Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Shower at/near HNL? [Shower Tree now closed]" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:05 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by chx1975
This is quite a crappy situation, given Honolulu is so far from everything surely everyone arrives exhausted and wants a shower if transfers there. What a gigantic mess. I was shocked not to find one in Charlotte but then again there are very, very few European flights going there. But HNL? You can't even get there without flying five hours at least.
Yep. The Shower Tree was within walking distance and perfectly fit the situation. But, it's been gone for a few years. Actually, going in to Waikiki and walking around, getting something to eat, is a nice diversion between flights. Something I've done several times going from Japan to mainland US.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:13 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nishimark
By taxi maybe 30-40 minutes, but more expensive (~$25.00 one way?).
More like $35, at least, from the airport.

There are basically three choices near HNL for a shower, but it will be an expensive one:

The Best Western
The Airport O`hana
Pacific Marina Inn :shudder:

If one's arriving flight is early enough in the day, it can't hurt to call and see if they have a day rate that would be cheaper than the usual $125-150/night.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by cblaisd
More like $35, at least, from the airport.
Probably closer to $45-50 each way. Makes spending $125 for an airport hotel a reasonable alternative.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Probably closer to $45-50 each way. Makes spending $125 for an airport hotel a reasonable alternative.
Star Taxi is $30.00 guaranteed to center of Waikiki. I've used them before and would use them again.

http://www.startaxihawaii.com
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I spend $35 to Punahou. Waikiki must be about the same. $45-$50 to Waikiki would mean someone's getting the scenic route
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:25 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I spend $35 to Punahou. Waikiki must be about the same. $45-$50 to Waikiki would mean someone's getting the scenic route
Not necessarily, it hugely depends on the time of day and whether there are any accidents. $45 is NOT unusual at busy times, particularly if there is an accident.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:45 pm

Has anyone actually taken a shower on the beach during a layover?

The question is occasionally asked about where to get a shower when on a long layover at HNL. I've got a 12-hour layover coming up, connecting from Japan to mainland US. I plan to rent a car for the day and drive around the island, which I've done before. But this time I'd like to get a shower in, including a bit of soap and shampoo (of course in a bathing suit if at the beach).

Has anyone here actually done this? If so, do you have a park you recommend? I'm a bit concerned about leaving my stuff unattended in the car while parked at a beach.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:33 pm

The question is occasionally asked about where to get a shower when on a long layover at HNL. I've got a 12-hour layover coming up, connecting from Japan to mainland US. I plan to rent a car for the day and drive around the island, which I've done before. But this time I'd like to get a shower in, including a bit of soap and shampoo (of course in a bathing suit if at the beach).

Has anyone here actually done this? If so, do you have a park you recommend? I'm a bit concerned about leaving my stuff unattended in the car while parked at a beach.
Actually, I see that I asked this question a couple of years ago on this thread and one answer was the Ala Moana public beach. Any other ideas outside of Waikiki area?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:28 am

Actually, I see that I asked this question a couple of years ago on this thread and one answer was the Ala Moana public beach. Any other ideas outside of Waikiki area?
Ala Moana Beach Park is a good idea. There are showers on the beach in public view. It is a safe site, and as long as your stuff is in the trunk and out of view, you can rest at ease. The homeless don't frequent that park during the day, at least not the tourist-populated parts.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
if you literally just want a shower, Keehi Lagoon Park is right next to HNL...
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by msp3
if you literally just want a shower, Keehi Lagoon Park is right next to HNL...
But, if you want a shower area that is not frequented by the homeless, pass on Keehi...
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by 747FC
But, if you want a shower area that is not frequented by the homeless, pass on Keehi...
>implying public showers at Sand Island, Kakaako Waterfront, Ala Moana, and Waikiki aren't frequented by the homeless
Actually now that I think about it, I've never seen the homeless taking showers anywhere except the occasional Micronesian at Kakaako Waterfront Park
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
>implying public showers at Sand Island, Kakaako Waterfront, Ala Moana, and Waikiki aren't frequented by the homeless
Actually now that I think about it, I've never seen the homeless taking showers anywhere except the occasional Micronesian at Kakaako Waterfront Park
The homeless using the showers is not the issue of concern, it is the fact that those parks (Sand Island, Keehi, Kakaako) are frequented by vagrants in such large numbers relative to non-vagrants, that I would not recommend visitors use of any facilities there due to concerns related to theft, auto break-ins, and assaults.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Reviving this one, as the title claims "consolidated"

What is the state of showering in or near HNL?

We are arriving on Hawaiian Airlines from KOA in the morning at about 09:00, intending to go around Honolulu a little until our AA red-eye departing around 23:00. With a night and day of flying after that to get back to the UK, a shower in the evening would be delightful. Otherwise, our personal space will become increasingly more exclusive as our journey continues, until we are quite undisturbed

Does anyone have suggestions of where to get a shower in or near HNL airport?
I feel like there are no facilities open in the evening in the airport itself; do any nearby hotels have the sort of gym where one can pay for day use of the facilities (and so the showers)?

Alternatively, nearer central Honolulu, are there any handy gyms or similar with cheap day passes or similar ideas?

Of course, passing a hotel concierge a twenty to be nodded into the hotel gym is also an option, if I found out about a hotel where that would work.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I've actually paid for the day/night at a hotel so I would have somewhere to go and relax, as well as shower. That's a pretty long day.

You could contact a hotel directly and ask if they have day rates as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.