Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Piilani Highway - Alternative route to Hana?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2004, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

After alot of discussions about driving Saddle Rd on the Big Island, I would like to solicit opinions on driving the Piilani Hwy around Haleakala on Maui as an alternative route to Hana and some of the scenic spots (and Oheo) that are past Hana.

We did "the road to Hana" last year, and this year I am looking for a different way to get to the sights past Hana, as well as an opportunity to view some places that are abit less traveled.

I read constrasting reviews in two guidebooks - one said never drive past the paved/gravel cutoff of the hwy near Haleakala park, the other book said don't be intimidated by it and just drive carefully.

So...any advise or feedback from those in-the-know would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 3:51 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
There is another fairly recent thread here somewhere about this stretch of highway. It's a very easy drive - much smoother, less curvy and safer than the Hana Highway, IMO. It also cuts a considerable amount of time off of your drive. If you're approaching it from Oheo Gulch, the ranger station there does have a board up telling you current conditions. If there has been recent heavy rains, I believe it can make the very first part (which is well-graded gravel) difficult for 2WDs, but I did it earlier this year in a 2WD about four days after heavy rains and it was quite easy and pleasant. If you're approaching from the other direction and you have any question, you could give the folks at the ranger station a call first.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 4:00 pm

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
Last time I was on Maui, after visiting the Seven Pools at Ohe'o, one carload turned around and went back through Hana, and I continued on around the South shore. The road wasn't bad at all - just watch out for the culverts / cattle grates and slow down when approaching them. I beat the other car back to Kihei by a good 45 minutes, and only passed a few other cars the whole way. Definitely the way to go if you're not interested in the sites along the "Road to Hana" in my opinion.

Last edited by bikenski; Sep 28, 2004 at 4:06 pm
Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:22 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Same here. The road was no problem at all for a 2WD. It provides a mostly arid, stark contrast to the tropical north route.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thanks everyone for your advise. Much appreciated. Now I am hoping I get one of those cute PT Cruiser convertibles to do the drive with
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I've driven the Hana Highway a number of times and the rental car "warning" about taking the shortcut back from Hana has prevented me from taking this route.
Last month we were over in Maui with two other couples and decided to hire a driver for the Hana trip. He had planned to take the shortcut back to Lahaina but the day we did the trip tha Hana area had over 8 1/2 inches of rain due to a tropical storm. The local police closed the gravel road due to mudslides so I guess we'll have to wait for another time to experience this.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:51 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

The easiest route is via air on a little airplane. You see the sights and beat the traffic. It's a great trip. Years ago, Royal Hawaiian Air flew from Hana to Ogg and beyond...the route was always at the pilot's discretion. We had some great rides.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:24 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
bumping this thread.

Any recent reviews of driving the back road Piilani Highway to/from Hana?

Is there a preferred direction (clockwise, counter) ?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: HH Silver
I drove it in May with no problems in a Mustang. I thought that part of the drive was the prettiest compared to the road to Hana.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I drove the Piilani Highway from upcountry Maui almost to Oheo Gulch in late January 2917. The paved portion of the drive is magnificent. I enjoyed a completely different perspective on Haleakala and Maui driving that way. The Piilani Highway goes through dry countryside with no waterfalls. The views are magnificent. The main highway to Hana is completely different as the countryside is incredibly lush with innumerable waterfalls.
But do keep in mind that both drives are very tiring. I was on my own for both drives. ( I did them separately on different days) Having a driving partner would have made a huge difference. Doing them as one drive together would be a little easier than what i did.
Also, the gravel portion of the drive is very, very tough driving. I had many close calls with other vehicles, including one difficult encounter with a tour bus going the other way where I had to back up quite a ways until we could pass each other.
If I were to do it all again, my first choice would be to break up the drives with an overnight stop in Hana, as there is so much to see on both drives. My second choice would be doing the main Hana Highway and the Piilani Highway together in the same day. As for which direction to go (clockwise or counter) I have no opinion.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Most recently done this drive a year ago and am going again, personally find it much more beautiful then the road to Hana (I think its overrated). The parts where you have to honk all the way around the corner so the car on the other side knows you're coming is no fun and rather nerve wrecking, but the sheer windswept beauty of the landscape and the views are well worth it. It also lets you access the Kipahulu entrance to Haleakala National Park most people seem to miss(?)

After going on the road to Hana a few times, I only go by Piilani Highway to Kipahulu and come back the same way... Or counterclockwise is also nice, as the drive is so long if you do it in one day most of the way back it would get dark so you need to prioritize

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.