Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Restaurant Recommendations on Kaua`i" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: Sadly, due to COVID-19, many of the restaurants listed in this thread are no longer in business. Please check online to determine a restaurant's current status. We will retire this thread and start a new one once conditions stabilize.

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Restaurant Recommendations on Kaua`i" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Orchids
Sightseeing on Kauai involves a lot of driving and you do have to plan around meals to some extent. It would be very helpful to offer a few good places based on recent experience. I think many people arrive hungry and would appreciate a place for a quick bite. Also please keep in mind, a dining experience on vacation is never viewed from the same perspective of someone local. We're all inclined to make some allowances if the ambiance is great, or the service sincere. And if the food is good, or hot, well--bonus time!

'Self-catering' is a charming phrase for working vacation. Really no one wants to be on the hook for 21meals in 7 days, so eating out at some point just happens to be a necessity. And no matter where you stay, at some time or other you are elsewhere and hungry. Mentioning Costco will help out a lot of people on a first trip or if it's been several years. If all of this has been addressed on another thread, please re-direct. Thanks, jtkauai.
The quality of food here just wouldn't warrant an island-wide review. If you're hungry when driving around, just stop and eat. The quality will be more the same than different. There are things that stand out, that people really like, for example, Hamura's Saimin (discussed in previous Kauai restaurant threads). That's Lihue. Or if you have something specific in mind, please do ask.

Costco opened in October (not sure I understood your reference). Lots of regular visitors to Kauai don't yet know it is here, and we see tourists there buying food (and gas) all the time. So I thought it might be helpful to mention it again.

We're always traveling and how I'd view and rate restaurants isn't different whether they are here at home on Kauai or in New Delhi, Sydney, Beijing or Las Vegas. We do like to self-cater when traveling (while seeking and eating out at exceptional places where and when they can be found, and at other places in a pinch). We're very much looking forward to a favorite Pizza restaurant in Hobart (Tasmania) next weekend.

Last edited by jtkauai; Feb 25, 2007 at 12:34 pm
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:17 pm

Appreciate your thoughts.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:24 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Speaking of grabbing a bite whilst on the road, Mrs. kaukau and I always stop by Ono Charburger in Anahola for the best burgers in the state, in our humble opinion!
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by kaukau
Speaking of grabbing a bite whilst on the road, Mrs. kaukau and I always stop by Ono Charburger in Anahola for the best burgers in the state, in our humble opinion!
Hi kaukau,

We've never stopped there -- it just looks, well, uh, bad. But it is always busy. So we'll try it next time and report.

JT
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:46 pm

Smile

I do look forward to dining at Roy's. Love the creme Brulee.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jtkauai

Costco opened in October (not sure I understood your reference). Lots of regular visitors to Kauai don't yet know it is here, and we see tourists there buying food (and gas) all the time.
Yes, we left a note about that in the guestbook in our condo, as nobody had mentioned it. ^ Now I know why.

We also gassed up our rental car there the morning we returned it. It's within a couple of miles of the airport, isn't it?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:05 pm

Costco opened in October (not sure I understood your reference). Lots of regular visitors to Kauai don't yet know it is here, and we see tourists there buying food (and gas) all the time. So I thought it might be helpful to mention it again.

Thanks for mentioning Costco, it was helpful, and I'm sure a lot of other people will appreciate knowing about it, too!
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by tlhanger
I do look forward to dining at Roy's. Love the creme Brulee.
Roy's is my favorite. Everyone routinely complains that it's a chain and you can supposedly get the same food at any Roy's. Not true. Each Roy's executive chef is responsible for the menu. The butterfish at Roy's Poipu is the best seafood I have ever had anywhere. I have had it many times. Desserts are great. Excellent chocolate souffle, the best pineapple upside down cake ever (I know, sounds boring, but it isn't). I had lime panna cotta there once that was one of the more outstanding desserts I've had.

Keoki's Paradise has excellent steaks. If you want to go cheap and eat on the burger side, don't. Very disappointing.

I found Gaylord's mediocre and Gaylord's for breakfast is even more disappointing.

Many people love Casa di Amici for Italian at Poipu Beach. I think it's OK, but found the owner, who sometimes cooks, sometimes plays water boy to be super annoying.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 7:47 pm

Brick Oven Pizza

Hi! I'm new to this site (actually my first post...) but have visited Kauai every year for the past 10. A must at every visit is Brick Oven Pizza in Kalaheo (south side near Poipu). OUTSTANDING!!!!! They brush the crust with garlic butter. Yum!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by gogogo
Hi! I'm new to this site (actually my first post...) but have visited Kauai every year for the past 10. A must at every visit is Brick Oven Pizza in Kalaheo (south side near Poipu). OUTSTANDING!!!!! They brush the crust with garlic butter. Yum!
Well, for pizza, I would have to agree with you. It may just be the most expensive pizza you'll ever have too!

Fellow Flyertalker Mary2e says that Brick Oven sausage is the best she's had outside Brooklyn. (I think that's a compliment!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Well, for pizza, I would have to agree with you. It may just be the most expensive pizza you'll ever have too!

Fellow Flyertalker Mary2e says that Brick Oven sausage is the best she's had outside Brooklyn. (I think that's a compliment!
Brick oven, very near our home, is perennially popular. But I find it to be greasy, over-cheesed, and made using poor quality ingredients. It's also way overpriced for all that it isn't. The only pizza around here that is (decidedly) worse, is at Costco.

Next time we're headed for NY, I'm going to PM Mary2e and find out where to get real pizza.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:05 pm

Brick oven, very near our home, is perennially popular. But I find it to be greasy, over-cheesed, and made using poor quality ingredients. It's also way overpriced for all that it isn't. The only pizza around here that is (decidedly) worse, is at Costco.

Next time we're headed for NY, I'm going to PM Mary2e and find out where to get real pizza.
well, if you don't like Brick Oven, you might not like her recommendation. I also like Pizzeta in Koloa Village.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:05 pm

Programs: United Platinum
A Pacific Cafe went BK about two years ago. Keokis is like coffee shop fare in the Poipu shopping center. Fair. Roy's is barely okay. ....
I'm bummed to hear about Pacific Cafe, we haven't been back in a few years but used to love it. Roy's in Poipu also used to be very good, much better than the other locations I've tried (San Francisco, Carmel, and Tokyo), sorry to hear they've gone downhill.

If the OP likes wine, I'd definitely suggest bringing your own if you go the cooking route. Admittedly, we're wine snobs, but the selection available for purchase on the island was not great.
Bob
Old Feb 28, 2007, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
A big thank you to all of you for taking the time to write all those excellent suggestions and ideas. I look forward to try them on this trip.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere

This born & bred NYC Italian is going to have to disagree. I found the pizza outstanding. The ingredients were fresh fresh fresh. The salad tasted like it was just picked. As ILuvParis said, the sausage was homemade.

It's expensive for pizza, but we didn't mind paying it because it's that good.

As for your next trip to NYC, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction so you can get some real pizza. I may even take you there myself

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.