Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Which side of the plane to sit inter-island or to/from the mainland"

Consolidated "Which side of the plane to sit inter-island or to/from the mainland"

Old Jul 11, 2008, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Going to UA to change my A-B seats to C-D.

Mahalo.

dh
Old Dec 25, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
A slightly different question to all of the knowledgeable inter-island flyers.

We're flying on HA from HNL to OGG (Jan. 31), then OGG to KOA (Feb. 4), and then from KOA back to HNL (Feb. 8). All are already booked and are late morning or early afternoon flights -- and all under $75 each per person total

To get the best coastline views, will we be better off sitting on the left or right side of the plane for each flight? It's our first trip to the islands, other than a cruise from San Diego to Hawaii and return a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 4:21 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Left side outbound will give (presuming normal wind/take-off patterns) a nice view of downtown Honolulu, Waikiki, Diamond Head, Hawaii Kai; then south side of Moloka`i, then a nice view of Maui, then the north Kohala coast on the Big Island.

Return sit right side for the same views, in reverse order.

However, if you sit opposite of these suggestions in one direction, you will also have a nice view of the island of Kaho`olawe and Lana`i.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
LAX-HNL: Which side of the plane for best views?

Well, the title pretty much says it all, minus the fact that this is my first, long-awaited, trip & I won't even bring up the fact that AA has taken the 763's off this route

Any words of wisdom to ensure the best possible viewing both on arrival & departure is appreciated!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
The left side of the plane is the best for the final approach. Can't remember if you can see any of the other islands from that side on the inbound.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Cutting to the chase, before someone else says it, not much to see between the 2.

To HNL-probobly left side, but not much to see.

To LAX-Left side, assuming take off to the south (?), will give you a view of Honolulu, and Diamondhead on the climb out, and you should come in over Santa Barbara, down the coast, inland and then over Watts as you land.

HAVE A GOOD TIME!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Dia, HH Gold
Best view

SIPO...
The interesting views are as you approach and leave HNL, so Starboard In, Port Out. Enjoy the trip.

Last edited by aasjcflyer; Feb 4, 2009 at 8:50 am
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I just did this this past weekend. As stated above, left side is the best for viewing.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
PIPO (port in, port out,) has worked for trade winds, but I have also had good views SIPO. SIPO works on a long approach with a northerly downwind leg, turning way out past Wheeler and coming in over Pearl Harbor; PO works well departing and seeing Honolulu and Waikiki off the left.

Often you can see Maui to port on arrival as well, if it's clear and the Big Island vog isn't adding a bit of haze.

For a really great flight experience, take the Island Seaplane Service tour from the HNL-close seaplane base. Good pilots (Alaska trained) and well-maintained aircraft (I've been a licensed pilot, so I am picky,) and we did an awesome tour around the island anti-clockwise and back to base using the same route the Japanese pilots took during the Pearl Harbor attack. Great scenery, decent altitudes so you can see the island, and history in your pocket.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:58 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the FT Hawaii Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:04 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Every rule must have its exceptions, I guess, and on the way to the
HNL DO, we approached the airport from the east, and the view off
the right side over Diamond Head was gorgeous.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Left side it is!

Thanks everyone for your input; will update my seat selections accordingly.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
My general suggestion is LEFT side for arrival. This gives you a nice view of Mauna Kea/Mauna Loa (if it's not voggy) and Haleakala as you close in on Oahu. Then you've got a nice view of the Ewa plains, Pearl Harbor (including the USS Arizona Memorial), and the Aiea area on final approach.

This all changes if it's Kona wind arrivals. If so, you need to sit on the RIGHT side. That approach will give you a view of Waikiki, Downtown Honolulu, and greater Honolulu on final. The only way to know if it's Kona wind arrivals is to check the weather reports. Anytime the winds are coming out of the South/Southeast, there's a possibility that there's Kona wind approach. But do note that this is fairly uncommon--probably about 75-90% of the time, it's the regular trade wind approach.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...ight=wind+kona

For departures, it's LEFT side of the plane during regular trade wind departures. RIGHT side of the plane will give you lots of views of water. LEFT side will give you views of Downtown Honolulu, Waikiki, and greater Honolulu. During Kona wind departures, you should still select the LEFT side of the plane, even though the aircraft takes off in the opposite direction since the plane will loop around and still give you views of Honolulu.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by violist
Every rule must have its exceptions, I guess, and on the way to the
HNL DO, we approached the airport from the east, and the view off
the right side over Diamond Head was gorgeous.
me too! the kona winds were blowing a week ago, so the right side of the plane gave us a terrific view. ^
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:42 am

About two months ago on a Delta flight from SLC to HNL, the approach was unusual from the usual circle over the Ewa plains or the Diamond head Kona wind approach. Instead, the aircraft circumnavigated the entire north shore, did a 90 degree turn at Kaena point and then followed down the Waianae coast like a flight arrival from Asia or Kauai. Needless to say, the left side of the craft saw everything which was incredible since I never got that perspective of the North shore before.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.