Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: This is an ARCHIVE (read-only) thread; the active thread for this topic may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2070868-consolidated-hnl-honolulu-waikiki-oahu-restaurants-bars-thread-2021-a.html

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2002, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Also looking for a romantic restaurant with a lovely atmosphere in Oahu. Any suggestions?
Thanks again.
Old May 7, 2002, 3:03 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
The high rise Sheridan (next to the old pink one) had a terrific view from the resturant on the top floor (from the bar - we couldn't afford to eat there). I would think that the resturant would have similar views. I have heard that some of the sunset dinner cruises are very good. Maybe someone who has taken them could respond.

Have fun!

DD
Old May 8, 2002, 11:54 am

If you're into steaks and chops, the premier steakhouse in Hawaii is Hy's Steakhouse on Kuhio Avenue. Excellent food, excellent service and live mellow music in the lounge every night except Sundays. Expensive but very romantic.

Michelle's on Kalakaua Avenue features fine dining French overlooking the beach. Great food at great prices. Romantic dinner with a stunning view of the sunset.
Old May 8, 2002, 4:27 pm

I second Michelle's. Breathtaking views right on the ocean. Glad to know it's still there; I haven't been to Hawaii in over 15 years but am happily returning in August, so this place will be on my list!
Old May 8, 2002, 8:52 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
We had a lovely anniversary dinner at Nicks Fishmarket

http://www.waikiki-gateway-hotel.com...restaurant.htm
Old May 9, 2002, 5:59 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
I think the restaurant DoggyDaddy is talking about is the Hanohano Room at the top of the Sheraton Waikiki hotel.
Old May 9, 2002, 3:29 pm

Yes, Nick's Fishmarket is the top seafood restaurant in Waikiki. Cozy and intimate, with live music. Only negative is that it is enclosed - no view.

Another top seafood restaurant near Kewalo Basin is John Dominis, also with nice views of the sunset.

Italian fine dining can be found Matteo's on Seaside in Waikiki. Excellent osso bucco, veal and cioppino.
Old May 9, 2002, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Alan Wong - best restaurant in town, in the Pacific region by some estimates. I personally think that the food is stunning, but have had some problems with service.

Hoku's at Kahala Mandarin Oriental - my personal favorite. Pacific/Asian fusion, not quite as refined as Alan Wong, but the service is better and the room is better - oceanfront in Kahala.

I've also heard very good things about Chef Mavro, though I haven't been there.
Old May 9, 2002, 11:29 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nick's is wonderful - best service I can remember in years. They also take the entertainment card and are (I think) idine, but, again, no view. Dark and romantic, though.
Old May 13, 2002, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum
A nice little gem of a restaurant is located in the New Otani Hotel, The Hau Tree Lanai (sp). Quiet, dining under the big tree overlooking the water, tiki torches burning. The food, as I recall, was very good and reasonably priced.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 9:34 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Oahu/Honolulu: Consolidated Honolulu/Waikiki/Greater Honolulu Restaurants Thread

Post your recommendations and questions concerning Oahu restaurants in the Metro- and greater-Honolulu and Waikiki areas

Culled from a thread on the Hawaii discussion board on about.com concerning "Good, Local, Cheap Restaurants" on Oahu.....

I went to Todai for the first time last week for my Godchild's 21st birthday. It was the first time I've been there. I went for the fish (my usual strategy on a buffet). The crab was really good and the poki and sashimi were excellent. The sushi was good too. And the desserts were good. I thought Todai was good, but it's not cheap....I think it's about $25... It's in Waikiki kitty corner from Hilton Hawaiian Village there at that intersection of Ala Moana Blvd. and one side is Kalia and the other side is Ena Road.

Then near there in the Wailana Building is the Wailana Coffee Shop, which is also popular with the locals. Reasonable prices, good food and large portions. They have a good breakfast that you can order any time of the day--2 eggs with all you can eat pancakes.

There's a little Viethnamese restaruant on River Street in Honolulu that people stand in line for --I think it's called To Pho. It's just a little hole in the wall store front type place and people will be lined up down the sidewalk waiting to eat there. The Vietamese make a really good version of the Asian noodle soup called pho (pronounced foh). You can get it with beef or fish; they may even make it with chicken.

I like Zippy's http://www.zippys.com/ - I usually get their fried chicken plate lunch (3 pieces chicken, two scoops rice, and Mac salad or tossed salad). There is one In Sears at Ala Moana, by the auto department.

I also like Kobe Japanese Steak House http://www.hawaiisbusiness.com/kobe/ (on Ala Moana, adjacent to the Hilton Hawaiian Village). I find it as good as Tanaka or Benihana's, and quite a bit cheaper. It's a teppanyaki place, where they cook your meal in front of you. If you go between 5:30-6:30 p.m., they have a "Sunset Special" - Teriyaki Chicken and Steak for $16.95 (there are other specials for even less).

I went to the Sunday Brunch Buffet at the Orchids restaurant in the Halekulani http://www.halekulani.com/dining/orchids/orchids.asp The brunch was $24.50 (!), but my uncle paid. I felt I ate about $15 worth of food - I mean it was excellent, but $24.50 would buy me groceries for a few days!

My pastor told me that the best deal in Waikiki is Duke's Canoe Club at lunchtime. ($9.95 for all you can eat) Go to http://www.dukeswaikiki.com/ click on sample menu, then click on Lunch - they give a description of their buffet, and the hours. Dukes is right on the beach, in the Outrigger Waikiki Hotel (2335 Kakakaua Avenue) - it is next door to the Sheraton Moana-Surfrider.

There's a very good Mexican restaurant in the Hawaii Kai shopping center (where the Costco is out there), but then that's a way to go without a car, too. I don't know what the prices are like, but the food is wonderful. It's called Pedro's. The owner, Pedro Moreno is from San Diego where he owned a restaurant for about 20 years; he and his wife moved to Hawaii when his wife got an executive position at some company here. I helped them with some business tax matters a couple of years ago and then later came back with food from his restaurant for my entire office. It was REALLY GOOD. So, for anyone who likes Mexican food, I recommend Pedro's in Hawaii Kai.

Kiawe Grill Korean BBQ & Burgers. You may not care for the Korean food, but they also have an assortment of burgers and also fries (steak fries). I thought the Korean food was good and they gave such large portions that I didn't finish mine and took some of it home with me. Samples of the prices are : Keawe (something like mesquite) Grill Kobe Burger 1/2 pound, $4.75. Keawe BBQ Beef Burger, Pork Burger and Chicken Burger are $3.35, and for a deluxe (don't know what's on the deluxe) it's $3.50; Keawe Grill Steak Burger, $3.25 & delux $3.50; Keawe Grill Hamberger & Teri-burger, $2.50 , deluxe, $2.75; Keawe Grill Cheese Burger, $2.75 & deluxe is $2.95. Steak Cut French Fries are $1.75 Keawe BBQ Beef - mini plate $4.95, regular $6.25, Keawe BBQ Pork, $5.25 & $6.45, K BBQ Chicken, $4.95 & $6.25, Keawe Grill Pork Chop, $4.95 & $6.25 & Keawe Grill Steak, 8 oz $7.75 & 10 oz $8.75. If you like fish, they have Keawe BBQ Shrimp & Keawe BBQ Scallops, mini $5.75 each, regular $7.25 each. The name of the place again is Kiawe Grill BBQ & Burgers; the address is 2334 S. King Street and the phone number is 955-5500. The #1 & #6 buses go down King St. It's not far from University Avenue (A Express makes a stop at King & University).

Last edited by slippahs; Jun 5, 2007 at 2:46 am
Old Jul 26, 2002, 10:53 am
CMW

I really like the Maple Garden (Chinese restaurant) on Isenberg.

Try the Chinaman's hat (aka Mu Shu Pork). Although for me, the Beef and Broccoli is the best I ever had.

I found it to be a reasonably priced alternative if you're tired of spending $$$ in restaurants catering to the tourist trade.

FWIW, I love Duke's too!
Old Aug 3, 2002, 1:35 pm

Oahu/Honolulu: Consolidated Honolulu/Waikiki/Greater Honolulu Restaurants Thread

Post your recommendations and questions concerning Oahu restaurants in the Metro- and greater-Honolulu and Waikiki areas

Last edited by slippahs; Jun 5, 2007 at 2:16 am
Old Jan 12, 2003, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Sam Choy's Breakfast Lunch and Crab

Returned to this spot during a 6+ hr layover in HNL.

Arrived at the restuarant to find that only the Breakfast menu was offered (was hoping to order the Bento on a Plate). Not offered so the best option for a local's breakfast (Hawaiian soul food) was the Loco Moco (offered in various forms everywhere in Hawaii by everyone). It was served in a very big Chinese-style rice bowl about 2/3rds filled with rice, a chopped steak and fried onions on top smothered by brown gravy and topped with an egg. Not exactly gourmet dining (would have had the poke which is fried fish if I wanted that) but nice heart-stopping fare.

Coffee, while not cheap at $2.20, was good and strong but not acidic. Supposed to be 100% Kona.

I highly recommend this location over the more touristy "Diamond Head" location on/near Waikiki Beach. Food is much better and authentic local and service is much better. The Diamond head location suffers from having a poorly-designed kitchen (too small for one) and service can be slow and extremely spotty.

You can get there by the No. 19 or 20 bus for $1.50 (a transfer should get you back). Just get off where the bus turns left off the Nimitz Highway.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 6:17 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
....(would have had the poke which is fried fish if I wanted that)... </font>
all forms of poke I've had are raw fish, most common being tuna w/a soy sauce and sesame oil base to it. A very cheap eat that is in most grocery stores in HI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.