Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hotel/lodging on Kauai - Questions/Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I'm not going to add much more substance to what's been already mentioned above, but congratulations!! ^
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Thank you for the replies.

"Great Hotels" will feature the Princeville Hotel on Tuesday, October 11, at 11:30 a.m. ET (8:30 PT).
I'll make sure to catch it.

are you coming first to scope it all out? highly suggest that.
I hope to but am still trying to work it into my schedule. I do feel uncomfortable making this decision "sight unseen".
Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA, DL, *wd, IC
Just back from Kauai

I'm just back from our first ever trip to Hawaii. Had a great time, and spent the last 8 days on Kauai -- 4 at Princeville, 4 in Poipu.

I would definitely choose either the Hyatt in Poipu, or the Princeville. Either hotel is amazing, but I think the natural beauty of the Hanalei/Princeville area would trump other considerations for me. We were on their beach at sunset on Sunday, and there were 3 weddings at once, no doubt timed to catch the sunset. The beach there is big enough to accommodate the various groups easily. Restaurants are terrific -- can't speak about the hotel rooms because we weren't staying there. But I can't imagine a better location for a wedding than that fabulous view of Bali Hai. Of course, it could rain...but that could happen anywhere. All the staff at the Princeville hotel was most helpful and responsive.

Poipu is somewhat busier, less dramatic scenery (but a lovely surfing beach, big waves last weekend). We saw a wedding at the Poipu Hyatt last Saturday -- the resort's pools and public rooms are lovely.

It's a big decision, so I think a visit to check them both out is really the best way to go. You need to be very comfortable with your choice -- which will no doubt involve major $$ or points galore -- and the people who will make the magic happen. Congratulations on the wedding, and enjoy the dilemma of having such great options!
Old Oct 5, 2005, 12:26 pm

Without a doubt the Hyatt or Princeville -

Hyatt - better weather more going on in immediate vicinty (but not overrun)

Princeville - arguably more luxurious, a good chance of a lot of rain, not a lot of selection for restaurants outside hotel in immediate area (or hanalei)

just my 2 cents and congrats
Old Oct 5, 2005, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
If setting is your main concern, I would go with the Hyatt. The grounds can't be beat, and the weather is always better on the south shore.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by SanJoseOlivia
Hello All,

My absolute top priority is the beauty of the setting.

Thanks.

Given this statement I would have to choose Princeville.

As others mentioned, it is either Princeville or Hyatt. Hyatt has less chance of rain spoiling your event and is a great property but IMO it can't touch Princeville for view.

I would stay a few days at both properties but have the wedding at Princeville. Regardless of which one you choose, I'm sure you are going to be pleased. They are about an hour and 30 minutes apart -- Princeville on the north shore and Hyatt on the south.

Best Wishes!
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:00 am

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Kauai/Maui NON-Hotel Lodging Ideas

Due to an amazing (glitch?) NW fare of $82, I am FORCED (!!) to take a Hawaii vacation in mid-March.

However, because my plans are so last-minute, I'm struggling to use my Starwood points. I went onto www.vrbo.com to look for some rentals-by-owner on Maui and Kauai, but with a twist. Instead of cash, I offered them Starwood points. We'll see if I get any bites.

Anyhow, in general, are there any non-chain resort lodgings that you could recommend near Poipu (Kauai) and Wailea (Maui). Be grateful for any thoughts!
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:33 am

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
thoughts....

http://www.vrbo.com/900
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, PC, AA, UA
Poipu Kai

We stayed in a condo at Poipu Kai. The condos are great especially if you stay a week and want to make your own food once in a while. This is not the unit we stayed in but ours was just like it. I've heard that the weather in the north part of the island in March can be so so. It rained when we were there in March. Poipu is in the south and the weather was nice almost every day.

http://www.a1vacations.com/USA/Hawai...pu/p206584.htm
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UMP, SPG
I'd recommend Gloria's Spouting Horn B & B located, of course, right be Spouting Horn in Poipu-near Koloa. Directly on ocean, has a pool and 3 rooms with lanais right over the ocean. http://gloriasbedandbreakfast.com
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by turtlegirl
I'd recommend Gloria's Spouting Horn B & B located, of course, right be Spouting Horn in Poipu-near Koloa. Directly on ocean, has a pool and 3 rooms with lanais right over the ocean. http://gloriasbedandbreakfast.com
I'd second that. Gloria's has gotten AMAZING reviews and she is a great host!
Old Feb 27, 2006, 5:32 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
On Maui we stayed here,
one word: AWESOME!
The Puna Hoa Beach Apartments
http://www.punahoabeach.com/home.html
In the studio (murphy bed) rooms, the bed overlooks the ocean. We woke up w/whales playing in the ocean 1/4 mile from our bed.
there are small kitchens in the rooms so you can prepare food to really save $$$$
Old Feb 27, 2006, 7:53 pm

http://www.aliiresorts.com/index.htm
http://www.secretbeachkauai.com/index.html

Last edited by phyllisnnj; Feb 27, 2006 at 8:03 pm Reason: additional url
Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:42 am

Look on myresort.com, redweek, for timeshare condos for rent - renting a condo timeshare is SO much more pleasant than a hotel room and usually the same or even less money. I much prefer having a condo with separate living room, dining area full kitchen. Try Marriott (nice) or Westin (fantastic new) on Maui and Marriott on Kaui. The KoOlina beach villas on Oahu are at a BEAUTIFUL location about a half hour out of Honolulu.

We never use hotels for vacation anymore always rent condos for the week - Aruba is next in late April
Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Isn't trading Starwood points "illegal"? Look in their T&C's to make sure you are not doing anything to upset the people at Starwood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.