive items on the menu, but the average price before discount was about $12-$14. Perhaps the Kapalua location is more pricy??? In any case, it was quite tasty and I'm already looking forward to my next visit in 2010!
Old May 11, 2009, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Seems like the prices were a lot higher than when I was there (at the Kihei location.) My wife and I got 5 appetizers/rolls and the total was about $50 after the 25% discount. Maybe we didn't order the most expensive items on the menu, but the average price before discount was about $12-$14. Perhaps the Kapalua location is more pricy??? In any case, it was quite tasty and I'm already looking forward to my next visit in 2010!
Having been to both on Maui and the one on Oahu, I'm fairly certain the menu and pricing is substantially the same on all three. Again, if one can hold out till past 10 (e.g., if you snack at around 3-5), 50% is a pretty good deal IMHO.
Old May 11, 2009, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
personally, I prefer lunch time. But breakfast is OK too.
Old May 11, 2009, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by polonius
personally, I prefer lunch time. But breakfast is OK too.
Are you referring to "when is the best time to go to Maui"? Or to when to eat at Sansei Restaurant? Sanseis isn't open for breakfast or lunch...
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fairmont President's Club, Aeroplan, Airmiles
Kea Lani Twilight Dinner

Anyone know the approximate prices for the four course Twilight Dinner at the Fairmont Kea Lani?... and if there's an alternate price if you want the four course dinner WITHOUT the wine? Also, I would appreciate if anyone could share their experience if they've tried this.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Dunno. We basically ordered all the specials or recommended items. I'd imagine they were on the expensive side. Well, one was just ramen, but it was some fancy ramen that cost like $16.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UMP, SPG
Slippahs, If you don't mind my asking, where so you stay for your whale viewing Maui trips in January? Mahalo
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nyx.t2t
Anyone know the approximate prices for the four course Twilight Dinner at the Fairmont Kea Lani?... and if there's an alternate price if you want the four course dinner WITHOUT the wine? Also, I would appreciate if anyone could share their experience if they've tried this.
Nick's Fishmarket entrees run $30 to $55.. so a complete four course meal, count on up to around $200 w/tip.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Best time to go to Maui is high season, then less of a good deal when you go. IMHO, Jan/Feb is the best time because the whales are congregating, mating, and breaching. The only thing during the Jan to Mar is rainy season, so if you hit one of those weeks where its' non stop rain, you'll be SOL if you want to tan. Going in the winter has that added benefit of being out of the snow as well.

Otherwise Spring break is an excellent time to go, but then you're paying Spring break prices.

Summer is good when kids are off school. But, if you want the best prices period, then off season Sep to middle Dec, gets you killer prices.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Best time to go to Maui is high season, then less of a good deal when you go. IMHO, Jan/Feb is the best time because the whales are congregating, mating, and breaching. The only thing during the Jan to Mar is rainy season, so if you hit one of those weeks where its' non stop rain, you'll be SOL if you want to tan. Going in the winter has that added benefit of being out of the snow as well.

Otherwise Spring break is an excellent time to go, but then you're paying Spring break prices.

Summer is good when kids are off school. But, if you want the best prices period, then off season Sep to middle Dec, gets you killer prices.
The best time to go to Maui is ANYTIME.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by controller1
The best time to go to Maui is ANYTIME.
Exactly what I'm trying to say.. in not so many words. Awesome!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:56 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
How long, frequent or heavy may be rains in late november?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Generally, you may get a shower in the late afternoon or early morning. If it's late in the month, it may also be a bit cooler, which is relative, it's still Hawaii

There have been times where it has rained for days, but that's the exception and not the rule.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:17 am

My wife and I always go the first half of December, and there are typically a few shows each day, but they're brief (like, 5 minutes brief) and just bring out the rainbows. The biggest issue we've had is VOG....something we didn't know about until our trip a couple of years ago...but it would burn off by noon at the latest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.