Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "F/C/J Class to/from Hawai`i - questions, suggestions, options" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "F/C/J Class to/from Hawai`i - questions, suggestions, options" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2003, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

We want to fly to Hawaii next September for our wedding and honeymoon. We will be coming from the east coast (Florida). We want to use FF miles (Amex)if possible but don't want to use more than 150,000 per person to get there. Hawaiian Air has the best timing for us and we can go using 80,000 miles each, but is there seats and service satisfactory? We are not tall/heavy people so extra large seats aren't a requirement, but good service, good food, seats with leg rests and a good recline would be ideal - if possible. We have never flown First Class in the US - only to Europe.

Delta will work, but their depart/arrival times are not as ideal for us. Continental is too expensive right now - both with miles or dollars ($600 a piece more than the other Airlines)

I would love any advise you frequent flyers to the Islands can offer me.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 8:35 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Welcome to FlyerTalk, and, the FT Travel - Hawai`i Forum!

First and formost, there is a wealth of information on this site - I urge you to learn and use the search function.

That being said, I think you are on the right track about your airline choices. If you like, take a look at the airline forims in the FT Miles section. The consensus seems to be that award travel to and from Hawaii on CO is very hard to come by. That, and they have very limited service to and from the islands.

I saw a recent post in the Hawaiian Airlines forum that had a favorable report of their first class product. Everyone I know who has flown F on HA has been happy with it, compared to other airlines.

Hope this helps!
Old Nov 17, 2003, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I didn't know there was a specific Airline site in here somewhere. I'll check it out. Much appreciated.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First class domestic is a very different animal than first class international.

We flew IAD-KOA-IAD on UA. It is not the quality of business class international.

Old Nov 17, 2003, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slawecki:
First class domestic is a very different animal than first class international.

We flew IAD-KOA-IAD on UA. It is not the quality of business class international.

</font>

Very true. Please note that the only airline that still has an "international" first class product to Hawai'i is Continental with their BusinessFirst. Although the quality of BF has declined significantly throughout the years, all other airlines have converted their first class cabins to domestic first.

Hawaiian Airlines is a good choice, however, if you're planning to fly F to HNL. You'll get friendly service, above-par food, etc.

In the long run, since Hawaiian does not service Florida, that means you'd have to connect on another carrier in PHX, LAX, SFO, etc. I suggest you keep using www.nwa.com/jp (the Northwest Japanese website) to keep checking availability of standard BF award on Continental. When you get to the website just click on "Award Travel Reservations" under the heading Worldperks and in the "Airline" field, click Continental.

Avoid Delta.

If you do plan on connecting thru a West Coast city, have you considered Aloha as well?

Hope this helps. Aloha
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:35 pm

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
Just wrote a post on this here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum35/HTML/007792.html
Old Jan 2, 2004, 7:57 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I was doing a search myself for reports on first class service to HNL and found this thread. I don't know if you've already made your reservations, but you should look into NW. They have domestic first class service to Hawaii but some flights are on international equipment and thus have NW's WBC seats.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 2:40 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Have flown both AA and UA F class in the past two months from Florida to Hawaii. AA was much better in terms of seat pitch, therefore, making the flight much more comfortable. However, service/food was a bit better on UA.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 3:37 am

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
I flew in F on AA from SJC-HNL. I was very impressed with the service, and even more impressed with the food. It was a great experience.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lensman:
They have domestic first class service to Hawaii but some flights are on international equipment and thus have NW's WBC seats.</font>
Actually all NW's -10s operating the HNL/OGG routes have WBC seating but F domestic service.

However, when they bring in the 753s to service the West Coast - Hawai'i routes in the upcoming months, those flights will sadly lack any WBC seating.

aloha
Old Jan 6, 2004, 7:50 am

I have done this trip 3 times w/AA in first and every trip has been more than a pleasant experience. I will be doing my next one in April. Everyone of of these trips have been award tickets. The last 2 have been for 4 people. Enjoy
Old Jan 10, 2004, 6:46 pm

Unfortunately if the first poster is trying to use AMEX points, I don't believe they transfer to American, at least they didn't when my sister was wanting to travel. I know they will to Delta or USAir.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 9:46 pm

Programs: American, United, Hawaiian, American Express
Post Best 1st Class From Lax To Hawaii??

Does Anyone Know The Best 1st Class Service From Lax To Maui??
I Went On United Last Year, And Wasn't Impressed!!
Thanks!!
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:03 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Welcome to FlyerTalk! ^

We've had a similar discussion recently; I think you might find some useful information in the thread below.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607833
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:14 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Aloha and welcome to FlyerTalk! As your AA partners HA, and your UA partners AQ, why not try one of our local carriers?
I fly F on HA HNL-LAS 10 times a year, and don't mind a bit. (I like it alot!) The seats have leg and footrests, unlike UA! But without HA status or HAMiles helping out, the $1200++ each way price is very dear. Can you use any AA or UA miles? HA lets you use 1/2 and 1/2! Also try the 'search this forum' tool for additional threads on this and other subjects! Aloha to FlyerTalk!

Last edited by kaukau; Oct 16, 2006 at 10:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.