Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: This is an ARCHIVE (read-only) thread; the active thread for this topic may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2070868-consolidated-hnl-honolulu-waikiki-oahu-restaurants-bars-thread-2021-a.html

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:02 pm

What are some good places to eat? I've got the Original Pancake House, Rainbow Drive-In, Helena's Hawaiian food, Ono Seafood all on my list. Anything else in particular that I need to try? Note: I'm not a picky eater so any suggestion would do.

Just to add, I'll be going solo.

Last edited by maortega15; Feb 16, 2015 at 2:21 pm
Old Feb 22, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
La Mariana Sailing Club Restaurant?

http://www.lamarianasailingclub.com/?page_id=80
This place bills itself as the last of the original Tiki bars from old Honolulu. Any reviews?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:31 pm

Surprise Wedding Anniversary 9/15

Hello. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about "Chef Chai" or "Lung Fung Chinese?" I seen them on Living Social.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by mommafrica
Hello. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about "Chef Chai" or "Lung Fung Chinese?" I seen them on Living Social.
Can't say anything about Lung Fung but I have had several sampling items from Chef Chai and they are pretty tasty iirc. Chef Chai is a famous local chef of Thai descent so you will get local flavors with Asian flavors in many of the dishes.

I haven't had full dinner service at his restaurant so can't comment on any aspects of the service. But a good friend of mine recently went for a celebration and had great things to say about it! He also comes out to check on his tables sometimes so you know he takes pride in his restaurant/work.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Any recent comments regarding Town Restaurant in Honolulu?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Any recent comments regarding Town Restaurant in Honolulu?
Try the 12th Avenue Grill. They moved to a new location across the street.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Try the 12th Avenue Grill. They moved to a new location across the street.
Second this. Great place. Especially for drinks and dessert :P (My two favorite courses)
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reverted
Second this. Great place. Especially for drinks and dessert :P (My two favorite courses)
Thank you both, but any recent comments regarding Town?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Thank you both, but any recent comments regarding Town?
Town was great. Great (and fun) service, very good food, totally accessible and reasonable wine list. We did our own tasting menu (shared 5 things) instead of their set tasting menu. I'd return without hesitation.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by reverted
Can't say anything about Lung Fung but I have had several sampling items from Chef Chai and they are pretty tasty iirc. Chef Chai is a famous local chef of Thai descent so you will get local flavors with Asian flavors in many of the dishes.

I haven't had full dinner service at his restaurant so can't comment on any aspects of the service. But a good friend of mine recently went for a celebration and had great things to say about it! He also comes out to check on his tables sometimes so you know he takes pride in his restaurant/work.
Thanks Alot! I've been so wrapped up in putting this trip together. After taking suggestions from everyone, I'm going everywhere in different directions. I found out today that Chef Chai's is nowhere near the DblTree Alana Waikiki as well as the HR.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:49 pm

Hawaiian/fusion - like Roy's but cheaper pls!

I'm looking for a sit-down place with food/menu just like Roy's, but cheaper. Would love to have Nalo greens then a plate of fusion appetizer samplers, followed by nice Hawaiian/Asian-inspired seafood plate. Just like Roy's! However, Roy's easily comes to $100 + tax/tip for 2 adults (without drinks).

I'm looking for a nice place that's ~2/3 (or less) Roy's price. Hopefully within 15min drive from Waikiki. Been to the new full-service version of Nico's at pier 38 and that's the type of price point I'm looking for, but their food is not quite as interesting, extensive or fusion.

I'd appareciate any suggestions!
Old May 25, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
I'm looking for a sit-down place with food/menu just like Roy's, but cheaper. Would love to have Nalo greens then a plate of fusion appetizer samplers, followed by nice Hawaiian/Asian-inspired seafood plate. Just like Roy's! However, Roy's easily comes to $100 + tax/tip for 2 adults (without drinks).

I'm looking for a nice place that's ~2/3 (or less) Roy's price. Hopefully within 15min drive from Waikiki. Been to the new full-service version of Nico's at pier 38 and that's the type of price point I'm looking for, but their food is not quite as interesting, extensive or fusion.

I'd appareciate any suggestions!
So somewhere around a $20 main course so you can fit in the salad and apps?
Old May 25, 2016, 8:33 pm

Let's forget appetizer. How about <$35 total for salad + entree (eg, seafood entree under $30).
Old May 26, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Roy's Eating House 1849 is opening on the roof level of the new Waikiki International Market Place in August. We ate at his "Eating House" on Kauai and it's less formal and less expensive than the traditional Roy's. Food and service was excellent.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:43 pm

Okay thanks, I'll have to check it out next time. Just got back from HNL. We had a strict budget which got wiped out by snorkeling tour. So we couldn't have a single fancy meal on this trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.