Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Christmas/Christmas Eve Dinner in Honolulu" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Consolidated "Christmas/Christmas Eve Dinner in Honolulu" thread

Dear FT experts,

My best friend and I will be spending our Christmas at Honolulu and we are wondering where we should go for Christmas Eve dinner. I am thinking about one of the Alan Wong's restaurants, but any recommendation will be great. We are not sure if we will rent a car, but any suggestion will be excellent. We are staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village...

Thanks,
Carfield
Old Nov 4, 2004, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA,UA,NW,CO,AQ,HA
RE: Christmas in Waikiki

If you are staying at the Hilton, they will have a very special dinner for that evening themselves. Also, depending on how long you will be staying in Waikiki, a car is usually necessary. A taxi or van to the hotel from the airport will cost as much as a rental car for 3 days! If you have a car, then it depends on your pocketbook as to where the special Christmas Eve dinners will be offered. My favorite is John Dominis.....out on the jetty. Alan Wong is good too, but it really is necessary to call the restaurants about 7 to 10 days before, just to secure reservations. I would surmise that most of the good restaurants will offer the evening dinners, either by buffet, or A La Carte, WITH reservations. To really have a blowout dinner, try the Hale Kulani....but expect to pay $100+/dinner! Hope this gives you some ideas, but another good point is if you already have your reservations at the Hilton (I hope so!), call up the Hotel Consierge, and ask for their advice!
Old Nov 4, 2004, 6:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
If you are not going to rent a car, pick either the Halekulani Hotel, Prince Hotel or Padovani's in the Doubletree hotel. They are all within walking distance.

The Halekulani Hotel has the House without a Key, Orchids and La Mer restaurants (listed in increasing prices). Orchids usually has a buffet as well as menu dinner although on Christmas Eve, they may only have buffet. Great food, but on the pricier side. La Mer is the cream of the crop and expect to pay for it.

The Prince Hotel usually has a Christmas Eve buffet which we've enjoyed several times. It's got an extensive selection of local and mainland items (sushi, salads, meats, seafood, soups, starches, etc). The dessert area is great too. I love the bread pudding and creme carmel. I think the last time we went it was about $42 per person not including alcohol.

Padovani's is a small restaurant with french inspired cooking. How can a place that makes its own chocolates and bakes its own bread go wrong? This place prides itself on its wine cellar too.

My advice is to book early. Many local families go to restaurants for Christmas eve. My family has already booked our Christmas eve dinner reservations!

TF
Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
TF, I agree with you that the Price has a great buffet. Been there on Christmas Day many times in the past. For a GREAT view of Waikiki and greater Honolulu, maybe try the Hanohano Room at the Sheraton Waikiki as well. Very pricey, but great food and views once again.

Perhaps a nice evening, candlelight picnic on the beach fronting the HHV might be in order as well? We've done this several times as well, but the crowd doesn't die down till 9, 10 p.m. It's a very nice place to spend a very romantic evening IMHO.

aloha
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:13 am

Christmas dinner on Waikiki Beach

Our family of 4 with college aged students want a nice Christmas Buffet dinner, preferably with a beach view. We were given two suggestions, the Moana Surfrider and the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. It looks like they are both Sheratons. Does anyone recommend one over the other and why? Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Did you check into the Sheraton Waikiki? The Hanohano Room on the top floor has sweeping views of all of Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head and they do a super buffet brunch - although I am not sure what they have planned for Christmas Day - and it might already be sold out. I strongly suggest giving them a call, as that would be my first choice...head and shoulders (literally) above everything else on the beach.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 4:53 pm

Programs: Delta
Christmas Day meal recommendations on Waikiki?

My in-laws will be in Waikiki during Christmas and we'd like to buy them a nice dinner for Christmas Day as a gift. They enjoy luau type shows or Hawaiian music. Just the two of them, in their early 70s, staying at the Ilikai. Any recommendations for good food, pleasant entertainment, and nice Hawaiian Christmas atmosphere? Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:18 am

Hmm, no ideas? I don't mean to beg, but I'm at Waikiki now for a couple of days and hope to buy a Christmas Day dinner for my in-laws. Any opinions about the Hilton? Since they're going to be staying at Ilikai, the Hilton would be close. Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:37 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
The Hanohano Room!

Check out the view of Diamond Head as you ascend up the glass elevator to the 30th floor and the Hanohano Room atop the Sheraton Waikiki Beach Resort. Between the Halekulani and the Royal Hawai'ian hotels. The Hanohano Room may suit your needs. The views are fabulous. They have a Christmas Day menu. Aloha!

Last edited by kaukau; Nov 21, 2006 at 12:45 pm
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Well, since you don't have any replies, I'll take a stab at it...

La Mer at the Halekulani has tables that overlook their Hawaiian show. I'd imagine the hotel is very festive at Christmas & not that far from the Hiton. Talk to the reservations manager there & make sure there is a show on at the time you make their reservations.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:37 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by nishimark
Any opinions about the Hilton?
We dined at the HHV as a party of 8, ordering two "Beggar's Chicken", (call in advance), at Golden Dragon. Rainbow Tower, mezzanine level. The service is simply smashing, as the waiter has a member of your party whack the clay that the bird has been baked in with a mallet. Quite the festive feast! (The Mongolian Lamb is also yummy, btw). Aloha!

Last edited by kaukau; Nov 21, 2006 at 12:57 pm
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:57 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Gotta trust restaurant advice from someone with the screen name of kaukau.

A meal at the Golden Dragon is wasted without the Lobster Curry with Deep Fried Haupia. ^
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by kaukau
Check out the view of Diamond Head as you ascend up the glass elevator to the 30th floor and the Hanohano Room atop the Sheraton Waikiki Beach Resort. Between the Halekulani and the Royal Hawai'ian hotels. The Hanohano Room may suit your needs. The views are fabulous. They have a Christmas Day menu. Aloha!
The Hanohano Room atop the Sheraton Waikiki is an excellent choice. Been there myself a few times for the Christmas brunch... very good.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 2:26 pm

Thank you! We'll check these out today.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'll third the recommendation on the Hanohano Room. I had their Christmas Brunch there one year, but I didn't try the dinner. The view is amazing at any hour, but especially sunset as Waikiki and Diamond Head are bathed in the red and orange glow of the setting sun. Advanced reservations for the dinner are probably required.

The view is a show unto itself.

They used to do the daily breakfast buffet up in the "Room", but I think the SW discontinued it some time ago in favor of cramming everyone into the restaurant on the main floor. The Hano breakfast buffet was great and included tasty Japanese options.

For a few years, my morning routine when staying at the SW required a very brisk walk along Kalakaua Ave to Diamond Head and back to undo the damage from breakfast.

So here is the "skinny": the Hanohano Room has a sit down dinner (no buffet), which comes at a very unskinny price.

The following waterview/waterfront dining options are available at the Sheraton Waikiki:

Hanohano Room Christmas Dinner (Eve. and Day.): http://www.sheraton-waikiki.com/de_hhxmas.htm

Ocean Terrace Brunch Buffet
http://www.sheratonwaikiki.com/otxmasdaybrunch.htm

The Moana Surfrider has more dining options available at their Banyan Veranda restaurant, which has a nice water view. There is a Christmas Eve brunch and dinner, and a Christmas Day brunch and dinner. Each of these dining events has a different menu and pricepoint.

Both hotels offer evening musical entertainment that while not 'traditional', is certainly entertaining and a nice accompanyment to dinner or while enjoying a post dinner drink by the water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.