Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Going to Pearl Harbor -- Questions & Suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:32 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
No need to pay for a tour unless you need transportation... also, a tour might actually not allow you enough time to see and experience everything. Such a moving and emotional place.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: American, Hawaiian, United
You can reserve tickets on line. If they are sold out there are still tickets available as they only sell 80% of the tickets. If you go on a Wednesday and have a long wait you can go to the USS Missouri or USS Bowfin museum while you wait. On Wednesday the Aloha Stadium Swap meet is just a block away. Everything you can get in Waikiki but cheaper.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:26 pm

We decided to use a tour because we needed the transportation and on line showed no tickets left. Got there and they picked up the tickets (which were not reserved, so don't know why we couldn't get them on line). We separated into smaller groups based on the time our boat to the Arizona was scheduled. Everyone else got to the memorial, but they stopped running due to wind just as we were about to board.

Mind you, there's no charge by the Park Service. We were out about $35 each for the "Pearl Harbor tour" aka ride out there, and no tour of the memorial. No refund, but we could have rebooked if we hadn't been leaving HNL the next day. Next time, I'd plan ahead and get the tickets online, then either take the bus (but takes over an hour) or a taxi.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
If it was me, I'd go one of the first days when you get out here just in case there are wind/boat issues, so you can try again.

As for getting out there, I'd buy tickets online and rent a car and go out. Do it early in the morning and use the car for the rest of the day to explore the island.

That's just me.....
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Bearcat06
If it was me, I'd go one of the first days when you get out here just in case there are wind/boat issues, so you can try again.

As for getting out there, I'd buy tickets online and rent a car and go out. Do it early in the morning and use the car for the rest of the day to explore the island.

That's just me.....
Good advice. +1
Old May 2, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by 747FC
Good advice. +1
I had some friends here 2 weeks ago. I took the day off and I drove them out....

We bought tickets online for a 1030AM show-time a couple of days out.

Before we got there, we stopped at Zippy's on Nimitz, ate a good/cheap breakfast and headed out.

Once we finished, we went to North Shore then circled back around thru Waimanalo and ended up at Elks for Happy Hour.

It worked very well for our needs.....
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:03 am

Pearl Harbor on Memorial Day?

Looks like Memorial Day will fall on part of our visit on Oahu, and we're planning to visit Pearl Harbor; is this a day we would want to avoid Pearl Harbor because of crowds/etc, will they do anything special/different on this day, or will it not make a difference either way?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
You can visit the Museums for free and without a ticket, but you will need a ticket to go to the Memorial itself.

I would imagine it will be very crowded. But, if you call a local tour operator, or the concierge at your hotel, they can get you on a tour that will guarantee admission to the memorial. Or, you can wait until 60 days and get free tickets from the National Park Service on their website. Keep in mind that the tour operators have standing orders and many of the early times will not be available.

If you really want to go on that day, I think paying for a tour is the easiest/best way to go. I don't think I'd attempt it on my own.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
You can visit the Museums for free and without a ticket, but you will need a ticket to go to the Memorial itself.
The visitor center (grounds and exhibits) and ticket to the USS Arizona are free. Securing a walkup ticket to the USS Arizona may not be available or only available late in the day.

Tickets to the USS Arizona can be reserved in two months in advance at National Parks. Or get there at 6am (an hour before opening) and be the first ones at the memorial (first ~1000 in line get tickets to USS Arizona). Visits to the submarine, battleship and the museum require a fee.

I suggest getting there at 6am, park in limited spaces, and you're done before the big crowds arrive.

Last edited by Troopers; Feb 17, 2016 at 3:39 pm
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:44 am

Isn't that what I said?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Isn't that what I said?
Yes but I wanted to clarify.

The USS Bowfin Submarine Museum, the battleship USS Missouri and the Pacific Aviation Museum are not free, and require an paid admission ticket.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
https://pearlharboroahu.com/pearl-ha...rs/oahu-tours/

Call and ask. That is the best information you will get. They can tell you what to do based on prior years.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I know bags are not allowed at PH. Does anyone know if a small, clear plastic shoulder bag would be OK? I need to carry protein snacks for a medical condition and with a wallet, phone, etc., two pockets won't hold everything.

Is any day generally less busy during September-October? I know to avoid days cruise ships are in port.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:54 am

It's always busy.

There is a kiosk where you can drop your bags/things and they are locked up (I think). You can leave all the non-urgent items there. I left my purse, with everything in it and only took my phone.

As for the best days, go on to the National Parks Service website and make a reservation for the day you would like to go. I had a reservation later in the day and was able to switch it to an earlier time the same day first thing in the morning. The tour operators holding the space release it in the morning and they're made available.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Bumping this very old thread to ask about Pearl Harbor visits in general. First time Hawaii visit, and definitely want to visit PH. We have tickets for the Arizona already (yea!) but I am trying to wade through all the information on the various sites and tours. Our travel preference is to do it our selves without a tour but want to make sure I understand options. It looks like we can drive there, park and store luggage (we will have carryon type luggage and a backpack) and visit the two memorials and the two museums. Please confirm that
USS Missouri memorial is free
The Aviation and submarine museums are paid admission and we can buy a tour or just buy a ticket to the museums
We can park once for all of these activities and waik/shuttle between PH itself and the museums.

The Arizona tour is at 3pm so we will do everything else before - how much time should we plan to do it all?

Not sure if I am even asking the right questions, but the website for the tours needs some interpreting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.