Wiki Posts
Search

Is Kauai Helicoptering worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2003, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Is Kauai Helicoptering worth it?

People rave about it but at 179 per person I was wondering if it really is all its cracked up to be?

Thoughts?

Ken

------------------
Old Jan 28, 2003, 10:53 am

I took the trip a few years ago. Depending on the time you take the trip, it can be rainy and not much to see through the rain. The other consideration is safety. Some of the operators on Kauai have had accidents (which their ads fail to advise). IMHO, you are much better off taking one of the boat cruises (e.g. Captain Andy's) for much less money and much more sightseeing (5.5-6 hours).
Old Jan 28, 2003, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, SW A-List
Took the trip last summer, and it was one of the highlights of our trip. Call ahead and reserve a window seat on the right side (I think, check the guidebooks). If they say you can not request it, call their bluff and threaten to call someone else. Being on the right side really makes the difference due to the standard path around the island. If you are planning on taking pictures (and the quality is important for you) get one of the aircraft designed for this. Our pictures were horrible.

I think, some of the people in the southern part of the island offer a trip where you can combine the copter ride with swimming and snorkeling (I think you jump off the helicopter into the water, but that sounds ridiculous to me now).

I don't know about the safety, I guess that would make me worry some. Our guide was a former navy pilot, so I felt fine with him.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 3:03 pm

I couldn't disagree [with SFFlyman] more. Go with Jack Harter's tours and you'll never regret it. There is simply no other way to see and fully appreciate how beautiful the enitre incredible island is.

[This message has been edited by dhacker (edited 01-28-2003).]
Old Jan 28, 2003, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
I agree with dhacker, although I can't remember exactly which company I used. There is one annoying point: even though you've paid a fortune for the ride, the pilots still put up little signs begging for tips.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 11:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
It has been several years, but I used Safari Helicopters and enjoyed every minute of it. I would do it again in a heartbeat! Plus the video of our flight was well made and I love watching it ... such good memories.

http://www.safariair.com/
Old Jan 29, 2003, 9:41 am

Other than the northwest section of the island, which is not accessable by road, there is nothing one will see from a helicopter (on a very short, costly, and cramped flight) that cannot be seen in much better detail from the ground or the ocean. Sitting by the window is not guaranteed due to weight distribution requirements. That decision is made when the passengers arrive. For "worth", I would rather spend $100 for the ability to be on a catamaran for several hours, go snorkeling, see spinner dolphins and turtles, see the NaPali coastline up close, have a nice lunch, and relax. If the price of the helicopter tour was more in line with the time spent, it would make more sense.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 9:38 am

3 years ago I went on an hour helicopter tour in Kaui and It was very enjoyable and offered some breathtaking views. The price is steep though and like someone else said there are other ways to see the coast that our cheaper and give you more time. SO, I would say that I did enjoy it and didn't feel ripped off afterwards because I did get to see the whole island. But for a more budget oriented trip, you may want to pass.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 4:07 pm

Any other recent heli trips on Kauai? I'm seriously considering it for our up coming trip in December. I guess a lot will depend on the weather though.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I hate to be grim, but make sure you note the safety records of the helicopters you're flying.

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000280.html

Aloha
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bbinchi
It has been several years, but I used Safari Helicopters and enjoyed every minute of it. I would do it again in a heartbeat! Plus the video of our flight was well made and I love watching it ... such good memories.

http://www.safariair.com/
Just back from Kaua'i, and after years of swearing myself, and my clients away from helicopters due to safety issues, we decided to give it a try and selected Safari strictly on their safety record and Part 135 (FAA certified air taxi operator) operations status.

The trip was amazing, and we saw more of Kaua'i than we ever thought possible including drops into Na Pali coastal canyons to view hidden waterfalls, and excellent views of the coast, Waimea Canyon and Hanalei.

While bad weather could wash out a trip like this, lucky for us it was sunny and perfect, allowing for great photos and videos. Our helicopter's camera malfunctioned, so we didn't get the DVD, but have a wonderful collection of photos and videos from our cameras. Safari will cancel trips for bad weather and poor visibility - not just for safety, but they don't want the bad customer response from a wasted $180-220 trip.

Some points to consider:

1. wear dark clothing to minimize reflections
2. try for later afternoon or early morning flights for more subtle lighting, however afternoons could bring clouds to Na Pali canyons and Waimea Canyon
3. the computer will assign seats based on weight and balance - while somewhat disappointing not to get your favored seat, this is the correct and safest way of balancing the helicopter - so go with a couple friends or family members and at least one will have a window seat
3. right or left side didn't matter with Safari - we spun around to give everyone equal chance at the same views
4. we are all experienced flyers, and I myself am a fixed wing pilot - but trust me, you will need some sort of motion sickness remedy taken before the flight. The combination of bumps, staring through your camera, spinning your head around to look at something, and the vibration will eventually send your stomach into lurch-land, and on our flight, everyone was sick to some degree.

Safari also operates on the Big Island, but we did not have a chance to take their flight to view lava.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by SFFlyman
Other than the northwest section of the island, which is not accessable by road, there is nothing one will see from a helicopter (on a very short, costly, and cramped flight) that cannot be seen in much better detail from the ground or the ocean. Sitting by the window is not guaranteed due to weight distribution requirements. That decision is made when the passengers arrive.

I disagree with how much more of the island you can see this way. A lot of of Kauai has very limited accessibility especially if you don't want to hike for miles and miles and days on end.

2) if you go with the doors off option at Jack Harter you are guaranteed a window seat because the MD500 only seats 4 plus the pilot!

3) We did the above doors off option and at 6' 2" I never felt cramped even in the back, and the views as well as the feeling, with the doors off are awesome.

4) We did tons of activities on Kauai and this was our favorite and judging from TA forums, of which the Kauai one is especially helpful, this is true of most visitors
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Expensive but worth it! Took the Jack Harter MD500 a few years ago and it was definitely the highlight of our trip. Great way to start your visit as it gives you a great overview (literally I guess) of the island that you just don't get from the ground, or water.
  • The MD500 doors-off option is the only way I would go! Absolutely incredible and best for photography.
  • Dress a bit warm and make sure pockets are zipped and cameras are strapped and secured.
  • The lightest person of the 4 passengers will get the middle seat in the front - still a great view.
  • Left or right side didn't seem to make any difference.

Boat tours along Napali and hikes in Waimea give great views and are great alternatives if budget is a concern, but the helicopter tour was money well spent in my opinion.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Landing LIH tomorrow, will do the doors off flight, with the Cannon. After a day's rest from the 11 hour flight,
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
From a ex Big Island Tour pilot. Do TAKE A TRIP!!! It will be the highlight of your trip. Safety? Statistics are much better recently. You are in more danger in your rental car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.