Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lounge options at HNL. Best, worst, suggestions, questions" thread

Consolidated "Lounge options at HNL. Best, worst, suggestions, questions" thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life
The Kona Brewing Company restaurant is decent, and if you're a carnivore then the prime rib plate from Lahaina Chicken is probably one of the best airport food deals ever.
Thanks. Just "googled it" and I see others share your opinion. Seems like THE place to grab a bite to eat at HNL.

In the meantime, does anyone know if, in fact, the apparently pitiful IASS lounge is the only lounge choice left for AMEX plats flying Hawaiian?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
I just spent an hour this week in HNL. I could have used the IASS lounge, but the Kona Brewing Company was right there as you exit security, and was comfortable enough for the hour we spent there.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having now returned, I can give a lounge/food update for HNL.

The IASS Lounge is, indeed, the only current lounge available for AMEX Plats. It's pretty poor: only perk is free (seemingly unlimited) soft drinks. It is located in the "historic" garden lounge triangle: once you grab your free soft drink, you're probably better off sitting outside in the garden!

We realized that we had AA Admirals Club access because of our Citi Executive AA card (since I never buy airline lounge memberships, I always forget this -- I'm used to only getting lounge access due to class of service or ff status!). AA shares its lounge with JAL, so it's a little better than a typical Admirals Club -- and way better than the IASS lounge. Still, it's not great; free Budweiser beer, some soup, some bad sushi, and some mediocre cookies. But a decent, air-conditioned space to relax in (AC didn't seem to work very well in the IASS lounge). If you're travelling with your kids or haven't travelled extensively in Japan, you also may be amused by the crazy Japanese toilets with 8 zillion options (no actual lounge membership needed, because they're in the hallway outside the club).

Following the above recommendation, we did stop once at Lahaina Chicken (pretty close to the lounges) and split a prime rib plate. Wow -- that's good value, tasty airport food. $13 for prime rib and 3 sides. Quite cheap for Hawaii, even off-airport. Perfect if you're on a long food-less flight to the mainland.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Thx for the update, iahphx. I'm guessing you flew Y on HA, hence no access to their lounge?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by italdesign
Thx for the update, iahphx. I'm guessing you flew Y on HA, hence no access to their lounge?
Indeed.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:58 pm

From reading this thread and others, the consensus seems to be:

UA =~ JL/AA =~ QF > DL > HA >= IASS.

With none of them particularly great.

Do I have it right?

I am flying to SYD on HA. How far would that be from the various lounges?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not very far -- I'd guess a 5 minute walk. The only area that's far" from the lounges are the inter-island flights, and that's still less than 10 minutes by foot.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

Well, it depends on whether you want to use the lounge in SYD or HNL.

Seriously, if you are using HA, you will be checking in at the Interisland Terminal (2nd floor). Right after you go through TSA, you turn right, find the escalator which is after the ATM machines, and ride it up to the lounge. At most, 1 min. after passing through TSA.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
HA HNL lounge

I have found the 2nd floor HA lounge to be a lot less crowded then the Kau 1st floor one. No bar and self service soft drinks.

Ok the first floor lounge was apparently temporary. Guess that's why it was so crowded.

Last edited by hawkxp; Dec 14, 2014 at 5:54 pm Reason: oops
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Well, it depends on whether you want to use the lounge in SYD or HNL.
Both! Am inquiring about HNL though.

Seriously, if you are using HA, you will be checking in at the Interisland Terminal (2nd floor). Right after you go through TSA, you turn right, find the escalator which is after the ATM machines, and ride it up to the lounge. At most, 1 min. after passing through TSA.
Is that for the HA lounge, or all lounges? I intend to use JAL, UA, QF, or DL before HA
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:19 pm

Both! Am inquiring about HNL though.

Is that for the HA lounge, or all lounges? I intend to use JAL, UA, QF, or DL before HA
HA only. UA is a long way away. Not too sure about the other ones, which I have never used.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by hawkxp
I have found the 2nd floor HA lounge to be a lot less crowded then the Kau 1st floor one. No bar and self service soft drinks.

Ok the first floor lounge was apparently temporary. Guess that's why it was so crowded.
The first floor lounge was not temporary. It was crowded because it was the most convenient for inter-island flyers. It is under renovation.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:46 pm

IASS Lounge - Updated?

Has anyone visited the IASS Lounge recently? Photos on the Priority Pass website appear to show a nicer looking lounge, at least compared to some older pictures found on the web:

http://www.prioritypass.com/lounges/lounge-details.cfm#

Did they manage to just make the lounge look nicer in the new photos, or has the lounge actually been updated? Am trying to decide whether a credit card that includes lounge access via Priority Pass (including access to the IASS lounge in HNL) is worth the annual fee.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.