Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: This is an ARCHIVE (read-only) thread; the active thread for this topic may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2070868-consolidated-hnl-honolulu-waikiki-oahu-restaurants-bars-thread-2021-a.html

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
How does yelp strong arm someone on an IBB?

I mean one of three things happens

1. they leave it as is
2. they delete your post
3. they change your post
or I guess a 4th
4. they would delete your account

but I can't imagine changing anything because of what they threaten me with or am I missing something
Maybe: 5. Shuffle the order of the reviews and not by date. Was surprised to note reviews are not posted by date. On some accounts I noticed that the good reviews didn't start until well down the list. I didn't realize it wasn't in chronological order so can't say this is standard. However it is so with Top of Waikiki. Based on this I would suggest Top of Waikiki to LA_FadeAway for the fifty buck range.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
Maybe: 5. Shuffle the order of the reviews and not by date. Was surprised to note reviews are not posted by date. On some accounts I noticed that the good reviews didn't start until well down the list. I didn't realize it wasn't in chronological order so can't say this is standard. However it is so with Top of Waikiki. Based on this I would suggest Top of Waikiki to LA_FadeAway for the fifty buck range.
Thanks for the suggestion Ken. For right now, we are booked at Azure and will likely end up going there, but it's always good to have additional ideas if we change our mind
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
How does yelp strong arm someone on an IBB?

I mean one of three things happens

1. they leave it as is
2. they delete your post
3. they change your post
or I guess a 4th
4. they would delete your account

but I can't imagine changing anything because of what they threaten me with or am I missing something
In a nut-shell.... If you have bad stuff posted on your yelp account and you want to dispute it.... they will help you out for a "fee" then will try to strong arm you into paying more fees to keep the site cleaned up.... and to advertise....and to make sure your place pops up over competition.

I know several folks that have had fake reviews posted and yelp refused to removed them initially but later on told them that if they paid a fee, they will go away.

How do my friends know they were fake...? In several instances, they were never open when the incident supposedly occurred. In a bunch of others, management went back over video's and couldn't find the incidents in question. And a couple of them would have shown up on camera based on what was posted.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Bearcat06
In a nut-shell.... If you have bad stuff posted on your yelp account and you want to dispute it.... they will help you out for a "fee" then will try to strong arm you into paying more fees to keep the site cleaned up.... and to advertise....and to make sure your place pops up over competition.

I know several folks that have had fake reviews posted and yelp refused to removed them initially but later on told them that if they paid a fee, they will go away.

How do my friends know they were fake...? In several instances, they were never open when the incident supposedly occurred. In a bunch of others, management went back over video's and couldn't find the incidents in question. And a couple of them would have shown up on camera based on what was posted.
I was speaking from the perspective of the reviewer (not the reviewee), I can see how it would happen if you are the restaurant. I just couldn't see how Yelp could strong arm a reviewer
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Steak Shack - for those interested

menu as of April 17 2014

the basic steak shack plate

Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
As for accessing the Sakura/AA club, if you have an AmEx Platinum card then the Priority Pass Select which comes with that will get you in, regardless of airline you're flying.
Is this no longer the case? When I look at the Priority Pass website, it seems like you're restricted to the IASS lounge -- which seems to have a reputation as one of the worst lounges in the world.

I'm flying Hawaiian from the mainland and then connecting at HNL. Other than my AMEX Plat card and the Priority Pass card they issued me, I have Star Alliance gold status through Turkish -- I don't think that card will help me in this situation.

If we get hungry, are there any affordable quick and tasty eats in the HNL airport these days? It doesn't sound like there's any food at the IASS lounge.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
As for accessing the Sakura/AA club, if you have an AmEx Platinum card then the Priority Pass Select which comes with that will get you in, regardless of airline you're flying.
Is this no longer the case? When I look at the Priority Pass website, it seems like you're restricted to the IASS lounge -- which seems to have a reputation as one of the worst lounges in the world.

I'm flying Hawaiian from the mainland and then connecting at HNL. Other than my AMEX Plat card and the Priority Pass card they issued me, I have Star Alliance gold status through Turkish -- I don't think that card will help me in this situation.

If we get hungry, are there any affordable quick and tasty eats in the HNL airport these days? It doesn't sound like there's any food at the IASS lounge.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Originally Posted by iahphx

The Kona Brewing Company restaurant is decent, and if you're a carnivore then the prime rib plate from Lahaina Chicken is probably one of the best airport food deals ever.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life
The Kona Brewing Company restaurant is decent, and if you're a carnivore then the prime rib plate from Lahaina Chicken is probably one of the best airport food deals ever.
And Burger King is quick and affordable (and whether it's tasty is a matter of opinion). There is also a Pinkberry.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life
+1 Lahaina Chicken is also in Makai Market at Ala Moana. The prime rib plate is excellent and cheap!

Jim
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Where do Locals Dine Out in Honolulu?

Where do the locals go for good sushi, Thai food, etc? We love grabbing manapua at local convenience stores and the food trucks, etc all over the island, but trying to find out where residents go for good food. Not in the tourist areas of Waikiki, I would imagine(?).
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: American, Hawaiian, United
Breakfast, Lunch and Crab is closed.

For the last surviving 1940's resturant try the Mariana off of Sand Island Road for lunch or cocktails. Don't let the industrial district or the frontage discourage you. It's original 1940's Hawaii and not made to look like it. It is as it was on the ocean and old Hawaii.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: American, Hawaiian, United
Best Poke at reasonable prices would be Ahi Assasins. Located by the University of Hawaii and not open on the weekends. That's when they go fishing. Poke is made when you order!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by gsupstate
Where do the locals go for good sushi, Thai food, etc? We love grabbing manapua at local convenience stores and the food trucks, etc all over the island, but trying to find out where residents go for good food. Not in the tourist areas of Waikiki, I would imagine(?).
This local, as well as many others, goes to Mitch's Sushi and Sushi Izakaya Gaku. Both are quite expensive.

Mitch's is in the airport industrial area, in a warehouse-type building. You can bring your own alcohol (if you want to drink alcohol).

Izakaya Gaku is more of a traditional sushi restaurant atmosphere.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by 747FC
This local, as well as many others, goes to Mitch's Sushi and Sushi Izakaya Gaku. Both are quite expensive. Mitch's is in the airport industrial area, in a warehouse-type building. You can bring your own alcohol (if you want to drink alcohol).
+ infinity for Mitch's

Very near the Alamo car return place, limited on-street parking. I went yesterday (10 Feb) for lunch around 2:00 pm. Incredibly fresh fish of the highest quality. The special plates are minimum two, and I was alone, so I stuck to ordering the deluxe sashimi, Miso soup is served with a shrimp head in the broth, lending an delicious intensity to the broth. Warm, friendly service, too.

Highest possible recommendation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.