Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Molokai - Where to stay, what to do, where to eat, activities" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Molokai - Where to stay, what to do, where to eat, activities" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Thanks all! I think I may have found the perfect beach cottage-- just can't quite decide if the owner is too much of a clean freak for us (a prohibition against shoes in the house is written into the contract, I have a painful foot problem that keeps in supportive shoes almost all of the time. Frankly, the time I can tolerate barefoot, I want to spend on the sand).

Looks like a rental car on Molokai will be pricy!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 6:01 am

Molokai?

What's the latest on the water situation on Molokai? And is Papohaku beach/ocean really unswimmable? I have a friend who's considering real estate there & haven't been for almost 10 years so not sure what to tell him.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
The perfect reason to go visit! You have good friends [s].
Old Mar 26, 2010, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by nyc325
What's the latest on the water situation on Molokai? And is Papohaku beach/ocean really unswimmable? I have a friend who's considering real estate there & haven't been for almost 10 years so not sure what to tell him.
I just spent a week on the west end of Molokai (March 2-9). I'm not sure what is meant by the "water situation," but the west end is in extreme drought per www.drought.gov

Papohaku really is unswimmable. It's gorgeous, but the waves crash very close to shore, and there is quite an undertow, especially in winter. The only west end beach that's really swimmable is Dixie Maru Beach at the southern end, but it is kind of small. At the northern end of western Molokai, Kepuhi Beach (where the condos are) has some surfers most every day.

riftime
Old Aug 27, 2011, 1:40 pm

Where to stay on Molokai?

Hey FTers.
I'm a medical student going to Molokai for a month this Jan to work in the local clinic. I'm looking to rent an apartment/condo/tiny house etc... for the month on a budget of 1500-2000 dollars for accommodations. I've gone on VRBO and google to try to find, but the nice units seem to all be taken, or the other ones that are available are not really what I'm looking for. I'm interested in staying in a place that's really clean and perhaps in one of the more lush locations, even if it means more rain. I will also be renting a car so I don't mind being a half hour away from town. Anybody have any suggestions?
Mahalo!
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Maybe papahaku <sp
Side by the huge beach
You can see Hawaii Kai from that end
I'll look and see if some friends condo is available for a month rental
The condo from outside is average
Inside superb !
High end designer unit
Partial view of Papahaku beach side
Old Aug 28, 2011, 5:39 am

Thanks!!
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Sounds like a really interesting assignment. I hope you'll keep us posted on it. Molokai presents a fascinating case of culture clashes.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:57 pm

try asking person at clinic who you will be working with for suggestions
Old Aug 28, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: Marriot Plat Prem, Hyatt Diamond, AA EP
Originally Posted by dhuey
Sounds like a really interesting assignment. I hope you'll keep us posted on it. Molokai presents a fascinating case of culture clashes.
^
Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
try asking person at clinic who you will be working with for suggestions
This is the best advice yet. Some of the better, cheaper places you won't find advertised. Only the locals would know. I found 7 out of mine 9 apartments in Hawaii this way.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 9:47 pm

Thanks for the advice! I definitely intend on finding out from my supervisors any info about apartment/condos etc... but I wanted to see if anybody has a particular place to recommend as a starting point. Anybody have any places in mind?
Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:29 pm

Iwa cabin Molokai

Hello all,
Has anybody every stayed at the Iwa cabin on Molokai that could possibly share their experience? It looks amazing but unfortunately their is only one review that I was able to find online. Here is their website:

http://www.molokailuxurycondo.com/molokai-iwa/index.php
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:07 am

Has anybody even heard of it?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA,AA,DL,
Not sure if you've ever been to Molokai but be advised that the west end of the island is the dry end. Don't know this property in particular but there are several very nice looking properties on the west end. This area was all laid out with roads for developement but it never materialized for some reason. Landscaping is very important on this end as the natural vegetation is pretty scrubby. East end is the lush tropical end. Also you are about 30-45 minutes from town where you'll have to go for just about anything that you need. You are close to the longest beach in Hawaii. This beach is beautiful and it's likely that you'll have it all to yourself. I've only been there in the winter and it's been too rough to go into the water. If you are looking for solitude you will probably love it. But that goes for the whole island of Molokai.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.