Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: This is an ARCHIVE (read-only) thread; the active thread for this topic may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2070868-consolidated-hnl-honolulu-waikiki-oahu-restaurants-bars-thread-2021-a.html

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2003, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
I thought poke was a type of fish? I did see it at a local spot in a casserole type of dish.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
all forms of poke I've had are raw fish, most common being tuna w/a soy sauce and sesame oil base to it. A very cheap eat that is in most grocery stores in HI.</font>

[This message has been edited by SLC-YYZ (edited 01-14-2003).]
Old Jan 29, 2003, 2:19 am

Okay

Poke is raw fish with other ingredients added such as limu (seaweed), onions, chili pepper, sesame seeds and a soy based sauce

Sashimi is high quality raw fish filetted and most often served with soy sauce and wasabi (green japanese horseradish..beware of large portions of this stuff as I have treated tourists in ER that have become overcome by it...start small its not a appetizer.)
Old Apr 11, 2003, 11:09 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
"A Tropical Smorgasbord in Honolulu"
From the New York Times, April 6

TEN years ago, people used to joke that the best food you were going to get in Hawaii was on the plane over," recounts Wanda Adams, food editor of The Honolulu Advertiser. While I was aware that the culinary scene in Hawaii had moved beyond colorless Continental hotel fare, I was not prepared for the dazzling and sophisticated cooking I encountered during a recent weeklong visit to Oahu, where I focused on Honolulu restaurants. Mango, taro root, guava, fresh vanilla, seaweed, pineapple, coconut and superb local seafood all contribute to a cuisine that is wonderfully varied and evocative of these lush islands.
Hawaiian cooking broke out of the gate in the late 1980's when a local chef, Roy Yamaguchi, who had been trained in French- and California-style kitchens, opened his namesake restaurant in Honolulu. His deft and daring experiments using classic techniques with tropical ingredients were nothing short of revolutionary. Before long many young cooks, a good number of them toting degrees from Mr. Yamaguchi's campus, went off on their own. What they have fashioned has been proudly labeled H.R.C., for Hawaiian Regional Cuisine. For purposes of my Honolulu dining tour, I concentrated on independent restaurants, even though some first-rate food can be found in some hotels. A word of advice: The multisyllabic street names can be confounding, so it is best to write down addresses for taxi drivers. ...

Alan Wong's ....
Roy's.....
Ono Hawaiian Foods .....
Chef Mavro....
Indigo....

Full article and reviews at (free registration required)

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/06/travel/06tab.html
Old Apr 18, 2003, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
For sushi/sashimi, go to the Mandarin Oriental. That's my favorite spot for brunch.

Also, try Waiola Shave Ice near McCully.
Old Apr 19, 2003, 11:05 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Go to the Dole Plantation for a Dole Whip and a piece of pineapple macadamia nut pie...mmmmmm Dole Whip!!
Old Sep 19, 2003, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The Roy's on Oahu was very good, and we made a point to go there at least once or twice a trip. We generally sat outside on the lanai and listened to Maunalua, which we've gotten to know pretty well. Since they stopped performing there almost 2 years ago, we don't make a point to go there. I guess it was the company . The food is good, but not really good, and a little overpriced. We have since learned that good food & Hawaii don't necessarily go hand in hand. There are a few good spots, but overwhelmingly, those restaurants are pricey for the food served. If you go to Roy's, it's much nicer & quieter to sit outdoors & the food is the same. If they still have entertainment, it's outside.

That said, we found a gem right outside Waikiki.... C&C Pasta - one of the best kept secrets on Oahu. Extremely small place. They just renovated and now can seat about 25 people at a time (that's it). It's a small storefront & the food is good. It's not quite as pricey as the places in the tourist destinations and the food is fresh & good and well prepared. Get there early if you want to eat .

We've found the best places to eat in residential areas. We very rarely will eat a meal in Kona or Waikiki.

Mary
Old Sep 21, 2003, 7:28 pm

Has anyone ever been to The Crouching Lion on Oahu? Ive been looking in to a rental house near there.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I just got back from HNL, and a friend took me to a great GARLIC restaurant there....

it's called NINNIKUYA

located at 3169 Waialae Ave.
phone: 808-735-0784

it was a short cab ride from Waikiki

My friend had the Caesar salad....I had the spinach salad. We shared and then agreed that the spinach was better.

We also split the rack of lamb. It arrives tableside on a HOT cast iron plate. It also arrives surrounded by about 50 cloves of garlic.

It was FANTASTIC...but my breath was another story.

Thumbs up!
Old Oct 28, 2003, 8:57 am

Honolulu Restraunt,, thanks to a fellow FT'er

Some time ago a fellow FT'er recommended a local Japanese restraunt in Honolulu. A big Thank You!
The restraunt is Irifune, 563 Kapahulu.Its a small quirky local Japanese restraunt that seems to be decorated in Japanese Goodwill hand me downs. Don't let the decor bother you, this was one of the best meals we had in Honolulu and that includes several "big name" restraunts. Their speciality is Garlic Ahi. Our family had several different fresh fish dishes and raved about them all. Waite staff was very helpful and surprised we (non locals) knew about their restraunt. We highly recommend this restraunt. BYOL
Old Oct 31, 2003, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
has anyone tried the Side Street Inn? We ate there during the Honolulu portion of the trip, and although the decor and neighborhood left alot to be desired (a sign on the wall stated "if your car is vandalized, please inform management"), the food was really interesting and tasty. The place was full of locals...I don't think any tourist would find it.
Old Nov 29, 2003, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Has anyone been to or know anything about the restaurant...

called Michels on Kalakaua. It is supposed to be a fine dining experience. It is at the Colony Surf Hotel. Is this hotel on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki?

We saw it in some of our Honolulu literature tonight and thought we would like to try it when we visit next March. Any comments would be much appreciated. Mahalo.
Old Nov 30, 2003, 6:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Absolutely one of my favorite restaurants on the island.

Great sunsets - top service. It has been over a year since I visited but the two things that I remembered was that we were wearing dark clothes and they replaced the white napkins with black ones. I don't know why I remember this - but I do.

They have a seafood sampler appetizer that is to die for. Definitely enough for 2-4 people to share.

Great salads and desserts - some prepared at table.

It is located on the Diamond Head end of the beach - not a bad walk though. We walked from the Royal Hawaiian.

Sorry that I don't remember more specifics on other items on the menu.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 2:20 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wife and I were taking a morning walk when we decided that we wanted breakfast, we noticed the Sam Choy location in downtown Honolulu and stopped in. The mgr was there and was very sorry that they were only open for dinner. He proceeded to give us two free cards for free beers at the Sam Choy location on Nimitz Hwy.

The brews are brewed there at the Nimitz Hwy location. They were quite enjoyable after an afternoon of cruising around on our rented motorcycle.

Sam Choys
580 N. Nimitz Hwy
Honolulu
Old Jan 20, 2004, 5:50 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
all forms of poke I've had are raw fish, most common being tuna w/a soy sauce and sesame oil base to it. A very cheap eat that is in most grocery stores in HI.</font>
True, but one of Sam's signature dishes is fried poke which is poke that is seared in a wok, and still quite raw in the middle.

I've eaten at BLC many times, the most recent a few evenings ago for dinner.

I had the New York Steak, done pulehu style, which is flame grilled and seasoned with Hawaiian salt. I found it to be well seasoned and juicy. I selected the chili-soy dressing for my salad, which was also very well balanced and not overwhelming.

As always, the portions are very generous.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:43 pm
DH

I had the one of the best steamed rice at Sam's.

I liked the breakfast I had even though I don't recall but I remember the excellent steamed rice though...

P.S. My wife had fried poke and she didn't like it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.