The Consolidated "Moving to Hawaii?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Moving to Hawaii?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
cblaisd, what a downer finding faults with the islands. Thank God you didn't mention the earthquakes, lava flows, tsunamis, vog and certainly not the hurricane bearing down on us!. OOPS, I think I just did! :-)

Well, yes Kaiser will send you to Oahu for a colonoscopy, but you get frequent flier miles for that flight.

I have passed gangs of kids exiting school, usually one of them strumming on a Ukelele.

Also they have us trained pretty good. When an ambulance comes near, we all pull over and let it pass, whether the siren is going or not. Where else does THAT happen?

Oh well, I think the last thing we need is more residents.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Lavarock7
cblaisd, what a downer finding faults with the islands. Thank God you didn't mention the earthquakes, lava flows, tsunamis, vog and certainly not the hurricane bearing down on us!. OOPS, I think I just did! :-)

Or tropical storms. (Ask the Iniki survivors on Kauai what that was like. Or the old timer survivors of the Hilo or Hanalei tsunamis) Though is that any worse than tornadoes, superstorms, nor-easters, etc that they have anywhere else? Maybe, I don't know.

The mattress thing is so true though if Costco doesn't have your size or it's the time of the year when they don't have mattresses. (though now that they expanded the one on Maui, I think they might have them year round.) That one made me laugh.

If you are capable of living the Lavarock lifestyle, you'll be very happy, just like Roseanne with her nut farm over there I suppose.

Some of us are able to work from anywhere, so why not work from home on Kauai or Maui if you can get away with it?

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 29, 2013 at 2:50 am
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:24 am

Planning Upcoming trip to Maui and Hilo

I've made a trip to Hawaii every year for the last three years trying to convince myself to move there to live out the rest of my life.

For my upcoming trip I hope to spend 5 days in Maui and (5) days in Hilo to search for (and hopefully look at) apartments, condos, houses to lease or to buy.
1. Any advice on best fares from SJC or SFO August & September, I'm flexible with dates & length of stay.
2. Any advice on shipping costs (household goods, automobile.)
3. Any and all other tips.

Your feedback is appreciated.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Although you mentioned Hilo, I think the "Moving" forum at KonaWeb.com may be able to help.

When I moved to Captain Cook (Kona side) I did not ship any furniture, so all my boxes were shipped USPS.

Most families will need a container or part of one. You may be able to advertise and find someone else moving here who would share part of a container with you, thus cutting costs.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jiggs2013
I've made a trip to Hawaii every year for the last three years trying to convince myself to move there to live out the rest of my life.

For my upcoming trip I hope to spend 5 days in Maui and (5) days in Hilo to search for (and hopefully look at) apartments, condos, houses to lease or to buy.
1. Any advice on best fares from SJC or SFO August & September, I'm flexible with dates & length of stay.
2. Any advice on shipping costs (household goods, automobile.)
3. Any and all other tips.

Your feedback is appreciated.
If your still looking for the info:

1. We found Hawaiian Air has a lot of deals out of the Bay Area. Consider a Hawaiian Visa card. They FF plan is pretty friendly.

2. Matson for shipping of goods & vehicles. Very easy to work with. They sail from Oakland. When we moved to Maui 2012, it was apx. $1,100 per vehicle. Our 20' shipping container was around 3-4 grand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.