Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Young Woman Going to Hawai`i on Own: Possible? Safe? Hints?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Young Woman Going to Hawai`i on Own: Possible? Safe? Hints?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2007, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Talking Young Woman Going to Hawai`i on Own: Possible? Safe? Hints?

I am planning a 2 week holiday to Hawaii in September (one week in Waikiki and the second in Maui) and am looking to go on my own. I'm a young woman and wondered if anyone had been before who could perhaps give me some tips (hotels, locations, etc)? Also, let me know how safe it is and how easy it is to meet people? My impression of Hawaii is that it's more of a romantic honeymoon destination than somewhere for single travellers to go.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:15 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Welcome to FT Indie.

I'm going to send this over to our Hawaii forum, where I think you'll find lots of helpful advice (you'll still be able to get to the thread from here). I will say though that you should encounter no unusual problems as a single woman traveling in Hawaii and you should not have problems meeting people - it's far from all honeymooners. As with anywhere, just take the usual precautions and watch mostly for property crimes. I'm in Hawaii fairly often and spend much of my time on my own and always feel quite comfortable. What kind of people are you looking to meet? There are a great number of activities where it will be easy to meet people. Stick to what interests you. I take yoga at a studio on Maui and also belong to a vegetarian group there, so have met many people that way.

Do spend some time searching through the Hawaii forum too, as you should find many ideas on places to stay and get an idea of what island(s) you might like to go to.

l'etoile
women travelers moderator
Old Mar 18, 2007, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Indie
I am planning a 2 week holiday to Hawaii in September (one week in Waikiki and the second in Maui) and am looking to go on my own. I'm a young woman and wondered if anyone had been before who could perhaps give me some tips (hotels, locations, etc)? Also, let me know how safe it is and how easy it is to meet people? My impression of Hawaii is that it's more of a romantic honeymoon destination than somewhere for single travellers to go.
Welcome to Flyertalk! Just a note that I went ahead and made your thread title a little more informative so that you can grab the attention of more of the members around here.

Just a word that Hawai`i is generally a safe place to be, and that traveling here alone shouldn't be too much of a problem. Despite it being a "honeymoon" destination, you can always enjoy the beach on your own (and at your own time) as well as see the sights. It's a great place to just get away from everything and you have ample opportunities to be a part of the unique culture that makes up our islands.

As to more information on where to stay, you'll have to be a little more specific for us. What are your preferences? Do you have any idea of what you want to do here in the Islands?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:43 pm

Hawaii is just like any other place as far as safety is concerned. Overall the place is safe and nice people. Lots of beautiful place and good food.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 1:14 am

hawaii is safer overall than the mainland. honolulu is a city however, so use your city senses there. there are lots of single people, so you needn't worry in that way. have fun and welcome to flyertalk.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 2:24 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
Hawaii is quite safe. Just don't lose your head and forget to take the normal precautions you would at home or traveling. I would suggest finding a "buddy" to do some things like hiking, scuba diving, etc where common sense would dictate the buddy system.

It's not hard to meet people especially in Waikiki. Most people are super friendly and helpful.

If you rent a car or cross a street, be careful. It seems that people have been getting into accidents and running people over at record pace this year.

Have fun!

TF
Old Mar 19, 2007, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help!! I'm looking to stay in hotels (3* upwards), but they seem pretty expensive! Can you recommend any good deals?

I'm a qualified Scuba Diver, so I am looking to do some diving on Maui. I would also like to learn to surf on Maui, along with swimming with Dolphins.
On Oahu, I would like to go to Pearl Harbour, do some trekking and maybe a helicoptor tour. You've probably guessed, I like to keep busy!!

Is it easy to book activities when I arrive in Hawaii, or should I book prior to leaving the UK?
Old Mar 19, 2007, 12:11 pm

We prefer to stay in Wikiki, especially since it is in the middle of the town, and is well connected.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 2:02 pm

I just returned from 2 weeks in Hawaii and although I wasn't alone (we did a family trip - ages 26-37), I think you will be fine on your own. We felt quite safe wherever we went - we rented a car and just made sure to always keep our doors locked and we didn't leave valuables inside the car.
We rented private houses so I cannot comment on accomodations on Oahu but we did stay at the Maui Banyan (3* property) and it was an affordable condo complex and had a real mix of young, old, single, and families staying there. I do have to say that I found Maui to have more retired couples vs. Oahu - don't get me wrong - there were young people, but not the same kind of ratio as you will see in Waikiki/Oahu.
We took private surf lessons on the North Shore of Oahu and it was fabulous - I highly recommend it. I myself loved the north shore - a ton of young people, a lot of surfers and great shopping in some of the small surf stores. Only problem is that there aren't really any hotels to speak of (other than Turtle Bay which is a little pricey). There are a couple of B&B's you can try if that's your thing - you can find info on them on TripAdvisor.com
If you like to keep busy, I would recommend snorkeling at Haunama Bay (which is 15-20 minutes east of Waikiki - lots of tour packages available) or an ATV excursion - a little further from Waikiki but again you can get a package that includes transportation and we had a great time there. You don't need to book in advance - just call when you arrive.
For all your "Hawaii" shopping trinkets, shirts, necklaces, etc. there is a great set up every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday at the Aloha stadium. The prices there were in some cases half of what they charged in the gift shops in Waikiki. If you plan to buy anything to bring home, I would suggest going there first. The vendors set up in the parking lot all around the stadium and it's huge. It's only $1 to get in and it's out towards Pearl Harbour so you might even be able to get both of those things in on the same day. Enjoy!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 3:07 pm

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Hawaii is like most places. Use your street sense and don't avoid after dark but be sensible about where you go when the sun is down. In terms of safety (I'm a guy) there are not many places I've felt uncomfortable. When I was touring areas when I was 21 allwas good. You should be fine!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your help everyone! General concensus seems to be that Maui is more of a honeymoon/couples island. Would you suggest another island, perhaps Kauai? I was really looking to dive and surf during my second week. Is it possible to do this on Kauai?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:28 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Indie
Thanks for your help everyone! General concensus seems to be that Maui is more of a honeymoon/couples island. Would you suggest another island, perhaps Kauai? I was really looking to dive and surf during my second week. Is it possible to do this on Kauai?
I believe you'll find that Kaua`i is even more of a honeymoon/couples island than Maui.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:47 pm

[QUOTE=slippahs] Just a word that Hawai`i is generally a safe place to be, and that traveling here alone shouldn't be too much of a problem. Despite it being a "honeymoon" destination, you can always enjoy the beach on your own (and at your own time) as well as see the sights. It's a great place to just get away from everything and you have ample opportunities to be a part of the unique culture that makes up our islands. QUOTE]

I think that says it all--Hawaii IS a great place to get away and do things in your own time. Not the least of which is the beach.

As for the honeymoon part--nothing more charming than the 70-80 year old honeymoon couples!! It's lovely. Sort of Gidget and Moondoggie, the final chapter.

I love the times I have traveled alone, have never felt unsafe, and look forward to more! About the unique culture--nothing made me appreciate or understand it more than a planetarium show at the Bishop Museum. Really something to imagine yourself on a journey navigating by the stars.

In addition to the Polynesian tradition of hospitality I would add what I consider the most admirable of qualities--grace under pressure. Docents at Iolani Palace are wonderful, as are the guides at Mission House and Honolulu Academy of Arts. Hope some of these places are on your to-do list.

Often your first instincts are the best--Kauai is spectacular, and I hope you see it, but it seems like Maui is your first and best choice for some of the activities you like, and I think you will find Lahaina energetic.

Hope some diving and surfing enthusiasts will add some insight for you. I agree you would enjoy the North Shore of Oahu--funky/hip and lots of fun! And try to include a daytime walking tour of Chinatown. Lots of galleries and interesting shops and some of the most beautiful leis--so buy one and wear it!!

Enjoy your trip!! BTW--lots of places for afternoon tea, in case you miss a cuppa!!

Last edited by Orchids; Mar 20, 2007 at 2:06 pm
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:56 pm

Programs: HAW, UAL, JetBlue
Kauai's rep as a honeymoon/couples destination is nothing more than a marketing strategy. I have family and friends in the islands (but I'm from SMF) so here's my perspective from traveling with my parents and by myself -

Kauai is a really slow paced island. You won't find any nightlife here but you will find awesome opportunities to get outdoors: hiking, ATV'ing, snorkling, boat trips up the Napali coastline, golf. Just stay away from the helicopter

Oahu has a lot more variety to offer if this is your first trip to Hawaii.

I'd suggest staying as close as possible to the beach (I like the Ilikai). Its more expensive but you'll be safer venturing out at night (i.e. hitting Kalakaua Ave or Ala Moana Blvd). There are cheaper places a few blocks away from the ocean but I wouldn't recommend it.

Renting a car for the full stay is optional. Parking isn't cheap but most of the major car rental companies have offices in Waikiki so you can get one for a day or two to explore the other parts of the island.

Surfing lessons - www.hawaiianfire.com. Trust me on this one, if you've never surfed before, you'll have a blast with these guys. Off duty Honolulu firefighters teach you how to surf. Since they are the ones who usually perform the water rescues that the lifeguards can't handle, you couldn't ask for a safer environment. Just for the record: 1) no, I'm not on their payroll 2) yes, I've taken their class (twice) 3) don't mention that you have any relatives working for any fire dept on any Hawaiian island or they'll make fun of you when you perl

One thing you should consider getting is one of those water proof plastic cases on a lanyard (the case is about the size of a video ipod). If you're on the beach by yourself, you don't want to leave anything valuable on the sand. You can easily fit your driver's license, room card key and a $20 in it and take it with you into the water. Mine fits into the pocket of my board shorts.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:12 pm

[QUOTE=sabre_fencer One thing you should consider getting is one of those water proof plastic cases on a lanyard (the case is about the size of a video ipod). If you're on the beach by yourself, you don't want to leave anything valuable on the sand. You can easily fit your driver's license, room card key and a $20 in it and take it with you into the water. Mine fits into the pocket of my board shorts.[/QUOTE]

Really good advice! Also, if you can afford to stay near the beach, great, if not, take a cab back if you are ever unsure about walking. All the beachfront hotels have great valets who will gladly get you a cab.

If you can, spend some time at the beach in Kailua. Maybe arrange for some windsurfing lessons!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.