Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Maui Activities & 'Must Do'" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2010, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by fajimenez
I don't know what you're going to get for an answer, but you've added a few items to my list for my upcoming trip!
Glad I could help. Ideas, anyone?
Old May 12, 2010, 9:06 pm

Here are a few:

--Do you enjoy Hawaiian music? If so, plan on heading over to the Napili Kai Beach Resort on a Wednesday evening for the Masters of Slack Key Guitar Concert Series. The host is almost always George Kahumoku and he frequently has other well-known players in attendance (this next month will feature Ledward Ka'apana, Dennis Kamakahi and Sonny Lim--all legends in Hawaiian music.

http://www.slackkey.com/schedule.htm

--Watch the wind surfers one afternoon (best wind is usually then) from Ho'okipa Beach Park.

--Go to one of the farmers' markets. The Saturday morning (7 am to 1 pm) one at Maui Community College (in Kahului at 310 Ka'ahumanu Ave.) is a combination swap meet and farmers' market with crafts as well as edibles. Admission is 50 cents; free parking.
Old May 12, 2010, 9:39 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Lots of great hiking to river pools beyond Paia. Also lots of great hikes through the bamboo forests further on. I love doing the bamboo forests by myself and just listening to the bamboo clack in the breeze.

If you haven't eaten at Hali'imaile General Store, give it a go.

Cafe des Amis - very casual in Paia, but good and I usually always meet someone there ready to tell me about aliens on the volcano. I enjoy it.

Moana Bakery and Cafe in Paia is great for breakfast. A few outlets around there for tropical-scented shampoos and stuff.

Mana Foods, a market in Paia, has a great selection of organic chocolate and other good stuff.

Go to Makawao. Get a cheap massage at the massage school there, buy orchids at the Tropical Orchid Farm in Haiku (decent-sized growers - you'll see unique things).

I love reading the bulletin boards around there and finding some off-beat things to go to.

If you did all that, that would be kind of your beach bum trip to Maui. You may just come back with dreds

Last edited by l etoile; May 13, 2010 at 8:27 am
Old May 12, 2010, 10:09 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Buy a condo. We fell in love with Maui many many years ago and there came a time when we believed that we had seen and done it all. Ultimately, we decided was that we did not want to enjoy Maui as tourists but as residents. Big difference. We bought a Kapalua Bay Villa and loved and owned it for several years. This was only for the pleasure of our family and closest friends. Great indulgence leaving our clothes in the closets, snorkel gear..well, it really was a second home as it was not a time share. I hope this answers your question. When one falls in love with Hawaii, it becomes more of a way-of-living experience than a sightseeing experience. Before I became a Maui homeowner, I visited all of the sites you mentioned. After..just kicked back and enjoyed my home and neighbors. Now, I am more inclined to visit the Big Island (Mauna Kea Beach Hotel). We visit as tourists but plant ourselves in one spot because we did the sightseeing many years earlier. Now, it is just about relaxing.
Old May 13, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Little Beach - Makena?. . .
Old May 13, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Try another island?
Old May 13, 2010, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Buy a condo.
Nice that you could afford it but I can't. Wish i could.

We've been to the other islands and Maui is in our "top two".

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I like most of them.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:51 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by philemer
Nice that you could afford it but I can't. Wish i could.

We've been to the other islands and Maui is in our "top two".

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I like most of them.
Philemer, I guess I should have emphasized the beauty of just staying put for a couple of weeks. You can rent a condo at Kapalua, our former home is now a rental property (I have relatives who rented it). We loved the Kapalua area as it was far enough away from Kaanapali so we did not feel as if we we part of the madding crowd. It is really nice to get into the island atmosphere. You go to the local Safeway, or closer local market, cook and barbeque at home, no worries about when a maid will knock on the door. I could go one and on...
Feel free to contact me
O2K
Old May 14, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Pampering??

Well, you have done most, if not all of the Maui highlights. Bravo! Among the most memorable experiences we have had on Maui is staying at the Hana Maui Hotel. Bliss. Seclusion, quiet, no phones, no stress, complete pampering. . . a bit of heaven on earth. (Again, the HMH is very very quiet and secluded, so if you want "nightlife" skip it.) Along the same lines for "pampering" - the Four Seasons Maui on the Kihei/Makena south side of the island is the second bit of Maui "heaven". ioho. Have a wonderful trip! Again!
Old May 14, 2010, 11:47 am

A Few Things

You might want to take a trip over to Molaki. I hear the snorkeling and beaches are fantastic.

As far a resturants check out the following if you have not done so:

The Gazebo for great breakfast

Also give Lahaina Grill and David Paul's new Island Grill a try.

There is also a new place in Whaler's Village called Kane and Taro that is suppose to be very good.

A Duke's also opened up in Kaanapali. If you like Hula grill...give Duke's a try and order the Hula pie.

If you have never done the Old Lahaina Luau...do it.

Also, Mala's Ocean Tavern is a great spot.

Lastly, go on up and check out the town of Makawao. Very cool...like going to the old West!

Enjoy!
Old May 14, 2010, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Philemer, I guess I should have emphasized the beauty of just staying put for a couple of weeks. You can rent a condo at Kapalua, our former home is now a rental property (I have relatives who rented it). We loved the Kapalua area as it was far enough away from Kaanapali so we did not feel as if we we part of the madding crowd.
O2K
We are timeshare folks. It's cheaper, in most cases, than renting but we are limited because there aren't many good timeshares (that we have access to) on Maui. Nothing in Kapalua or Wailea available to us. We're spending two weeks at the Maui Schooner in Kihei and one week at Kahana Falls in Kahana area. Relaxing is our favorite "activity".

Originally Posted by davesam12
Well, you have done most, if not all of the Maui highlights. Bravo! Among the most memorable experiences we have had on Maui is staying at the Hana Maui Hotel. Bliss. Seclusion, quiet, no phones, no stress, complete pampering. . . a bit of heaven on earth. (Again, the HMH is very very quiet and secluded, so if you want "nightlife" skip it.) Along the same lines for "pampering" - the Four Seasons Maui on the Kihei/Makena south side of the island is the second bit of Maui "heaven". ioho. Have a wonderful trip! Again!
Sometime we would LOVE to do this.

Originally Posted by MauiFan
You might want to take a trip over to Molaki. I hear the snorkeling and beaches are fantastic.

As far a restaurants check out the following if you have not done so:

The Gazebo for great breakfast

Also give Lahaina Grill and David Paul's new Island Grill a try.

There is also a new place in Whaler's Village called Kane and Taro that is suppose to be very good.

A Duke's also opened up in Kaanapali. If you like Hula grill...give Duke's a try and order the Hula pie.

If you have never done the Old Lahaina Luau...do it.

Also, Mala's Ocean Tavern is a great spot.

Lastly, go on up and check out the town of Makawao. Very cool...like going to the old West!

Enjoy!
Been to Makawao a number of times. Love it. We WILL try the Mala O.T. and the new Duke's. Thanks!
Old May 14, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Try Merriman's in Kapula. Great food and nice atomosphere though not cheap.

--Jon
Old May 14, 2010, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Try Merriman's in Kapula.
Good suggestion. Save room for the chocolate purse!
Old May 15, 2010, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Spago's at Four Seasons.. on a budget.. go in on their pre-fixe menu before 6pm or after 8:30 pm.. Half the price.. When we went, we decided to splurge..

So regular sitting around $270US.. but pre-fixe $135US tax and tip.. and see why Wolfgang Puck is famous.. and check out the grounds of Wailea to boot.
Old May 15, 2010, 11:46 am

Thinking a bit more ...I know there are threads here to that delve just into dining on Maui. You might try finding those.

Pacific'O and I'O (partner restaurants across from each other in Lahaina) are good

Mala is good too (also in Lahaina) http://malaoceantavern.com/menus.html

Also look up the Olivine Pools and the Waihe'e Valley trail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.