Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
Print Wikipost

Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:12 pm

I'm flying PIT > DFW > LAS > HNL arriving at 6:10AM on Nov 03 on one ticket and connecting HNL > OGG at 7:41AM on a second ticket. Both tickets were booked though American Airlines AAdvantage Award website. Both LAS > HNL and HNL > OGG are on Hawaiian metal.

I will attempt to interline at PIT, but based on all the threads I've read, I don't think that'll be happening.

Assuming I have to collect luggage and recheck/rescreen, is 1h 31m enough time at 6-7AM? The next option bumps me up to 2h 18m, but if possible I'd like to keep the shorter one.

Thanks for any advice!
Dan
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by njxbean
So just wanted to get some feedback.

Flying into HNL from EWR set to arrive at 2:03pm on United on Sept 29th.

Connecting to a Hawaiian airlines flight that leaves at 4:37pm to OGG.

*when i booked i was arriving 1:59 and leaving 4:51. Not sure how much that ~15 mins lost will impact us.

These are on different PNRs and we will have checked baggage and are flying in BF on the United flight.

What is the process here? i assume we need to leave security to get our backs and recheck them? How am i on time here? Will ~2.5 hrs be enough time? Is there a way to check through to OGG or must we re-check it? Is there anyway to avoid leaving security? Any additional tips?

Thanks.
I'm a few days ahead of you on the exact same flights. I'll try to remember to post my experiences.

The last time I did it we had to collect our luggage and drop it off again. To save some hassle, I went to baggage claim, checked the bag, and went thru security again. My husband stayed airside with all the other stuff we were carrying so I had nothing on me to put thru screening besides, well, me
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by bigmandannyd
I'm flying PIT > DFW > LAS > HNL arriving at 6:10AM on Nov 03 on one ticket and connecting HNL > OGG at 7:41AM on a second ticket. Both tickets were booked though American Airlines AAdvantage Award website. Both LAS > HNL and HNL > OGG are on Hawaiian metal.

I will attempt to interline at PIT, but based on all the threads I've read, I don't think that'll be happening.

Assuming I have to collect luggage and recheck/rescreen, is 1h 31m enough time at 6-7AM? The next option bumps me up to 2h 18m, but if possible I'd like to keep the shorter one.

Thanks for any advice!
Dan
If you have to worry about interlining, your troubles appear to start in LAS. Hope you have enough time there. However, if I am wrong, at that time of the day, your time element is possible. However, mainland flights on Hawaiian can take a really long time to off-load luggage, but you will be staying in the same terminal, just going up stairs to check them in again.

Last edited by 747FC; Sep 23, 2015 at 10:23 pm
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
If you have to worry about interlining, your troubles appear to start in LAS.
We should be fine there. The PIT > DFW > LAS > HNL is all a single PNR, so I think that allows interlining inherently?

If not, we have close to 3 hours in LAS so we'll be able to make something work there.

Thanks for your help
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:26 am

Palau to Houston Connection Question ~

(US Citizen) ROR > GUM > HNL > IAH

Where will I go through immigration and/or customs for this trip?

Does a 1 1/2 hr connection in HNL allow sufficient time for UA200 on a Thursday morning with 1 checked bag?

Any info will be appreciated. ~
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: UAL Silver Hilton Diamond Hyatt Plat
HNL Connection time ok?

In checking my Delta account they have alerted me that I may miss my connect in HNL due to a schedule change. The only thing I can see changed from original booking is the HA flight number. I am arriving 3:50pm on a Saturday in HNL, connecting to a Hawaiian Air flight at 4:50 to Lihue. It seems ok to me, but should I go ahead proactively try to change to a flight 1/2 hour later? Advice?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:05 am

Do you have bags to check? If so, are your reservations on the same PNR? If they are, an hour is enough time. From your post, it does appear you're on one PNR.

I think you'll be OK. But change if you will feel more comfortable.

My last trip I arrived early, wasn't on one PNR, and still made it from UA, rechecked my bags, and go to the interisland terminal in under an hour. I still had to sit there for another hour because I gave myself a cushion.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:43 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...-airports.html
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: HawnAir
CAR RENTALS HONOLULU
Reminder.....
the HNL Airport is still undergoing the remodel for car rental pick up and return.
Allow some extra time, if you're going to be HNL eta Nov 2015 thru Feb 2016 allow both ends- pickup and return.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: HawnAir
This is a regular in HNL, it was on time today,most of this week
You should be OK w/hour and gate change
Old Nov 11, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; ITA Platinum; HH Gold
Hi, some advice please
I arrive into HNL at midday from LAX and then taking a flight at 2pm from HNL to PHX the same day (a mileage run) all with AA
Will I need to go through security when I land at HNL or can I go straight to the gate/lounge for my PHX flight? I will have just hand luggage
Old Nov 11, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by walmon1977
Hi, some advice please
I arrive into HNL at midday from LAX and then taking a flight at 2pm from HNL to PHX the same day (a mileage run) all with AA
Will I need to go through security when I land at HNL or can I go straight to the gate/lounge for my PHX flight? I will have just hand luggage
You will be staying airside, thus no further security. Aloha.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; ITA Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
You will be staying airside, thus no further security. Aloha.
Cheers 747FC
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:12 pm

Will arrive HNL at 0250 by UA155, and connect to LAX at 0700 same morning (under the same ticket).

I shall be able to get boarding passes for both segments in GUM. However, the late arrival in HNL and AG inspection makes me wondering if I need to take my checkin luggage out to the landside, wait 5am to check in again; or I can just put my luggage back to the transfer belt and go to next gate. The timing is little bit weird, 2hrs transfer during midnight, no shops, no people...

And it seems HNL is closing their terminal overnight to prevent homeless people stay in, there will be small holding area for people who have valid itinerary to go in at night. Anyone have experience on that ?

Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:03 am

You should be able to check your luggage through to LAX if it's all on the same ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.