Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Going to Pearl Harbor -- Questions & Suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: Marriott plat, DL Diamond
Definitely a holiday season

It was between Xmas and New Years... I too thought we were early at 8:30am... Anyway, just wanted to address the subject for others...
Old Jan 9, 2008, 8:16 pm

I have found that the trick is to get there before the tour buses.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bbbb
I have found that the trick is to get there before the tour buses.
What time do the buses start arriving?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 8:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
The buses start arriving between 715 and 745. I agree that you need to get there as early as you can. The memorial opens at 730 and the first movie starts at 745. I have been to the memorial many times. It never gets old touring it. You definitely need to watch your valuables. Even with video cameras in the parking lots and the security patrols, the thiefs are very brazen and will take anything. Same if you visit the Pali Lookout and the blowhole on the south side of the island.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold .25 MM :) & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
No bag of any type, including purse or camera bag.
A thief's dream! What about people who need to carry medicine, supplies to change a baby, "feminine" products , etc...? I'm going to HNL in a few months and will surely need to read up on the policies online before then.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Yes, I'm over 15!
A thief's dream! What about people who need to carry medicine, supplies to change a baby, "feminine" products , etc...? I'm going to HNL in a few months and will surely need to read up on the policies online before then.
A quote from National Park Service:

"Strict security measures prohibit purses, handbags, fanny packs, backpacks, camera bags, diaper bags, luggage and/or other items that offer concealment. Visitors may bring a camera and cam-recorder. A storage facility, operated by a private vendor, is available for visitors coming to the USS Arizona Memorial, USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park, the Battleship Missouri and the Pacific Aviation Museum. The facility can be found at the enterance to the USS Bowfin Sumarine Park. There is a nominal storage fee. The storage facility is in operation daily 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Visitors may use the same bag storage and parking stall for all three tours." (their misspellings)

Source: http://www.nps.gov/usar/planyourvisit/index.htm

"This Week Oahu" says the fee is $2. Aloha! Ken
Old Jan 10, 2008, 1:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I was there last month (photos linked below) and the storage facility was in operation. It's right in front of the torpedo exhibit.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 1:15 am

Programs: AA Gold .25 MM :) & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
A quote from National Park Service:
(their misspellings)

Thanks Ken! I'm still a little concerned about not having my life (purse) with me, but this info helps!
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:08 am
MXS

Programs: UA 1K, AA, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, Hertz 5-Star
I agree with the op - go early! Each time I go to Oahu I go to the memorial. When I was behind two tour buses I did get the afternoon tickets. With a rental car this was no problem as I was able to go to the beach and come back for the tour.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
What to expect next week (Mon/Tues)?

I'll be in Honolulu over 4th of July weekend; departing Wednesday, July 9. I'm thinking of doing the Pearl Harbor "thing" on either Monday or Tuesday. My principal interest is in seeing the Missouri and, of course, visiting the Arizona again.

The other posts in this thread seem to emphasize getting there early; but I'll have Mrs. Clover with me and I know the earliest we will get there is about 8 a.m. How long might the lines be at that point?

Does it make any difference in what order I see either the Memorial or the Missouri (in terms of efficient use of time that is)? If we take a cab to Pearl, will we be able to readily get one to return to our hotel in Waikiki? How long should I alot for what I want to accomplish? Can I be done by 3?

Mahalo, as always for any suggestions.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 9:14 pm

Normally, 8:00 AM should not require more than a one hour wait. Hopefully someone can comment on the 4th. My guess is Tue. would be the better day. While I have not done the Missouri, since it requires a fee, I doubt if there is a wait. Therefore, my advice is to do the Arizona first. 3 PM should be more than enough time. Being a bus person, I can't answer the cab question. Bus service is good. At this point you are probably saying, why did that guy even bother answering. Oh well! Aloha, Have fun!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:43 am

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Concur about doing the Arizona first. @:-)

Since the Mighty Mo is a paid attraction, it seems to have a more predictable schedule, although I will say that it can get darn hot on deck in the early afternoon.

And visitors to PH this weekend are in luck: the USS Kitty Hawk, the last conventional powered aircraft carrier in the US Navy, is in port currently and is likely to remain so through the weekend.^

She's pretty easy to spot, since she' sitting at Hotel pier, just across from the USS Arizona visitor center. AFAIK she is not giving tours.

But you'll have a chance to gaze on capital ships from 3 different eras in one swoop.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by tednugent(no relation)
Concur about doing the Arizona first. @:-)

Since the Mighty Mo is a paid attraction, it seems to have a more predictable schedule, although I will say that it can get darn hot on deck in the early afternoon.

And visitors to PH this weekend are in luck: the USS Kitty Hawk, the last conventional powered aircraft carrier in the US Navy, is in port currently and is likely to remain so through the weekend.^

She's pretty easy to spot, since she' sitting at Hotel pier, just across from the USS Arizona visitor center. AFAIK she is not giving tours.

But you'll have a chance to gaze on capital ships from 3 different eras in one swoop.
That will be cool to see the Kitty Hawk; maybe even flying in on Saturday. I think we have window seats in F on the right side of the plane so here's hoping our approach has a good view of her.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Will we have enough time for Pearl Harbor (Arizona Memorial}?

On Sat Aug 16, we will arrive at HNL, from interisland flight on HA - at 9:30 AM. We will rent a car, and then go to the Marriott K0-Olina Resort at 11 AM, for 1 hr, to complete purchase of a timeshare resort.

We will be flying on an AC flight to Vancouver - leaving about 10 PM.

The question is whether we will be able to see the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, realizing that one has to get time tickets, and they may run out quickly, being a Saturday.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:11 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Can you swing through on your way out to Ko'olina and get some tix for later in the day?

I'll confess to not being familiar with how the Nat'l Park Service passes out the tickets.

Of course, even if you don't get to the USS Arizona , the USS Missouri and the USS Bowfin are pretty interesting, too.

Good luck and congrats on the purchase!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.