Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Road to Hana" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Another thing to add here is to consider a chauffeured tour to Hana. We've driven to and fro Hana many times but the last couple were via this company's 12 pax vans with captain's chairs, beverages, BBQ lunch, etc.

Makes the trip much more enjoyable when you don't have to keep your eyes trained on the rubberneckers driving in front of you.....or at you.

I'd suggest making the drive personally once just to say you did it and then leave the driving to a native for future visits.

And I'd also suggest springing for the extra $$'s on one of these smaller, more comfortable tours over the Robert's Hawaii tourist megabus-type tours.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:11 pm

Programs: Delta, WP, AA, Southwest, HHonors, Starwood
The treehouse sounds great.

talking about this lady's house that's built in a tree so she calls it a treehouse ( http://www.hanatreehouse.com/ ). Her place is a bit more "upscale" and even has a japanese furo soaking tub! But, she only charges a little more than the first guy.

I was hoping to spend at least one overnight at Hana and this sounds interesting. I am going in just a few weeks and I don't have anything done beyond the flights. I may have to just do the copycat thing whenever I see anybody else's plans that look good!
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:12 pm

Can you still make the stops?

Originally Posted by Cholula
Another thing to add here is to consider a chauffeured tour to Hana. We've driven to and fro Hana many times but the last couple were via this company's 12 pax vans with captain's chairs, beverages, BBQ lunch, etc.

Makes the trip much more enjoyable when you don't have to keep your eyes trained on the rubberneckers driving in front of you.....or at you.

I'd suggest making the drive personally once just to say you did it and then leave the driving to a native for future visits.

And I'd also suggest springing for the extra $$'s on one of these smaller, more comfortable tours over the Robert's Hawaii tourist megabus-type tours.
Do you have the opportunity to make stops along the way though?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by dnsallday
Do you have the opportunity to make stops along the way though?
They stop at least a dozen times on the trip. Usually at scheduled places where there is something noteworthy to see.
But it all depends on your driver. We made friends with our driver within 10 minutes of leaving Lahaina (we booked all 12 seats in the coach) and convinced him that a stop at a liquor store in Paia was mandatory for our mental health.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:15 am

Thanks Cholula. I will consider this if I ever actually get around to putting some kind of a plan in place.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by lance6
Lots of the locals drive fast on the backside, so watch for that.
Ain't that the truth. Even my wife, a semi-local (she grew up in Paia), thinks they drive too fast!
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Mander -

Yeah, even when I lived there I slowed down. I guess when you have a big truck, it makes it easy.

I had a Subaru station wagon and I babied my way across the backside, no matter the time of day.

---

The chauffeured trip is a good plan; however all of the short buses we saw didn't let you out. They'd drive by a cool waterfall / bridge and just drive on by. I guess the road is too narrow, which is good. Even at some of the beaches, if they stopped, it was quite a short stop.

Tough it out, start early, and drive yourself. My passengers took Bonine and they were fine.

Last edited by lance6; Aug 25, 2006 at 12:22 pm Reason: addition
Old Aug 25, 2006, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by mander
Ain't that the truth. Even my wife, a semi-local (she grew up in Paia), thinks they drive too fast!
Reminds me of the ubiquitous bumber sticker on the islands: "Slow down! This ain't the mainland!"
Old Aug 25, 2006, 3:25 pm

The chauffeured trip is a good plan; however all of the short buses we saw didn't let you out. They'd drive by a cool waterfall / bridge and just drive on by. I guess the road is too narrow, which is good. Even at some of the beaches, if they stopped, it was quite a short stop.
That's one of the reasons we didn't take a mini-bus. Ours was a type of van that had a dozen captains chairs. Here's a link showing the vehicle.
We stopped often and got out of the van at many locations to take pictures, etc.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 4:42 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dhuey
Reminds me of the ubiquitous bumber sticker on the islands: "Slow down! This ain't the mainland!"
And please don't honk your horn. We don't do that here except for true emergencies.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Cholula -

Glad to hear you had a great time. I was always a little concerned that the tour co's weren't letting people get out, smell the air, and feel the sand.

---

I actually like the drive to Hana. When I lived there it was the easiest way "to get away" without spending too much money. To truly leave the island requires a boat or flight, but a short day trip or car-camping trip always made my day. Made me feel like I was removed from my day to day life.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:14 pm

Cholula -

Glad to hear you had a great time. I was always a little concerned that the tour co's weren't letting people get out, smell the air, and feel the sand.

---

I actually like the drive to Hana. When I lived there it was the easiest way "to get away" without spending too much money. To truly leave the island requires a boat or flight, but a short day trip or car-camping trip always made my day. Made me feel like I was removed from my day to day life.

My thoughts on driving to Hana are that everybody should do it once. There's a certain sense of accomplishment once you've completed the drive.
But after that, leave the driving to someone else and just enjoy the scenery IMO.
We've been to Hana many times and always see something different on each trip. But now we actually SEE stuff as opposed to when we were driving it and had to watch for the other yahoos.
And one other thing about driving to Hana...it's "fun" to drive to Hana but a drag driving back from Hana. Especially if you have to drive back the same way you came.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 5:45 am
Suspended

Hana Highway - Tour

I am very tempted to drive, but I have never driven on the right side of the road before and I dont think the infamous Hana Highway is the appropriate place to start.

Is there a good tour company I could use ? I am not looking for ultra luxury but one with comfortable vehicle and reliable service.

Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2006, 6:11 am

The road is so narrow in so many places, it doesn't matter what you're used to!
Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:56 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
www.ekahi.com offers van tours to Hana for those who prefer not to drive. $105.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.